Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dwinnbrown

Swinger
Hi guys.

I'm 17 and seriously considering joining the army as a soldier after my a levels.

I'm currently looking at some roles in the Sigs as well as the RAC and RA but wanted to ask if anyone on here has any opinions on whether or not operational deployments would be likely in 2017/18?

Obviously Syria is a problem atm but seems like we can't afford/don't want to enter another war if we can avoid it.

I guess what I'm asking is: will a lack of an official conflict (that we're heavily involved in) limit opportunities for travel and operational tours?

If anyone could shed some light on this, that would be great.

Cheers

dwinnbrown

Swinger
Thanks for your reply. I have had a read and looked at some other threads but though a more up-to-date thready might have helped.

Thanks anyway

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
Think about what you're asking though mate - if there's no war to go and fight then I guess that will somewhat limit operational deployments....

dwinnbrown

Swinger
I guess you're right. Suppose I'll have to wait and see what happens with current affairs etc. over the next year or two. Is it possible that with the types of roles I'm looking at I could get deployed to an overseas or is that more likely with the 'office' jobs?

Think about what you're asking though mate - if there's no war to go and fight then I guess that will somewhat limit operational deployments....

I don't think it's unreasonable for a civilian with limited knowledge to wonder if we get stuck in on lesser conflicts. He also asked about travel generally, too, which unless things have changed, would refer to stuff like Canada, Belize, Poland etc etc. Not to mention AT as well.

I've been out too long to advise - though hopefully someone with current experience will be able to let the OP know about overseas exercises etc.

Hi guys.

I'm 17 and seriously considering joining the army as a soldier after my a levels.

I'm currently looking at some roles in the Sigs as well as the RAC and RA but wanted to ask if anyone on here has any opinions on whether or not operational deployments would be likely in 2017/18?

Obviously Syria is a problem atm but seems like we can't afford/don't want to enter another war if we can avoid it.

I guess what I'm asking is: will a lack of an official conflict (that we're heavily involved in) limit opportunities for travel and operational tours?

Cheers
When the wall came down in 89 there was talk of a peace dividend.

I don't think the 25 years of the peace dividend has seen the army so heavily deployed in its history.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
I don't think it's unreasonable for a civilian with limited knowledge to wonder if we get stuck in on lesser conflicts. He also asked about travel generally, too, which unless things have changed, would refer to stuff like Canada, Belize, Poland etc etc. Not to mention AT as well.

I've been out too long to advise - though hopefully someone with current experience will be able to let the OP know about overseas exercises etc.
I wasn't saying it was unreasonable to ask - I was saying think about what you're asking, which he seemed to get tbf.

dwinnbrown

Swinger
Thanks for the replies guys - appreciate it. I'm not one of those people basing whether or not to join the army by 'how much action I'll get' etc. but just trying to gauge whether it's worth me going in as an infantry/on-the-ground type role or whether I'm gonna be seeing my soldiering skills put to little use and would be better off going in and learning a trade.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
Thanks for the replies guys - appreciate it. I'm not one of those people basing whether or not to join the army by 'how much action I'll get' etc. but just trying to gauge whether it's worth me going in as an infantry/on-the-ground type role or whether I'm gonna be seeing my soldiering skills put to little use and would be better off going in and learning a trade.
That's always a conundrum- depend as you said on the climate politically when you join, whether you desire skills for when you come out etc etc...good luck with it!

dwinnbrown

Swinger
Thanks mate. Will re-assess the situation a bit closer the time for applying. Really liked the look of unmanned aircraft operator but as I'm guessing that as UAO's would only be required in a period of war, have started looking into the Sigs.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
I don't know for definite but normally trade training goes ahead anyway regardless. Can't have a conflict breaking out somewhere and no one trained up to do the job:wink: there's usually something going on somewhere.

You can add tours of Sierra Leone and Somalia to that, (Both of which Ive managed to chin off in the last 12 months). Africa is shaping up to be the British armies new playground.

ACAB

LE
I've been out donkeys tyears but what I say is still valid. If you join the Army then expect to fight. Look at the Falklands, Op CORPORATE, most of us thought they were up in the Shetlands but the fact remains that was a conflict that to the majority of us appeared, quite literally, overnight. Without coming across as some sozzled old soldier you should remember that the next day you wake up you could be at war and train accordingly.

Last edited:
Unmanned Aircraft Operator sounds like a job with a future inside and outside the army. Drones are a big thing now and have many applications, not just in warfare, but civil reconnaissance, survey, law enforcement, emergency aid etc;

No.4 Mk.1

On ROPS
On ROPs
Hi guys.

Cheers
Watch 40 seconds of this, from 55.00mins on and you may get an idea of what our future international role may be:

I believe the assertion is correct and all future Ops will be sneak beaky, which explains this:

Cameron puts drones and special forces top of UK defence shopping list
Cameron announces £2bn extra funding for Special Forces

That's my opinion - apparently other opinions are available too (but don't listen to them)

Last edited:

Latest Threads