chally 1 & Chieftain equip Regiments BAOR 1984/5

Proff3RTR

War Hero
I heard it was the fault of that Major who came from the Third who caused a lot of the problems….D Sqn I believe! ;)
Makes a lot of models now days!!! :slow:
Ah, you are on about DT, worked with him at DESO in Bovy for a while. Not sure what happened back in Fally then, was not overly privvy to the goings on, and if it was DT he was a WO on amalgamation IIRC, was the Trg wng WO 93/94

Compared to Chieftain it was luxury.
I thought it was a great bit of kit.
It certainly was. I was taught to drive Chieftan with the turret in consideration “if the commander spills his brew, watch out” and those carried forward to CR1, a much more advanced beast.
We Chieftain drivers always thought we had more finesse than those trained on CR1.
Thread: I digress

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
what squadron were you with @ARTE
Crikey...

I think it was A Sqn. 84-86. But with a 6 month tour of Belize thrown in. (Nothing to do with RH.) I was a full screw Recy Mech. I was single, lived in. Always in trouble, rode motorcycles and dated a Danish lass (who lived in Denmark, so I rode up there most weekends.) I had to do an Armd Regt LAD before I could be considered for promotion, but I hated Fally and that regiment. Petty and vindictive. They stifled my flair.

Promoted on posting to the Lifeguards at Windsor.

Slightly off piste, but I remember Warrior coming in too, The Staffordshire Regiment were the first to get it in late ‘88, The Royal Scots got it next in early ‘89 and then 1st Bn Fusiliers soon after.
I was with The Royal Scots and as a REME LCpl I attended Bordon on an automotive course which was revolutionary because a lot of the teaching was done on computer, cutting edge stuff for the time.
I also remember attending the in house D&M course in Jan/Feb ‘89 as my wife was pregnant. I told my wife not to give birth until after my course because I needed it to drive the 513 on Solteau. My daughter was born on 8th Feb, 2 days after the course ended, a week overdue! I also managed to wreck a good few curb stones in Recklinghausen as my commander (The ASM) instructed me to turn right instead of left and we ended up going through the town centre which has narrowing chicanes for tragic calming, the Warrior was wider than the road! We also had to ensure the rear door was always closed after getting in/out to prevent the Soviets getting a glimpse of the armour.

Slightly off piste, but I remember Warrior coming in too, The Staffordshire Regiment were the first to get it in late ‘88, The Royal Scots got it next in early ‘89 and then 1st Bn Fusiliers soon after.
I was with The Royal Scots and as a REME LCpl I attended Bordon on an automotive course which was revolutionary because a lot of the teaching was done on computer, cutting edge stuff for the time.
I also remember attending the in house D&M course in Jan/Feb ‘89 as my wife was pregnant. I told my wife not to give birth until after my course because I needed it to drive the 513 on Solteau. My daughter was born on 8th Feb, 2 days after the course ended, a week overdue! I also managed to wreck a good few curb stones in Recklinghausen as my commander (The ASM) instructed me to turn right instead of left and we ended up going through the town centre which has narrowing chicanes for tragic calming, the Warrior was wider than the road! We also had to ensure the rear door was always closed after getting in/out to prevent the Soviets getting a glimpse of the armour.
Think you will find that 1 Gren Gds were the first Bn to get Warrior as part of 4 Armd Bde.

Bardeyai

Old-Salt
Think you will find that 1 Gren Gds were the first Bn to get Warrior as part of 4 Armd Bde.
That was my memory and it was 86-87(?) Dunno but - and I keep saying this - anyone who says Challenger was just the same as chieftain has never changed the pack on either “on a cold winters night” in Germany.

It certainly was. I was taught to drive Chieftan with the turret in consideration “if the commander spills his brew, watch out” and those carried forward to CR1, a much more advanced beast.
We Chieftain drivers always thought we had more finesse than those trained on CR1.
Thread: I digress
Pretty much bang on with that comment Rangdo.
I like the use of the word finesse.
Initially it wasn't a word that I would associate with the swivel eyed loons in Dsqn, where I spent four insane years, but I suppose , looking back, there was a certain elegance to the way we hit various parts of the hull with hammers and track pins.

That was my memory and it was 86-87(?) Dunno but - and I keep saying this - anyone who says Challenger was just the same as chieftain has never changed the pack on either “on a cold winters night” in Germany.
Absolutely, you ain’t a crewman till you’ve been underneath a Chieftain trying to undo the twiflex coupling at night in the rain.

Very different vehicle below the turret ring Challenger 1 in comparison with Chieftain

Initially it wasn't a word that I would associate with the swivel eyed loons in Dsqn, where I spent four insane years, but I suppose , looking back, there was a certain elegance to the way we hit various parts of the hull with hammers and track pins.
Unless 1RTR……bloody animals :slow: :slow:

Absolutely, you ain’t a crewman till you’ve been underneath a Chieftain trying to undo the twiflex coupling at night in the rain.

Very different vehicle below the turret ring Challenger 1 in comparison with Chieftain
or worse... lippy young driver with RSDG at Berlin , gobbing off about how useless the REEMs were etc , "off you go , get under get the belly plate off and get the twiflex bolts off, your f ucking job!"

we then , just as the bolts were undon e all stood in the air filter spaced and lagged on him

"wheres all this coolant coming from ?
"Doesn't look like a coolant leak from up here , if it's coolant it will taste sweet"
"No, tastes like oily water!" ..... Full screw sitting on the turret on radio watch just shaking his head ...."He'll learn!"

Proff3RTR

War Hero
or worse... lippy young driver with RSDG at Berlin , gobbing off about how useless the REEMs were etc , "off you go , get under get the belly plate off and get the twiflex bolts off, your f ucking job!"

we then , just as the bolts were undon e all stood in the air filter spaced and lagged on him

"Doesn't look like a coolant leak from up here , if it's coolant it will taste sweet"
"No, tastes like oily water!" ..... Full screw sitting on the turret on radio watch just shaking his head ...."He'll learn!"
Classic, simply classic.

FEASG

LE
I think the Grenadier Guards were first to get Warrior in 1987. as to the original thread We (2 Queen's) had two coys working with 5 INNIS DG they still had Chieftain in 87. Our C coy were with a BG with CH1 but I cant remember which Armoured Regiment it was .

I think the Grenadier Guards were first to get Warrior in 1987. as to the original thread We (2 Queen's) had two coys working with 5 INNIS DG they still had Chieftain in 87. Our C coy were with a BG with CH1 but I cant remember which Armoured Regiment it was .
Hmm, I’m not sure now, I always thought it was the Stafford’s first, 7th Armoured, they obviously then went on Granby 1, Then the Royal Scots, who deployed on Granby 1.5, both Regt’s had Warrior in 1990, that was the way I remember anyway and I don’t remember the Gren’s getting Warrior before the Fusiliers, did they take over from The Stafford’s in 1990/91?
The Devon & Dorset’s took over Warrior from The Royal Scots in late 1990!

Proff3RTR

War Hero
Hmm, I’m not sure now, I always thought it was the Stafford’s first, 7th Armoured, they obviously then went on Granby 1, Then the Royal Scots, who deployed on Granby 1.5, both Regt’s had Warrior in 1990, that was the way I remember anyway and I don’t remember the Gren’s getting Warrior before the Fusiliers, did they take over from The Stafford’s in 1990/91?
I know 3 RRF had Warrior in Hemer in 88, not fully sure when in 88 they got them or indeed maybe late 87.

Cr1 was different to Chieftain below the turret ring, but it wasn’t a big improvement on Chieftain, the engine was better though, anything was better than that ******* multi-fuel Leyland piece of shite!

Once all the hairy knuckle-draggers had been sent to work in the Officer’s Mess, and the noodle-armed slackers of A Sqn stood around arguing whose turn it was to make the tea, it could always be relied on that the handsome, rugged and fearless chaps of D Sqn could get behind the issue of a track change with their usual flair and elan.
C Sqn would be found licking the windows of the MT bus and wondering at the round things that go round.

When we became QRH, D&D were on our MedMan BG. That would be 1994. They were a top bunch of lads, and as I was driving 14B, got to see them close up. To my unskilled eye, they looked like they had some experience with Warrior.
Nowt to do with thread, apologies for drift.

Once all the hairy knuckle-draggers had been sent to work in the Officer’s Mess, and the noodle-armed slackers of A Sqn stood around arguing whose turn it was to make the tea, it could always be relied on that the handsome, rugged and fearless chaps of D Sqn could get behind the issue of a track change with their usual flair and elan.
C Sqn would be found licking the windows of the MT bus and wondering at the round things that go round.
That literally made me laugh out loud.
We used to call A Sqn the Bash Street Kids, after those gorms in the Beano.
C Sqn supplied more troops to the stables than the rest of the RAC/H-CAV put together, and B Sqn became a true Sabre Squadron once myself and @Fat_Cav agreed to help them excel as a Challenger Squadron.
D Sqn remained on its plinth, floating on a river of Herfy, blood and OMD 80 towards God knows where, and God only cared.

Latest Threads