Chances of AAC from Sandhurst?

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Bobbles_McGee, Jan 17, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am in the process of applying to join the Army and want to be a pilot. I have completed EFT but been rejected from the RAF because my aptitude scores were not competitive enough (although I did pass).

I was just wondering what the intake to the AAC is like compared to the number of candidates they sponsor through RCB, or in other words, what my chances are of actually getting into the AAC and what their decision would be based on?
  2. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

My understanding is that competition for AAC places at RMAS is extremely tight even though they take quite a large number. Assuming you can pass the minimum flying standards (aptitude & flying grading), the decision would be based on their opinion of you as an officer - so your RMAS report and interview with the Regt'l Colonel would be important. My top tip would be not to mention that the RAF turned you down!

Some other options:
    1. The RN, although I gather that the Admiralty Interview Board (AIB) is quite tough.
    2. Another Army Regiment or Corps and then apply for a flying tour/transfer after a few years.
    3. Join as a soldier and then apply to go flying. Beware as this is by far the hardest route IMHO.
  3. Bad CO is right, AIB isn't something you can just go and take, it needs preparation, but it CAN be done, if I have managed it twice (not aircrew however there were aircrew candidates whilst I was there)!

Remember with the CVF and JCA planned for sometime far in the future, training aircrew needs to be done NOW as its so long. The Fleet air arm will need more Naval aviators for this, and it is possible to fly as a Royal Marine officer (pilot/observer) or OR (aircrewman) after doing the commando thing I gather. You can gain a degree from your FAA training too.

How old are you though, some Dartmouth OCdts I talking to said that it is best to go at 18/19 if you can as by the time you have done your naval officer, flight and carrierborne training, you are looking at MANY years, and if you join at 22 or 23 or whatever then the RN gets considerably less frontline time out of you for their money, which isnt too good in their books.

But go and sound them out, it would be a helluva job!

PS: When I did FATs we were told that Naval candidates are given a slightly different series of tests to RAF ones for some reason (different services believing different tests are more important?) so maybe you would have to go to Cranwell again?
  4. Thanks for you replies, perhaps I should be more specific.

I have already completed Elementary Flying Training on a University Air Squadron, and did make the grade for Officer in the RAF, however, I was only appling for Pilot, and my aptitude score were not competitive enough (if they can afford to chop pilots from fast jet training and not offer them any other slots, they can certainly afford not to accept someone without a FJ suitability in the first place).

I have already sat the FATs for the Navy (the pilot tests are the same for the AAC, RAF and RN) and failed the Observer aptitude - passing this is a pre-requisite to attending AIB for pilot selection.

I am aware that even if the AAC were to sponsor me through RCB, I may well end up joining another regiment, I was just wondering about the chances of being selected for the AAC, and if there is anything I should concentrate on to better my chances.
  5. AAC=Officer first, pilot second and they are very choosy. They can afford to be.

From what you've said, you didn't make the grade for RAF officer. AAC officer selection is very competitive and the Corps needs to ensure they are investing in something of a sure fire bet, not just in the aviating front.

If you wish to be a pilot primarily, I would suggest the AAC is not the route to go. I'm not trying to put you off but your actual flying career in the Corps will be rather short. Three years on your first tour but that will no doubt be broken up with the usual Army Officer niff, naff, trivia and hoops. If you are lucky, you may squeeze a second tour in as a line pilot (rarer than a Sqn of servicable Lynx!). After that, you are at the whim of the Army wide Officer Corps, out in the cold for several years performing jobs such as SO3 Paper Clip Procurement or Chief View Foil changer for some batty full Colonel.

There's nothing cushy about life in the Womens Auxiliary Balloon Corps. :wink:

As another leveller, EFT on a UAS is a very different place to Army Aviation and is no 'clincher' on the AAC front. It may even be a hinderence. Sorry to sound so gloomy but I'm trying to be realistic for you.
  6. There is also something else to consider, should the AAC except you and you pass RMAS. Although having passed EFT will put you in good stead initially, rotary flying is something else altogether. Should you be unlucky enough to fail your Army Pilots Course, then the AAC has no further use for you. They do not have posts for non aircrew officers, apart from those commisioned from the ranks to become Quartermasters, Regimental Signals Officers etc.