Chagos Islanders win legal battle to return home

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by frenchperson, May 23, 2007.

1. Yes

2. No

3. Dont know

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bloody Good news.

A partcularly shameful part of Britains history
  2. Are they off the coast of Scotland?
  3. Does anybody expect that the islanders would return to their homeland anytime soon? No of course. American base on Diego Garcia will function further.

Btw, how much USA pays for the base to the UK? It would be fair to use at least part of this money for compensation. However I fancy that the sum is rather symbolic.
  4. The article answers your first point. They're returning immediately to 64 islands, but not to Diego Garcia itself.
  5. I watched a documentary on this a couple of years back, and they were treated very very badly, I even wrote to my local MP, the letter back just quoted the party line on the subject.

So was very glad to hear that the Islanders won, hope they get the compensation they deserve.

Power to the people.

6. The USA don't pay anything to the UK PLC for the use of these islands. They were offered as part payment for our debt to America after WW2.

A lot of air support for 'the stan' is flying in from Diego Garcia.
  7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Funny that - if we've paid off the war debt to the USA (I noticed that ?Germany and Japan managed to clear theirs MUCH quicker!!!!!) then why are they still using the base?

Enough is enough; if the debt is paid, start charging the septics rent, the same as everyone else does!

While we are at it, let's make the rent so pricey that we get our war 'reparations' recovered.

As for the indigenous people - glad to see them getting at least close to home - very shameful period, but no doubt as requested by the US at the time.
  8. So 7 years ago there was the decision that the islanders have right to return. But as we know they are still haven't ability to realise their right. What is the difference? Again, the Chagossians have right but are voided an ability. 37 years ago British government founded ships to transfer the islanders. But now, I doubt that the Chagossians would be delivered by transport.

And mainly the Chagossians lived namely on Diego Garcia. Who will compensate them lost property and land owning rights? Other islands are relatively small.

Likely the situation will remain unchanged and the islanders will not returny in the near future. It's a democracy btw. You have many rights but only the rich have abilities to realise them.
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I voted NO as the courts have left the Govt the option of appealing this good decision!
  10. Btw, previosly USA paid only $2 mlns. for its base in Kyrgyzstan. But now USA has to pay something like $150 mlns.

I believe that USA would pay for the base on Diego Garcia even bigger money. Now let's count. There are 2000 islanders. They would be happy to receive $20000 each per year. So I believe $40 mlns. would be enough for compensation. Taking into account that USA spends billions on the war in Iraq it is rather a change.
  11. Perhaps attention can now be turned to Ascension Island where those in residence were promised a degree of automony [ie., deciding by council what's best for the islanders, being able to buy land and own housing etc.,] coupled with the islanders paying tax and a say in the islands future. It seems that the FO has changed it's mind [a suspicion of mine that there is pressure from the Americans behind this]. This is my opinion based on
    1. Reading "the Islander" newspaper on line, 2. conversation with some of the residents, 3. Having spent some time there before and after the transition and 4. Not trusting politicians and the FO to do the right thing.
  12. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Please correct me if I am wrong.
    I understood that there was no indigenous population on Ascension. The British shipped in people from St Helena?
  13. Right that's it let's have Hawaii back while we're at it!
  14. No, that's the Falklands :)