Change of cap badge

Discussion in 'RAC' started by Matelotsoldier, Jan 2, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I am currently serving in RLC as a driver......................... (the quickest way into the army at the time not my first choice, I originally wanted to Join the Cav and now I have had enough of feeling my IQ points falling away) I have decided to change cap badge after a giving it a year and a half in unit to see if I liked it the time has come to go back to my first choice.

Basically my question is how hard is it to change??
    I have all Licences bar track and bike licence and am ranked within the top 10 privates in my sqdn after a year in my sqdn (the first 6 months my unit were on tour).

I Joined Jan 2010 so not been in long and am aged 30 so I really want good prospects as it sucks having 7 years of military experience (ex submariner of 5 years from 2000-2005 hence the user name) and having at least a 5 year wait to pick up and still be treated like a douche bag.
    I am used to a close nit bunch of people being an ex submariner and my bro-in-law is in HCAV and has filled me in as to the mess functionality and its more up my street.
    I cant handle the base attitude of some of the people I work with and am fully aware you will get that everywhere but back chatting NCO's etc!!.........nah not me Im a product borne of respect and doing what im told then questioning it I.E respect for my seniors regardless of age.

so like I said is it difficult for someone like me to change cap badge or is there anything I can do to make it easier to do.

Cheers All
  2. Join the infantry!
  3. I'm not sure but I think you might be stuck to the RLC, didn't you sign a form of some sort saying that you knew what you were joining and that you couldn't transfer unless the Army wanted you to.
  4. You will be able to apply to retrade. But the Army is about to get much smaller and you might struggle, aged 30, to get across to anywhere else.

Good luck
  5. Only knew one bloke that re-badged (other than going for a commission) from RE to REME and this was in the 80s. Think it will depend on the Army needing Cav troopers and how much your training has already cost the MOD.

Thought about trying the RAF, for a full house?
  6. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Its worth a try, although it may depend on your choice of regiment as some are finding it very hard to recruit and retain whilst others are comfortably manned. Try either the QDG or the SCOTS DG. They'll give you the best chance.
  7. AGC to Inf, although the clerk was posted to this Scots Btn. Rebadged and all round good egg.
  8. Have known a lot of lads to re-badge.

Best thing to do is speak to your OC or your RCMO, they will start the ball rolling.

What regiment did you have in mind?
  9. If you re-badge to the RAC you will not be able to promote before becoming a full crewman (driver, gunner and Pt2 sigs) this can take about 18 months to 2 years. Something to bear in mind if you are looking for fast promotion. You also have to wonder if your new Regiment would just take advantage of all your licences and just bung you into MT Troop, cynical but possible.
  10. Highly Likely!!
  11. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Maybe so but at least he'd be an RAC Soldier and halfway to the demigod role of RAC Crewman (as the nomenclature was back in the day). If the OP shows enough je ne sais quoi to get out of Logistics and into Cavalry and keeps on pushing, at least he has an aim in life. If he doesn't try, he'll never know.

Oh and my two penn'orth is Light Dragoons, but then it would be given my background.

Oh and for a third penn'orth, I wore three regular cap badges: RMP (until I told them where to shove their truncheons: had to buy out and re-enlist), 15/19H and RAPC.

And since you ask, I left 15/19H for RAPC cos I had done most of what I had wanted to do in seven years, I could see writing on the wall for me as a career and I then started a seven-year resettlement course, coming out as a mainframe software engineer.
  12. I Agree, but he should understand that things may not move as fast as he would like. If he has the patience he will gain a more rewarding career!
  13. Was down the recruiters last week (not for me, I am a bit past joining up - was with my nephew). I was suprised to be told that RAC are recruiting quite heavily at the moment - I would have thought that with all their big noisy tanks being sold off/mothballed they would not need too many places filled. Was told it was because the RAC as as busy as ever having rerolled a bit into drivers for all the new fangled vehicles on HERRICK and taking on more of a armoured infantry role.
  14. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

When Light Dragoons did Battlegroup Afghanistan for Panther's Claw a couple of years ago, they were fully up to strength yet needed to disband B Sqn for the duration to get bums on seats in the battlegroup. B Sqn's orbat (in Swanton Morley) was eight all ranks, OC, SSM, SQMS and a couple of others.

Go figure as the septics might say.