Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Chancellor Schroder to visit Normandy this weekend.

Should he go?

• Yes, the Krauts lost blokes too, time to forgive

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No way. Too many Allied dead

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Seadog wrote

I agree with MrPVRd. Politicians should not attend, unless qualified as veterans-unlikely now-family or regiment etc.

Or if they are invited. (Seadog does 180 about.)

http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/ma...04.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/06/04/ixnewstop.html

D-Day veterans were outraged yesterday that Scotland's First Minister turned down an invitation to the ceremony honouring the soldiers who liberated Europe so he could go to a golf dinner.

New thread required.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7121#110333

Edited to add link to new thread

nice to see scotlands first minister getting his priorities in order , back to my previous post that none of these a-holes have even been in the girl guides , and to them the forces are just ... well expensive!!
sad to see though i'm sure you'll agree :(

PartTimePongo said:
Wasn't Viscount Stansgate the last WW2 veteran to serve on the benches in the Labour Party? (Far East Seafire Pilot)

Denis Healey, Jim Callaghan and Michael Foot all did war service of some kind or another. Coupla contemporary politicos have mil background - Julian Brazier,Patrick Mercer and Michael Mates - all Tories. Quite a few in the House of Lords,not least Duke of Westminster. The only Lib-Dem I am aware of with mil experience was Paddy Ashdown, former RM.

Wasn't aware Wedgie had ever served in uniform though ?

On the topic itself, when the Millennium rolled around I figured that the Second World War was as long ago for a kid today as the Boer War was when I was growing up.....we must never forget EITHER World War, but do we want to make it the defining historical background for how we view/stereotype other countries in the 21st Century?
Eg dastardly-but -efficient Boche,
cheese-eating surrender monkey French,
no-bottle Eyeties,
gallant Yankee allies ?

Nah, doesn't make sense.....

(BTW, PTP why have you abandoned the most excellent Manga avatar for this gosh-awful Capt Scarlet gizmo? Tired of the brutal and licentious responding as if you were Forces Sweetheart ?)

Le Chevre

<< Vichy? Non, j'en ai jamais visité.....>>
--