Champagne Recommendations

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by Davros_the_Dalek, Apr 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok so it has bog all to do with the Corps but so what... :lol:

As per topic really. Me and the missus have started getting into some nice champagnes and now that I'm getting into the sort of £100 mark a bottle, I'd rather buy on recommendation instead of just spunking the best part of a ton or more on a bottle of fizzy piss. :x

Valentine's day was a 1999 Bollinger which I think wil be hard to beat but we've got a 2000 DP and a Krug NV in the fridge too now although have tried neither yet.. My thoughts for the next on the list would be either a Belle Epoque Perrier Jouet, a 1996 RD Bolly or maybe if I can scrounge the pennies from her clothes fund, a Cristal of some (read : cheapest) variety, just for the pimp and bling factor. 8)

What are your thoughts on nice champagnes?

Oh, and no, I havn't sold the naafi opening times to the mexicans to fund my new tastes.. 8O It's my millionaires weekend treat!

2. Lanson non-vintage black lable, cheap as chips and tastes great, can't go wrong

3. Champagne not my thing but quite a few people including my folks recommend some of the champagne tours advertised in the Telegraph etc. Very informative apparently and you become a bit of an expert yourself.

4. Lanson is IMO bloody awful.

Veuve is great for the money.

5. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Davros,

Depending on where you are, there is a better way to enjoy champagne. For the cost of a ferry ticket, and 2 hours drive from Calais, you are in Reims. The Best Western hotel in town is perfectly ok for around 70 per night. You and Mrs D then go champagne tasteing around any number of fine houses for an average of E10 - E15 per tour.

Top weekend away for the cost of a few bottles of bling champagne, great education on Champagne and you get to try loads of them for not a lot of cash.

You know it makes sense!

6. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

Piper Heidseck. £25 a bottle, and the house champagne at more than a few four star hotels. regularly makes the top ten champagne list.
    failing that, veuve for a few quid more as PA says.

Cristal, for the money, is pish. and if anyone even *thinks* of saying the M and C words, I'll personally come round to your house and kill you and your family. ;)

7. I've always wanted to wile the afternoon away in a champers bar sampling their wares by the glass... I think that would be a good way to get to know what you want to spend the big bucks on.

I have a bottle of 95 DP originally bought for 85 quid by the ex, but looking around is now selling for a lot more. Am thinking of auctioning it off for Combat Stress if there are any bids as I don't want to touch it.

8. I'll give you £100 for it :D

9. Absolutely. Although I'll chip in a tenner of that as I realise the original box is missing.

pm me if serious and I'll pop it in the post (well wrapped of course). :p

10. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Moet Chandon... na na nana na. :twisted:

11. For all that money you are wasting on Bubbly, you could have saved enough for a decent his and hers watch.

12. Pol Roger - if it was good enough for Churchill ...........

13. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

*shakes head sadly*

you'd be better off mixing a bottle of lemonade and a bottle of Sarsons ffs.

14. Definitely, my choice too :D

15. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

My Doris actually likes the stuff - but then she is a peasant from Argentina and likes Budwieser light as well. :oops: