Challenging a posting

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Spreadsheet_Bob, Mar 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi - I'm not "living the dream" but a "friend of mine" is and has just received a posting they're not happy about.

I know it probably happens quite a lot (any links to previous posts on the site would be useful), but they are settled where they are and the partner has a good job locally (so no real chance of them moving).

The posting won't necessarily involve a move from their current quarter, but it will increase the travelling quite considerably.

My friend hasn't been "in the job" very long and wanted to gather some information prior to going to see the powers that be....any ideas of any approaches which might be available to them..?

Thanks a lot and any - realtively sensible comments - (why do I bother...?) would be much appriciated...cheers.

2. Your in the Army. Welcome to the real world.

3. Speak to RCMO to see if anything can be done, but unlikely as your friend should have got an extension request in before the posting was sorted.

Otherwise they will just have to lump it. They are a soldier and will go where they are told.

4. A posting order is just that - an order, not a start point for a discussion. If there were any special circumstances that would have had an effect on the selection of 'your friend' for any particular posts, then 'your friend' should have made them known well before the posting due date.

'Your friend' could always make a submission through the chain of command, but I reckon that 'your friend' doesn't have a hope. Imagine if every individual whoever had a posting they didn't like did the same as 'your friend'. Nobody would ever get posted to Bulford or Tidworth.

5. i received a posting order with short notice - spoke to RCMO was told to write a letter and it would be passed up. He placed a call while i was in the office and posting was placed on hold while i did letter. My letter was accepted and posting changed, but my circumstances had changed since my PPP was sent in. I did accept the new posting with only 3 weeks notice, wasnt what i was after but was a lot better than what i was ordered to in the first place.

if you have real reason to question a posting if you dont try to change it then its your fault. you may get told where to go but then again you never know until you ask.

6. "Your Friend" has got to realise that getting "settled" in any one area for too long is not on the Army's agenda, nor should it be on "his" unless he is getting out!! I'm sure your, oops I mean "his" RCMO will put it right on top of his priorities!!!!!

Ubique

7. But the length of assignments is on the agenda, with a proposal to extend current 36 month average placement to 5 years to assist in harmonisation. If travelling furhter distances is a problem - you get paid for it (GYH or RESPOD).

8. If all else fails, and you are posted and have to move quarter, cant your missus drive to work?

9. I got out because I was unhappy about the posting I got, 5 days notice to move from Germany to a training depot as an instructor. Up until that point I was more than happy being in the Army. When I got to the said posting, I mentioned the fact that I was not happy about being there and said that I would sign off if I wast given a more suitable posting, the reaction was "Ok sign off then!" Signed off, and here I am 16 months later more than happy in Civ Div with a bit of stability in my life. The point I am trying to raise though is why does the army quite happilly see its men unhappy in a posting they dont want? Surely it would be a big aid to retention if blokes were posted to a suitable posting rather than somewhere that is going to destroy their morale?

10. FFS! - Do you live in a world of fluffy bunnies and eternal sunshine? If you can't answer your own last question then you are probably better off in Civ Div...

11. A variety of views, as I expected, from the "FFS - live with it!" ones to the "try it on" ones - thanks for the advice so far and "my friend" (honest - Gunner_REMF) is seeing one of the big cheeses today, armed with these views.

While I realise that the "Crown" cannot really enter into legally-binding contracts, "my friend" was posted to their current location in autumn '06 with a posting order stating it would be for 36 months (and, with their partner, based their short-term/foreseeable future around that intel)...does that not count for anything or is it - as I suspect - "not worth the paper" etc?

This post is not supposed to be a whine (because they know at the end of the day, they'll have to go) but I was just interested in the possible challenges...they haven't been in long (and are towards the very top end of the entrance age-limit), so have/had an established life before joining up...

12. Try other avenues, for example: 1. Take posting and retain quarter (if married and quarter available) travel back at weekends and see what claims you can receive. 2. See if you can swap with a willing person in your unit who wants a posting. Don’t just assume because you have a posting order you have to except it.

13. Try other avenues, for example: 1. Take posting and retain quarter (if married and quarter available) travel back at weekends and see what claims you can receive. 2. See if you can swap with a willing person in your unit who wants a posting. Don’t just assume because you have a posting order you have to except it.

14. No i dont live in a world of fluffy bunnies and eternal sunshine, does it not show how out of touch the army is though if it is going to let blokes get out (and I know of several others who were in a similar situation and got out too) if they dont show some of appreciation to someones capabilities and experiences. In my case, i was sent to a training depot as an instructor with no prior experience of instructional techniques and being far from profiecient in the area I was supposed to be instructing in. All i wanted was to be in an operational unit and deploy on tour, I am sure somewhere there was a Pad who who would have quite happily swapped postings in order to get a bit of stability and be uk based. In regards to the last part of your post, I actually am better off in Civ div as it happens which was a pleasant surprised considering it was a bit of a gamble to get out at the time.