Challenger 1

Discussion in 'RAC' started by NineStoneCowboy, Jan 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What happened to Challenger 1 when it was replaced with Challenger 2?

Did we sell them off, or are they in storage somewhere?

9SC

2. I know for a fact that it's possible to buy a deactivated one on the private market these days assuming you've got the cash...........which I haven't. But someone more educated than I will have to give the official answer.

3. They were gifted to Jordan.

4. Tankie2ndrtr

Tankie2ndrtr Old-Salt Reviewer

For a quid Each...Providing BAE or Vickers i think at the time got the contract to supply the spares etc.

2RTR got them 98. Think the Scots dogs got em almost a year before.

5. 98? Or 88? or have I completely missed the boat mate?

6. A number certainly were - I was in Jordan last week and had a long chat with an ex-Jordanian RAC officer on the merits or otherwise of CR1 although on the whole he was very positive about both the donation and the tank.

7. Tankie2ndrtr

received CR2 in 98 ?... IS what i was trying to say, sorry.

8. There is two of them sat in the scrap compound in Barker Barracks along with a few CRARVS. They are begging to be restored, a very sad sight to behold :(

9. Now, if the MOD could see their way to gifting me one...................

10. What happened to all the chieftains which left BAOR in the early 90's?

11. Loads were smelted down, but, some were converted to Bridgelayers plenty are in private hands as far afield as USA, Canada or even Australia. Commander is the best person to ask or Chieftain as they've made it their mission but, some it appears that were meant to be smelted found their way into private hands even though the records state that they were destroyed....wierd!!!

12. Tankie2ndrtr

Hard targets in Hohne and castle martin ;)

13. Correct. Most were smelted down in Sheffield, IIRC. Because they were made of such high grade steel, I think the MOD was able to off-load them for not very much money.

And the sting in the tail was.... when it came to disposing of CR1 in 1998, the whole world had changed and the New Management Strategy had arrived, along with Top Level Budgets, High Level Budgets, etc, industry didn't need as much steel, everyone was talking about (not) handling polluted waste....

....and industry decided that it wanted a lot of money to dispose of each CR1. But nobody had put any money in the budget for those disposal costs because it hadn't cost much to dispose of CF (and I won't go into the armour issues...).

I recall that it was much cheaper to gift the fleet to the Jordanians, and they were given all the spares, tech pubs etc. I think they got a good deal!

Litotes

14. cheers, thanks for the responses

15. Hello NineStoneCowboy,

at least one Challenger I ended up in a museum,most went to Jordan where they have been modifying them.

tangosix.

Attached Files: