Champix and running

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Bushmills, Nov 20, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Have done 9 days on Champix and two days off the smokes without killing anyone.

However, noticed my running times and swimming endurance turn to shite as soon as I started on the Champix.

Anybody had a similar experience and when does quitting smoking translate into better athletic performance?

I'm a middle aged silly old fart by the way, but pretty fit despite the smokes.
  2. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

No idea, but as it is the NAAFI, Sweaty piss flaps.
  3. You are correct.

Fuck crap cunt etc etc

4. Jim Fixx

Well, I've always thought it was funny.
  5. Last time I gave up the durries I stayed of them for about 2 years. My fitness did improve quite a bit. However this was offset by my putting on about 25kg.
  6. If I was you I would sit and have a smoke and think about it, I used them and have been off the fags for over 3 years never even thought about going back. Don't let your mind fuck with you it will give you any excuse to get back on them. Now NAAFI answer your swim and run times are shite because your a knacker one of the side effects of Champex is suicidal tendencies so if your run times don't come down you could always top yourself.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I've never suffered with depression, not really (alcoholic depression yes), but when I took Champix I ended up glued to the sofa for two days, not willing to answer the phone or speak to anyone. Wor Lass says, "I think you better stop taking the tablets". Shame really, 'cos I really didn't feel the need to smoke; it was working.

In the end I just had to stop smoking.

Oh the depression thing stopped a day or so after the stopping taking the tablets; but I've heard people have killed themselves while taking Champix, so watch oot.
  8. Oh, and I'm not a knacker btw. I run about 40 - 50 miles a week and have another marathon in January.
  9. I've never smoked.....and I run like the windddd!!
  10. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

I tried Champix once, couldn't get the fucker to light.
  11. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Yeah, I tried Champix last year and had similar results. Although I did not sit on the sofa for days because I am not a fucking puff. But when I woke up in the morning I had 10 minutes of "Whats the point oh woe is me" until I gave myself a slap and cracked on.

One of my mates got proper suicidal on Champix and had to stop. They work, but watch your back.
  12. Keep a copy of the quickest route to your local A&E handy at all times and take your mobile with you when running because if you read the stats you are very likely to have a (hopefully minor) heart attack reasonably soon after stopping the smokes.

This isn't a joke BTW. Only anecdotal accounts (including myself) but there does seem to be a link between stopping smoking, exerciseing and heart attack in 40/50 year old males.

Good luck :)
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I've never smoked.....and I run like the windddd!!
  14. What a dick you'll never get them to burn, a bit of tape stuck to the top of your arm worked for me.