Chandlers: pirates boast of plans to 'reinvest' ransom in more kidnappings

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by IndependentBoffin, Nov 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Fronty

Fronty Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Ok, piracy is bad, but you have to agree with their business plans here.

They have a lot of spare cash, so it makes a lot of sense to invest that in growing their infrastructure and capabilities. Better, or more, weapons, bigger and faster attack boats, more "motherships". And it will only get worse as more ships are taken and more ransoms are paid. Anarcho-capitalism at its finest.

Of course, the opportunities to sell them said craft are there for the more unscrupulous individuals, but you could also sell them ships that have been set up to scuttle when they are put to sea. Just a thought...
  2. How to Solve The Somalian Problem in Three Easy Steps.

Step 1: Pay the ransoms for any hostages still held, so there are no real people left. Just Skinnies.

Step 2: Enforce a short-term total exclusion zone around coast. Once in place, sink any any ship that tries to leave.

Step 3; Turn Somalia into a Glass Carpark. Apart from glowing in the dark and being dead, not a huge difference to
    the lives of most Skinnies.

Job-jobbed, back of the net.
  3. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

simples well done
  4. pirates plan to continue piracy - shock horror

i hear there's an aircraft carrier nobody can afford floating about, aswell as some old Sea Harriers nobody wants anymore. i'm currently trying to get some cash together to buy the carrier and half a dozen harriers (will only really need one). all navies can withdraw their token "look we're doing something" ships and i'll face the problem personally, not for free of course. Mohammad Happyday Goodluck Imbezi won't know what hit him. the greatest threat will be publicity seeking lawyers and sensationalist journos.

now, i need some people with experience of floaty things and at least one pilot and some aircraft mechanics?
  5. Fronty

Go simple... Why bother with all these expensive things like fast jets and carriers, just use an old looking freighter with modern internals that's big enough to hold a Sea Cobra and a few dozen retired booties that happen to be armed to the teeth. Add in a few surplus rigid raiders, maybe a second-hand surveillance drone or two, a PS3 and widescreen telly for the break room, and you have yourself a winning combination.

I reckon you could probably get the whole thing up and running for less than the cost of a decent sized ship's ransom.

And no, I have not given this serious thought, honest. Now, if anyone needs me, I will be on eBay looking for second hand Israeli drones.
  6. Somali piracy is such a lucrative and growing business because:
    1) People (not just govts but also peaceniks, the Somali diaspora, etc.) just keep paying off the ransoms
    2) Most merchant ships are unarmed
    3) Navies are responding reactively to piracy incidents, rather than via...
    4) ...robust pre-emptive action

Although a naval blockade around Somalian waters is technically an act of war, I do not see how the Somalian economy is in any state to notice, pirates excepted.
  7. the Ark Royal still up for sale or have the humourless Ebay staff taken down the listing? :)
  8. Fronty

9. 1)Agreed. And thats not going to stop anytime soon.
    2)Mostly true. Quite a few are placing security teams aboard and their capabilites vary widley depending on the ethos and nationaility of the owners/team. ie British* teams tend to non-lethal solutions whereas the Russians are much more likely to have a bunch of guys with AK's. There is also a rather well thought out tendancy to make on-board 'safe room's' and have the crew retire to those and start screaming for help on the radio. This has worked quite well so far but 'costs cash.
    3)Which involves catching thme red-handed. As the difference between a boat full of fishermen and a boat full of Pirates is rather hard to tell. Especially if they ditch the boomsticks over the side. Although lets face it an AK is roughly the equivilant of newspaper in that neck of the world. Everyone is armed just 'cos.
    4)Which the tree-huggers etc wont allow. There's a virtualy unexhaustable supply of Ak wielding manpower and actualy stopping the investors higher up the food chain is going well beyond a bit of raiding and NGS.
  10. The Western Navies are facing a steep learning curve in dealing with piracy - but are learning fast. Remember that they have to contend with an operating area the size of the continental United States, limited asset number which have other roles to perform, weak/ambiguous ROE, a lack of political will, etc...
  11. I'm thinking about becoming a pirate, good money, easy work and lots of fresh air.
  12. 1) Sad but true.
    2) I prefer the Russian solution. Elegant, simple and effective. Let's face it who wants to face a skiff full of RPGs and AKs when all you have are water cannons, Tasers and baton rounds?
    3) I do not think Somalia has any blue water fishing capability.
    4) Actually I thought more about it and decided that my "innocent until guilty" ethos should also extend to suspect craft. Exceptions to one's principles, once made are easily repeated.

Therefore I think the best solution is to arm the merchant ships with effective weapons like .50 cals, gatling guns and their own rockets.
  13. The problem with relying on navies to police those waters is that you may suppress Somali piracy but what about Abu Sayyaf piracy off Phillipines/Borneo? Or anywhere else? It will be an endless game of cat and mouse.

The easiest solution is to let commercial vessels carry basic armaments and make it an insurance requirement to arm themselves.
  14. Time for Q ships to make a return!