Chain of command fobbing me off

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by LondonTankie, Oct 12, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After serving 3 years since 7/09/08 I have tried to discharge in order to take up a university place. Since I finally (after a month of tracking down the RAWO) managed to click the button, all I got was a vague reply saying 'no'. It's my right to discharge I know, but I'm not getting anywhere and was hoping to be out by January. Any advice would be gratefully received.

2. Out by January? What happened to the 1 year service after signing off?
  3. Perhaps your title is slightly misleading. Without knowing your unit or location, may I suggest that your RAWO should not have been your first port of call, rather your RCMO. Forgive me if I am wrong, but believe you have a right to sign off at the 3 year 3 or 4 month point, but that is providing 12 months notice, to be out 12 months later. What you are requesting is actually early release from your contract. Whilst understanding your perspective of University place (assume you have the paperwork proving the offer - unusual for a January intake?) the chain of command is under no remit to release you early as you have a contract to serve to 4 years 3 or 4 months.

That said, if your RCMO suggests appealing to APC to request early release from your contract, and you have the paperwork proof of offer, you may find they are sympathetic in this current climate of redundancies etc. But, it is a CofC call.
  4. In one of your previous posts you said you were 19
    I'm assuming you joined before you were 18, therefore its 3 years from your 18th birthday before you have the right to give one years notice.
    As Sean995 said APC might sympathetic, but they don't have to release you until the day before your 22nd birthday.
  5. The rules have apparently been changed since 2008 or so I'm told, OC has just told me my sign off date is my 20th birthday. I have paper proof and contact numbers for the intake (it's in Calgary so feck knows) cheers for your answers guys, I'll speak to my rcmo asap.
  6. If the rules have changed noone in my location knows about it, what might have happened is that COs/APC Glasgow are more inclined to to let people go (I think its termed early released) because of the need to make cuts but I don't think its the official policy. Did your OC say anything more about it?
  7. He was extremely vague...this is the problem I'm having mainly, nobody seems to have a clue
  8. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

smoke a spliff and demand a CDT that should do the trick for you.
  9. Well the colonel just promoted a lad who tested positive for cocaine 6 months ago. OC just told me there's now no way I can leave until I'm 22....can I still appeal?
  10. No Terms of service are that if under 18 when you attest you can sign off on your 21st Birthday and get out a year later (midnight on day before your 22nd birthday).

If over 18 then its midnight the day before you attested in four years so three years after you started you can sign off in each case giving 12 months notice.
    It does depend on trades as well as some jobs give 3-5 year time bar after completion of training.

So as a minimum age its 21 before you can sign off and 22 before you can leave.

You still should have your 271W tucked away (copy of your contract)

If over
  11. Damn you could of asked that before i explained in my essay then I could of just said NO