Chances reserves getting called up for public disorder?

i would have betted on, a recall of all police onto 12 hour shifts,a recall of hobby bobbies, army on stag to release MDP/CNC for policing before anything

Slim to none.

Unless plastic shields run out, and we need the human variety.
Or the cops need some back up but you'd be out with police officers and only doing what they tell you to. Patrolling the streets with a gat, no chance.

I'm sure there'll be enough rioters without the need to call out STABs to augment them.

I'm sure there'll be enough rioters without the need to call out STABs to augment them.
They'd only be interested in the alcohol to take back to their drinking clubs.

I thought we only had 11 soldiers left?

social unrest being reported in Italy tonight after 20 day lock down.

The most you will see is hearts and minds with smiling regulars in a show of support. A bit like ‘everyone loves a fireman’. We are a long way away from that IMHO

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I joined a 700 meter long queue to get a loaf of bread the other day. In London, in the 21st century where most people have the patience and attention span of a 3 year old child.

I didn't really mind, it was sunny and warm and nice to be out however I watched all manner of people obeying the 2 meter distance rule, nobody giving the Mohammad the skinny Tesco shelf filler manning the door any trouble.

I just thought, there is no way that the general public are going to continue being this patient and obedient for much longer. They will have to have police or security on the line to keep people from loosing their patience, pushing in line etc.. I'll be amazed if we get two more weeks into this and public order is still holding.

It might actually take a platoon of stabs at each super market to provide a visible presence to deter people form acting up.

The optics of this, combined with a switched off economy, massive levels of debt, unemployed, mass graves, thousands dead and now soldiers on the streets are never going to be forgotten. Boris knows this, he knows that this will be spun to make him and conservatives look like a military junta in future elections. If it is at all possible to keep the army out of sight, including the reserves, he will not use them.

If this teaches us anything, it should be that we need to expand the police reserves (or whatever they are called) for it should be them working on public order, not the army.

Last edited:
I joined a 700 meter long queue to get a load of bread the other day. In London, in the 21st century where most people have the patience and attention span of a 3 year old child.

I didnt really mind, it was sunny and warm and nice ot be out however I watched all manner of people obeying the 2 meter distance rule, nobody giving the Mohammad the skinny tesco shelf filler manning the door any trouble.

I just thought, there is no way that the general public are going to continue being this patient and obedient for much longer. They will have to have police or security on the line to keep people from loosing their patience, pushing in line etc.. I'll be amazed if we get two more weeks into this and public order is still holding.

It might actually take a platoon of stabs at each super market to provide a visible presence to deter people form acting up.

The optics of this, combined with an switched off economy, massive levels of debt, unemployed, mass graves, thousands dead and now soldiers on the streets are never going to be forgotten. Boris knows this, he knows that this will be spun to make him and conservatives look like a military junta in future elections. If it is at all possible to keep the army out of sight, including the reserves, he will not use them.

If this teaches us anything, it should be that we need to expand the police reserves (or whatever they are called) for it should be them mworking on public order, not the army.
Quite a step up there.

offog

LE
This again!!!

Will this thread be a weekly occurrence?

This again!!!

Will this thread be a weekly occurrence?
Weekly?

I anticipate it'll start at that, gradually speeding up to hourly, depending on how long we are in "(not really a) lockdown" and therefore how many fantacists come out of the woodwork.

And BTW, the Army Reserve is already contributing, just in small, out of sight little ways. As we have been asked, so we provide. It was ever thus.

Quite a step up there.
Only a few weeks ago people were still saying that it's normal flu, they wont put us in quarantine, They wont close the schools, they wont close the shops and now look. The trajectory that we are on now put's us within reach of civil unrest and / or political instability. There are other countries that are at greater risk than us but it's still a growing risk here.

I predicted this back then and was laughed at and told to take my tinfoil hat off. It's time to start looking ahead with a realistic assessment of potential and likely new risks that we could face.

Some of the more diverse areas in France have already seen a breakdown in law and order, the residents basically ignoring the government instructions and the police staying out of the area in order to avoid a riot being provoked.

Latest Threads