Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Change of Cap badge before training?

McCrow

Crow
Hi there lads (and lasses) im starting phase 1 for the role of tank crewman in the Kings Royal Hussars in a few weeks. Ive started looking more into the restructuring of the royal armoured corps under army 2020 and i keep getting this nagging feeling that the light (Jackal mounted) cavalry or armoured (scimitar/fres scout) cavalry role will be a lot more useful and therefore likely used a lot more in the future. Its kind of making me feel ive made the wrong choice! Obviously its taking the piss if i decide i want to switch cap badges right before training but is it even possible to do that at all? before or during phase 1 (Im not arsed which)? I have not sworn my oath yet nor have i signed anything as they do that on your first day in training now.

If youre wondering yes I do have alternative regiments in mind.. Light Dragoons for the light (jackal mounted) cavalry and either of the soon to be amalgamated (Queens Royal Lancers and 9th/12th Royal Lancers (The Royal Lancers) for armoured cavalry (scimitar/fres scout). For what its worth I came out with a high A grade on selection with a 1.5 run time of 9.30 bang on.

Advice/Info: Welcomed
Banter: Encouraged

Cheers

Mate, hope this reaches you in time.

First things first, if you are thinking about going into the Light Cav side of things, keep in mind that Light Cav is more infantry based than actual armoured. While this is not a bad thing, just keep in mind that you will be doing a lot of walking as opposed to driving. You have been warned! Same same in many ways for Armoured Recce.

As for regiment choice, it depends on where you're from. I mean, if you don't like the cut of Northerners, you probably won't be happy in The Light Dragoons. Check which regiments recruit from your area, unless you want to really shake things up and mix with different people.

As for wanting to change your badge, sort it out before you join and do phase one. They will tell you that its no dramas to change once in and while this is true, it takes forever to do it and you will find that at Phase 1 they will say wait for Phase 2 and Phase 2 will say wait for Regiment and once there, you're stuck! My advice would be that you change before training, though it might delay you, as it will save you loads of headaches and more time in training establishments (avoid like the plague).

Remember, there are loads of jobs in the Army and it pays dividends to do your research.

Good luck!

Yeah im still here mate got another 12 days yet!

Yeahh thats cool with me.. Seen a few posts where its reffered to as 'cavfantry' so kinda got the idea and to be fair i had infantry down as one of my choices anyway so i know what im getting myself in for!

Northerners? No problem.. Im from merseyside haha!

Been on the horn to capita trying to get hold of my csm for days now but shes always on her bloody lunch at every hour of the day i swear!! Should have it switched before the week ends so no worries! Aye i know mate it was just one of those last minute change of heart things that kind of got me haha

Cheers matey

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)