Challenging a posting

Hi - I'm not "living the dream" but a "friend of mine" is and has just received a posting they're not happy about.

I know it probably happens quite a lot (any links to previous posts on the site would be useful), but they are settled where they are and the partner has a good job locally (so no real chance of them moving).

The posting won't necessarily involve a move from their current quarter, but it will increase the travelling quite considerably.

My friend hasn't been "in the job" very long and wanted to gather some information prior to going to see the powers that be....any ideas of any approaches which might be available to them..?

Thanks a lot and any - realtively sensible comments - (why do I bother...?) would be much appriciated...cheers.

Speak to RCMO to see if anything can be done, but unlikely as your friend should have got an extension request in before the posting was sorted.

Otherwise they will just have to lump it. They are a soldier and will go where they are told.

A posting order is just that - an order, not a start point for a discussion. If there were any special circumstances that would have had an effect on the selection of 'your friend' for any particular posts, then 'your friend' should have made them known well before the posting due date.

'Your friend' could always make a submission through the chain of command, but I reckon that 'your friend' doesn't have a hope. Imagine if every individual whoever had a posting they didn't like did the same as 'your friend'. Nobody would ever get posted to Bulford or Tidworth.

i received a posting order with short notice - spoke to RCMO was told to write a letter and it would be passed up. He placed a call while i was in the office and posting was placed on hold while i did letter. My letter was accepted and posting changed, but my circumstances had changed since my PPP was sent in. I did accept the new posting with only 3 weeks notice, wasnt what i was after but was a lot better than what i was ordered to in the first place.

if you have real reason to question a posting if you dont try to change it then its your fault. you may get told where to go but then again you never know until you ask.

"Your Friend" has got to realise that getting "settled" in any one area for too long is not on the Army's agenda, nor should it be on "his" unless he is getting out!! I'm sure your, oops I mean "his" RCMO will put it right on top of his priorities!!!!!

Ubique

Gunner_REMF said:
"Your Friend" has got to realise that getting "settled" in any one area for too long is not on the Army's agenda, nor should it be on "his" unless he is getting out!! I'm sure your, oops I mean "his" RCMO will put it right on top of his priorities!!!!!

Ubique
But the length of assignments is on the agenda, with a proposal to extend current 36 month average placement to 5 years to assist in harmonisation. If travelling furhter distances is a problem - you get paid for it (GYH or RESPOD).

If all else fails, and you are posted and have to move quarter, cant your missus drive to work?

I got out because I was unhappy about the posting I got, 5 days notice to move from Germany to a training depot as an instructor. Up until that point I was more than happy being in the Army. When I got to the said posting, I mentioned the fact that I was not happy about being there and said that I would sign off if I wast given a more suitable posting, the reaction was "Ok sign off then!" Signed off, and here I am 16 months later more than happy in Civ Div with a bit of stability in my life. The point I am trying to raise though is why does the army quite happilly see its men unhappy in a posting they dont want? Surely it would be a big aid to retention if blokes were posted to a suitable posting rather than somewhere that is going to destroy their morale?

Mag_to_grid said:
I got out because I was unhappy about the posting I got, 5 days notice to move from Germany to a training depot as an instructor. Up until that point I was more than happy being in the Army. When I got to the said posting, I mentioned the fact that I was not happy about being there and said that I would sign off if I wast given a more suitable posting, the reaction was "Ok sign off then!" Signed off, and here I am 16 months later more than happy in Civ Div with a bit of stability in my life. The point I am trying to raise though is why does the army quite happilly see its men unhappy in a posting they dont want? Surely it would be a big aid to retention if blokes were posted to a suitable posting rather than somewhere that is going to destroy their morale?
FFS! - Do you live in a world of fluffy bunnies and eternal sunshine? If you can't answer your own last question then you are probably better off in Civ Div...

A variety of views, as I expected, from the "FFS - live with it!" ones to the "try it on" ones - thanks for the advice so far and "my friend" (honest - Gunner_REMF) is seeing one of the big cheeses today, armed with these views.

While I realise that the "Crown" cannot really enter into legally-binding contracts, "my friend" was posted to their current location in autumn '06 with a posting order stating it would be for 36 months (and, with their partner, based their short-term/foreseeable future around that intel)...does that not count for anything or is it - as I suspect - "not worth the paper" etc?

This post is not supposed to be a whine (because they know at the end of the day, they'll have to go) but I was just interested in the possible challenges...they haven't been in long (and are towards the very top end of the entrance age-limit), so have/had an established life before joining up...

Try other avenues, for example: 1. Take posting and retain quarter (if married and quarter available) travel back at weekends and see what claims you can receive. 2. See if you can swap with a willing person in your unit who wants a posting. Don’t just assume because you have a posting order you have to except it.

Try other avenues, for example: 1. Take posting and retain quarter (if married and quarter available) travel back at weekends and see what claims you can receive. 2. See if you can swap with a willing person in your unit who wants a posting. Don’t just assume because you have a posting order you have to except it.

Gonzo said:
Mag_to_grid said:
FFS! - Do you live in a world of fluffy bunnies and eternal sunshine? If you can't answer your own last question then you are probably better off in Civ Div...
No i dont live in a world of fluffy bunnies and eternal sunshine, does it not show how out of touch the army is though if it is going to let blokes get out (and I know of several others who were in a similar situation and got out too) if they dont show some of appreciation to someones capabilities and experiences. In my case, i was sent to a training depot as an instructor with no prior experience of instructional techniques and being far from profiecient in the area I was supposed to be instructing in. All i wanted was to be in an operational unit and deploy on tour, I am sure somewhere there was a Pad who who would have quite happily swapped postings in order to get a bit of stability and be uk based. In regards to the last part of your post, I actually am better off in Civ div as it happens which was a pleasant surprised considering it was a bit of a gamble to get out at the time.

Gonzo said:
Mag_to_grid said:

[quote="Mag_to_grid]No i dont live in a world of fluffy bunnies and eternal sunshine, does it not show how out of touch the army is though if it is going to let blokes get out (and I know of several others who were in a similar situation and got out too) if they dont show some of appreciation to someones capabilities and experiences. In my case, i was sent to a training depot as an instructor with no prior experience of instructional techniques and being far from profiecient in the area I was supposed to be instructing in. All i wanted was to be in an operational unit and deploy on tour, I am sure somewhere there was a Pad who who would have quite happily swapped postings in order to get a bit of stability and be uk based. In regards to the last part of your post, I actually am better off in Civ div as it happens which was a pleasant surprised considering it was a bit of a gamble to get out at the time.[/quote]

So you think the MOD should react to every threat by every soldier to sign off by giving them exactly what they want? Do you buy your kids as many sweets as they can stuff down their gullet just because they'll have a tantrum if you don't??? No - of course you don't. (And in case you are confused now - you are the child, the MOD is the parent and rosy cushy enjoyable posting is the sweets).

The fact of the matter is that there are posts which are less desirable than others but all have to be filled - such is life in the military! Any senior bod worth his salt is certainly going to reply to any threat to sign off with the words "ok then - sign off". You can't, effectively, hold the MOD to ransom just to get what you want.

But of course you can always consider the possibility that their opinion of how good you were was not the same as your opinion and that, after considering your threat, they decided they were prepared to lose you if you went ahead with it? Just a thought!

Just to make another point though - if you really do not want a posting you have been given, you may find that if you act professionally (instead of making threats to sign off etc) and go through the correct channels, the people at MCM Div are quite co-operative. They may even give you a small window of time to find someone who is willing to go to said posting instead. Although if someone had put a posting preference up the chain of command listing that post as one of their preferred choices then I dare say they would have been given the slot and not you. But at the end of the day - the army's needs come first, yours are a distant second which is one of the reasons we get the 13.5%!!!

Alpha-Mech said:
Just to make another point though - if you really do not want a posting you have been given, you may find that if you act professionally (instead of making threats to sign off etc) and go through the correct channels, the people at MCM Div are quite co-operative. They may even give you a small window of time to find someone who is willing to go to said posting instead. Although if someone had put a posting preference up the chain of command listing that post as one of their preferred choices then I dare say they would have been given the slot and not you. But at the end of the day - the army's needs come first, yours are a distant second which is one of the reasons we get the 13.5%!!!
That was exactly why I did threaten and then sign off, my RSM told me that he had called MCM div and they had refused to change my posting. My point is that I joined the army to soldier, I wanted to be in an operationally deployable unit. Not wet nursing recruits in a training depot (which is an another story). I resent the fact that you say I stamped my feet and had a tantrum, I loved the army good times and bad, but I knew I wasnt cut out to be a depot instructor and then when I raised my concerns and i was told get on with it. Enough was enough, signed off now im a civi, just joined the TA and hopefully I will be able to go on tour and do the job that I enjoy most well before I would have been able to had I stayed regular in a three year posting as a depot instructor.

Ok - let's take the situation you were in and think about it shall we. You were given 5 days notice to move into an instructional post in a different theatre. So, thinking logically, I would suggest this was because said training depot were short of an instructor and one was needed urgently in order that the imminent incoming of new recruits had someone to train them. You obviously fitted the bill so you were the lucky individual who had to deal with the lastminute.com move.

You then requested to be moved from said instructors post but were told no so you signed off.

Put yourself in a position of leadership and/or management - you are in charge of ensuring that 20(ish) recruits are trained up to a required standard but the instructor has asked if he can be posted away because he doesn't want to be there. This means a massive lack of continuity beneath you and will almost certainly reduce the effectiveness of the training and therefore you may end up struggling to ensure said recruits reach the required standard. What is your immediate answer to the instructor????? Of course it is "NO".

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few and the needs of those recruits far outweighed your wanting to go on tour instead of "babysitting" them. If you cannot see that then you had probably reached your ceiling within the army anyhow.

On another note though, instead of signing off why didn't you do your job professionally while still pestering the chain of command to meet your requests? I'm sure they would have done far earlier than the 3 year run out date of your posting. It just seems obvious to me you were put there in an emergency (unless 5 days notice is the norm for your ex corps?) so it would've been quite easy to sort out a replacement for you in slow time had you not thrown your teddy in the corner and signed off.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Gunner_REMF said:

Ubique
G-REMF - getting settled is not only on the agenda but was used as one of the major factors for FAS, the virtual destruction of the Regimental system for the infantry and doing away with the arms plot.