Ch4 "The Somme"

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Ventress, Nov 15, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Any views from last night. I had a few concerns with the visuals:

No mans land: Not quite as verdant and green as shown. Trenches poorly revetted and sandbagged.

Uniforms: poor, not carrying enough kit, poor steel helmets, shoulder titles stuck on, hats 3 sizes to big.

Only saw about 5 Germans at a time

Rawlinson: Could have found a better resemblance actor.

Portrayed the common soldier as a shell shocked gibbering idiot.

Just a few points from a programme which could have been better.

2. Damn , missed it :(

3. Totally agree its shame could of been made better :evil:

4. Why is that that type of program insists on using such ropey actors to portray scenes. When the narrator informs me that the soldier would talk on the march I am capable of visualising such a scene with out being shown soldiers talking on the march. There is considerable footage of the Battle of the Somme most of which is considerable more poignant than what was shown last night. The whole program for me was poor.

5. It was a slightly better effort than most of TV's stereotyped working-class-lions-led-by-callous-upper-class-twits efforts, but it is a pity they didn't use some military advisors during what was obviously an expensive production.

- I think Rawlinson, being in command of about 300,000 men, would possibly have had a few more staff officers around him, and certainly someone to polish his Sam Browne and boots.....!

- Given that there are hundreds of fanatical WW1 re-enactors out there who make sure that even their underpants are 1916-dated, surely the producers could have sorted out some more realistic Tommies;

- Why don't they ever use proper soldiers as extras, or fill their packs with realistic bulk & weights? The Somme Tommies were often bowed down with 120lb+ of ammo and kit - they didn't bimble along with screwed-up bubble wrap in their packs!

- I know several suppliers to the film business who have large stocks of de-act SMLEs, so why did they use a bizarre combination of WW2 No4 rifles, fitted with adaptors to carry Mauser bayonets? Why not just use the real thing?

- Having decided to have gory special effects, why not have a more realistic "trench assault" scene? Instead of the grenades, smoke, speed and savagery described by contemporary accounts, it looked like the Manchesters were on one of those 10-rounds-of-blank-each exercises where the assault can't be hurried because endex is not scheduled until after lunch...

6. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Glad I wasnt alone.

Good spot on the Mk4 rifles and dodgy bayonets.