chalanger 2

whats it like to drive the challenger 2 and what can you expect in phase 2 training for tank crewmen please go into detail as i am hopeing to join but know nothing about tanks and cant find much on google or youtube all i know is tanks are big and they definitely are not compensating for someting else :wink: :D :D

Chally 2, bit like driving a Chally 1 or Chieftain, sit back and pull the tillers, left tiller turns left, right tiller turns right, gear peddle push up, change up, push down change down, brake in middle, accellerator on the right there you go

Tankie2ndrtr said:
lol, Sadly no more gear pedal "Tropper66"
Therefore even simpler to drive

tropper66 said:
Chally 2, bit like driving a Chally 1 or Chieftain, sit back and pull the tillers, left tiller turns left, right tiller turns right, gear peddle push up, change up, push down change down, brake in middle, accellerator on the right there you go
Have you driven Challenger 1 or 2?

i only want to know what to expect in phase 2 training for tank crewman and what its like fo each member of the crew preferably the gunner because thats what i want to do thanks

You don't really get a say in what job you want to do anymore. Just expect to turn up to Bovington and be told that your doing either a driver or gunner's course. You'll become a a full crewman shortly after joining your chosen regiment as your progress through career course's and the like.

whats the job like can you say yo enjoy it if you were to get through training but didnt like your job how long would you have to wait until you could change

I looked into becoming a tankie as im a loggy the now in the TA but fancy going reg in scots DG's.
As far as im aware you always start as a driver, after time work up to gunner and eventually vehicle commander.
Could be wrong but this is what i was told by recruitment.
please correct me if im wrong

noliveroundsemptycasespr said:
Forks said:
Gunning is rubbish.
How can you call blowing the s*** out any thing that moves rubbish, :cry: ,sir :D .(i had to put the sir in he seems to live near me) :roll:
Haha, but that's the thing. I've NEVER blown the crap out of anything that moves at all. That's why it's 'rubbish'!

Sounds like the spiel I was told at the careers office a couple of years back about what life in the RAC would be like.

There are not too many things more satisfying than sending a main armament round down range and blowing the bejesus out of your target. While your driver is sitting in his seat closed down trying not to get hot rounds down the back of his neck.
Target.
Next target left.
Loaded. go on.

7 juliet - quality range.

i take it u r a b3 driver? obviously if you haven't fired yet you cant be a full crewman?

why the resentment? no good in the pgte?

BIPOLAR77 said:
i take it u r a b3 driver? obviously if you haven't fired yet you cant be a full crewman?

why the resentment? no good in the pgte?
But I am though, I'm a full crewman, I've live fired and I am actually rather good in the TGTs. What I mean by having never blown the crap out of anything is that in 2 years as a trained gunner for whatever reason I've missed most of the live firing that we do. I wasn't able to gun in BATUS, was roled on Bulldogs for the last Telic (whilst C Squadron fired off like a million rounds that were going out of date) and by the time we do ranges this year, I'll most likely be gone from the regiment.

The little firing I have actually done was as a Phase 2 trainee down at Lulworth and 6 rounds at static targets that we were pretty much layed onto perfectly didn't flick my switch. So I guess gunnery at it's best, is amazing (Iraq 2003) but otherwise kinda passable.

But that's my opinion, I'm transferring so no-one should listen to it as it's a pretty unfair account.

Latest Threads