Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Challenger or Challenger 1?

The same one as you. I was on the Op Banner thread, would you believe, reading your account of the jolly to NHSM. I'd left the regiment by then, but I knew that it was QOH.
Nice one @ste14w. You will come across other like-minded tools on here. And lots of ******* like me.

ste14w

War Hero
Nice one @ste14w. You will come across other like-minded tools on here. And lots of ******* like me.
If you drove Chieftain, then we were in at the same time. We may well have got drunk together, so whatever that swear word that you described yourself with was, I'm sure you're not. Unless i find out that you owe me money, then you're deffo a ****** ;)

We indeed threw our toys out, it was a silly name Cavalier. Think frills and Ruffs, it was all too poofery.
TBH, the first thing that popped into my mind was a Vauxhall Cavalier.
1600385832401.png
mk2

1600385865341.png
mk3

And we stuck to names beginning with ‘C’.
Back in the early 80s, when the MoD had a future MBT project going with the French, there was once a meeting held at GIAT, in Paris, where a possible name for the vehicle was discussed.
The UK rep pointed out that our tanks had a long (-ish) tradition of having names starting with a ‘C’, so he felt ‘Crecy’ would be suitable!
‘Ballon en plomb’ time on the French side of the table.
The suggestion was not taken up.
(I heard this from the French project manager, by the way.)

Excellent, I've been telling a version of that story for some time, but I could never remember where I heard it. Glad to see a confirming source at last!

It was Challenger. And to be honest we didn't care what it was called, we were just glad to get away from Chieftain ;)

But when we did get the first few wagons, they were VOR due to some idler having cracks in or something. I recall not even driving further then out he hanger for about two months. Was I dreaming that?

My first CR1 wagon was 64 KG 80. I wonder if this was the first round of QOH wagons?

1600408157875.png

ste14w

War Hero
But when we did get the first few wagons, they were VOR due to some idler having cracks in or something. I recall not even driving further then out he hanger for about two months. Was I dreaming that?
No you were'nt dreaming. I remember Col F walking into the hangar while we were changing one. He didn't look very happy. Tech tried to blame it on the driver training round Soltau, said we'd been too aggressive :rolleyes:

ste14w

War Hero
That's an A sqn wagon,

Ha, how can you remember that far back? I don't suppose you can remember mine? I can just about remember that I was in B sqn, let alone anything else.

No chance. I even recall my first Chieftain - 01 EB 64. It's a guardian somewhere but I think it's been renumbered

ste14w

War Hero
No chance. I even recall my first Chieftain - 01 EB 64. It's a guardian somewhere but I think it's been renumbered
Amazing. I remember my first Chieftains last two were 86, that was D sqn. Then for some reason 1st and 3rd troops swapped wagons, and I ended up with 93, which I remember was called Dagmar.

Latest Threads