Chally 2 is Beatable

Discussion in 'RAC' started by vandyke, Apr 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

They've destroyed Abrams before. It is only a matter of getting enough explosive under the road and waiting for a tank to rumble over the top of it.

There's nothing sophisticated about it.

msr

2. from what i have read it was a shaped charge, quite a sophisticated IED.
    going back to our discussion on "best MBT" we decided CR2 was best because the armour was yet to be penetrated

3. msr

msr LE

Some IEDs (bombs) buried in roads here are so large they would completely destroy the Bulldog tracked vehicle in which we were riding. Just last week a formidable Challenger tank was destroyed by an explosion that also cost the driver his legs. Days before, four British soldiers and their Iraqi interpreter had been killed at the same place when a similar bomb detonated.

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/wp/british-forces-at-war-as-witnessed-by-an-american.htm

Either way, speedy recovery to the crew.

4. Not really seeing were they are getting supplied from.

5. please state the source that specifies the IED was a shaped charge.

6. Will try and find link again, might even have been one of todays papers. but it said it was the same charge that went of with the CVR(t) last week.

Edit to Add:
    Link from the scum, not the most reliable i admit,
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007180727,00.html

7. I've taken this out because I feel this topic should not be discussed at the mo

8. Already discussed on ARRSE - albeit tangentally - over a week ago!

9. hmmmm, not the most reliable ??? here are some other headlines brought to you by this journo.

Boozy bus girl in terror drive
    Bird-brained twitchers slammed
    Lad's 100s of romps with Miss
    The NHS robbed me blind
    Perv will be glow in the park
    Cop 'to quit over layby sex act'
    Gangster Ron is dunrobbin
    Lesbi 'avin you, landlady told
    3-in-car romp 'killed blonde'

10. Firstly, good luck and speedy recovery to the crew.

I've seen first hand the effects of a 75Kg shaped charge placed against 700mm of armoured steel, result a hole the size of a basket ball right through and all of the vapourised steel went in with the blast, not nice. Given enough heat, all metal melts, hence why the space shuttle is coated in ceramic tiles. No vehicle will be totally safe from all types of attack.

11. Is this really a sensible discussion point, or does it actually lend assistance, advice and information to some really nasty twats!

12. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Shaped charges are perhaps one of the most effective explosive formats for defeating almost all known armour. The shaping of the charge, or the moulding of the plate when the charge is fired causes the resulting projectile out at massive velocities that will punch through almost anything.

It's not just the tremendous velocities that are engendered as the plate is formed into a projectile, there is also a good deal of heat.

The metal armour effectively liquidises when the projectile hits through a process that is still not fully understood. You start getting into complex maths regarding fluid dynamics at such velocities. The ceramic armour within is also smashed and may still punch through to the interior whilst fragmenting.

Various designs have been tried to defeat this threat, including various layered formats of armour.

As effective as these shaped charges are, the design is very primitive and quite easily produced. It doesn't take a rocket scientist in Iran to make them.

Suffice to say, the west has studied these devices in some depth for war fighting, and we actually produce far more effective versions that take into account both reactive, metal and ceramic armour.

I have an idea where the EFIED was placed to do the damage it did, but for obvious OPSEC reasons, there's no point in discussing it here. You all know where the strongest and weakest armour points are.

Sorry to sound like a know-it-all, but the subject of EFP's is fascinating if you are inclined towards standing on railway platforms with a notebook and pencil.

Edited to add: My very best wishes to the injured.

13. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

My thoughts exactly - but as it's now in the public domain and the debate stays sensible I'm sure the really nasty man will not gane any info. My thoughts are now with the driver and wish him well for the future, as I'm sure you all do.