CGS:upgrading challenger and warrior.

Just like I would make deliberately misleading and fantastical comments about defence equipment and policy on a popular Army themed forum in the hope that SMEs would try to correct me and provide useful intelligence.
I’ve often wondered that about PhotEx.

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
I was going to accuse somebody on here of this, but the piece did say "serving" ;)

Anyway, somebody's in trouble

You can buy all that sort of stuff at any decent 'War and Peace' type show.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Hanwha should now be considered one of the grown ups

Exceeding or reaching parity in engineering excellence with the more well established, and complacent, Western Manufacturers should be applauded.

A Polish mate did point something out.

Poles currently have the following in service:
T-72's
PT-91's
Leo 2A4's
Leo 2A5's
Leo 2PL's

Now add a sixth nature of MBT...

Sell us the T-72s. Change the turret armament for reconaissance stuff, make a load of new labels to go over the Polish ones . . . hey presto, a cheaper, smaller and quicker-in-service recce vehicle ?

Spares may be a slight problem, and give a new meaning to Red Star priority demands.
Poland has lots of spares we can have too, plus new stuff is already manufactured in Ukraine, and the mechanical parts are simpler than C2 / 3 in any case, for home manufacture.

There is also the possibility that I wasn't being 100% serious. . . However your 'serious' answer suggests that the joke might be a little bit too real, bearing in mind the exasperating reality of the recce programme.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Looking at the car wrapping thing, where the vehicle is covered in printed plastic, maybe having pre-printed (or custom-printed for each theatre) camo wraps, to be used as required, might fit in well with the recce role? One of those patterns could be the digi-camo thing, by all means.
Plastic? PLASTIC?

NATO’s boss-bloke is suggesting panzers plastered with photovoltaics so that we can save the planet while blowing it up, and you want plastic?!

Poland has lots of spares we can have too, plus new stuff is already manufactured in Ukraine, and the mechanical parts are simpler than C2 / 3 in any case, for home manufacture.

There is also the possibility that I wasn't being 100% serious. . . However your 'serious' answer suggests that the joke might be a little bit too real, bearing in mind the exasperating reality of the recce programme.
Using T72 in British service would add confusion and surprise to the recce package, a bonus!

German engineering.
Good enough rather than perfect but expensive?

If you're going to get shot at, and lives are on the line then surely you want perfect? Plus, I'm not sure that the thin skinned IFV of yesteryear is long for this world. I have a sneaking suspicion that the HIFV is back!* After all, why should a tank crewman be protected more than an Infantryman?

*Ignore what everyone burbles about the T-15. Britain was planning a HAPC back in the late 40's, with exactly the same protection (and hull) of a MBT

Sell us the T-72s. Change the turret armament for reconaissance stuff, make a load of new labels to go over the Polish ones . . . hey presto, a cheaper, smaller and quicker-in-service recce vehicle ?
T-72 Jalopy? I can see how that'd work on a speed/height idea, not so sure about the optics though.

Looking at the car wrapping thing, where the vehicle is covered in printed plastic, maybe having pre-printed (or custom-printed for each theatre) camo wraps, to be used as required, might fit in well with the recce role? One of those patterns could be the digi-camo thing, by all means.

Plastic? Can I remind everyone the ACAVP still exists at Bovy... Rumour has it inspections still take place to see how the construction of it is holding up to age.

Last edited:

Latest Threads