Challenger 2 deploys to Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Afghanistan' started by cplofindustry, Sep 5, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Heard a rumour that Challenger 2 is going to Afghanistan on Herrick 14. Anyone able to confirm or deny?
  2. What paper do you work for, and how much are you willing to pay?^_~
  3. Hello Mr Journo! =-D
  4. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

The rumours that the entire fleet are going to be painted pink are also true!
  5. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Well thats the OpSEC out the window then!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

1. What role would it undertake? (Most roads, brisges, etc could not take a C2, and its vulnerability to IEDs is similar to any other flat-bottomed vehicle)
    2. What message would this send to the Afghans (the whole point of our being there, after all. Mind you, the message to them if we lost one would be pretty clear)
    3. How would it get there? (C-17s are at a premium)
    4. Maint?
    5. After the near-fiasco that was deployment of CRARRV, I'd have hoped that 'lessons were learned', in that horrible phrase!

Edited to add: as we are probably getting rid of most of them anyway, there'll be no point bringing them back. Why not gift them all to the ANA? The Jordanians got our C1 fleet, so there is a precedent :)
  7. I wonder who the rumour was from, prehaps you can shed some light on your '' Source '' or is it '' Sauce ''
  8. The only likelihood of "Challenger 2" going to Afghan is if it was a poster-name for one of the members of this august site and he/she was deployed.
  9. I suppose the had to do something with the space shuttle.
  10. What you actually heard was that "it's going to be a challenge to get Bravo_Bravo to Afghanistan in time for Herrick 14".
    • Like Like x 5
  11. I thought with the terrible accident with the launch of Challenger they wouldn't have bothered with a 2? What goods a space shuttle going to do out there?
  12. You said shed!
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Yes, CR2 will be deployed on H14, this is a well known fact in the public domain.

Crew commanders wil be provided by KRH. ScotsDG will provide gunners/loaders (no Fijians as it clashs with this years rugby). Drivers will be QRH, either Irish or Londoners, no brummies allowed, they sound boring on the intercom. Any drv/mechs will be provided by RTR, they wear black so the grease and oil doesn't show, being under engine decks; they love it the slags. Sqn HQ will be made up volunteers from RWxY and the whole shooting match will be commanded by a major in the Life Guards who will be rumoured in the future to have fathered Kate Middleton's second sprog with ginger hair having taught her how to ride.

You heard it on the internet, it must be true, publish and be damned I say!
    • Like Like x 4
  14. Close; Syria actually.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. and your point is?