CGS:upgrading challenger and warrior.

Again. When you're trying to spot target at 4km so you can get ready to engage them as soon as they enter killing range the Mk1 eyeball is not your friend.
True, but can you guarantee every engagement this new MBT will face will be a long range target shoot at 4km?

Or might you need to close up with the enemy to support your infantry during an advance onto a target?

You can have both capabilities with ease by giving your TC access to the roof.

True, but can you guarantee every engagement this new MBT will face will be a long range target shoot at 4km?

Or might you need to close up with the enemy to support your infantry during an advance onto a target?

Your peers will have smashed you with artillery well before you can close up with infantry.

Because those are war stocks…

yes, and I’ll guarantee you right now, the Minister won’t be buying mucho more expensive and politically very sensitive DU fin for CR3.
he will argue the longer barrel gives TC fin better lethality than DU in ‘Murican tanks shorter tubes, and substantially better lethality than rifled DU

Again. When you're trying to spot target at 4km so you can get ready to engage them as soon as they enter killing range the Mk1 eyeball is not your friend.

modern EO systems give 360 degree horizontal/verical night/day multi spectral coverage and far out range any Mk1 eyeball.

Put a pair of safety goggles on, and paint the side bits black. You'll soon see the difference between a 45deg angle CCTV and 120deg human vision.

Think how many times you've seen a plane or a bird in the sky. You'd have missed that with CCTV.
With older CCTV, I’d agree with you. With 4k and even 8k cameras, video stitching and high definition and high dynamic range screens it’s becoming much closer. Give it 5-10 more years and electro optics will be on par or ahead in terms of field of regard and resolution and streets ahead in terms of additional spectrums and tying into other vehicle systems.

I would say both. Whacking targets at huge distance.
Done.
Dominating the battlefield, yeah, they can do that. A rifleman can’t.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
an AJAX passed me this afternoon on the back of a HET heading down into Dorset - it’s big, really, really, really big
“And A400M is really, really useless and really, really noisy and, and did I say Ajax is big? I mean it’s so big, you wouldn’t believe how big it is. And Ajax is also useless, it’s big and noisy and, and it isn’t Russian…

And it’s noisy too, almost as noisy as an A400M but (whisper this) I only know this from Google because I wouldn’t know either of them if they kicked me ***********….

Did you know I have loads of military experience? I was in the RFA you know.”

modern EO systems give 360 degree horizontal/verical night/day multi spectral coverage and far out range any Mk1 eyeball.
Mmmm, i wouldnt tell that to the boom operators on the new KC46 aircraft. Considering if anything shouldnt be replaced with a camera system, this you would think would be high on the list.

Nope, however I trust ours. open source material is out there.

Did you ever wonder why we had F35b over in Cyprus on Shader?

The big bad bear might be good at shooting airliners down.
When you say “ours”; go on.
In your own time.
I do love open source, it’s marvellous.
Now tell us all more.

yes, and I’ll guarantee you right now, the Minister won’t be buying mucho more expensive and politically very sensitive DU fin for CR3.
he will argue the longer barrel gives TC fin better lethality than DU in ‘Murican tanks shorter tubes, and substantially better lethality than rifled DU
More bull shit

Put a pair of safety goggles on, and paint the side bits black. You'll soon see the difference between a 45deg angle CCTV and 120deg human vision.

Think how many times you've seen a plane or a bird in the sky. You'd have missed that with CCTV.
What happens when everyone is wearing a pair of laser safety goggles because there are so many high powered lasers on the battlefield doing everything from target designation to anti-drone work?

From what I have been reading about vision systems, there is a fair bit of research being done on things involving using AI to spot things of concern and highlight them to the user. This includes doing things like recognising vehicles despite camouflage, noticing movement, sensing cases where something looks like one thing in one set of spectra and something else in another set, etc. It would then combine information from multiple different sensors (optical, thermal, radar, acoustic, seismometric, etc.) into one integrated picture for the user, while suggesting priorities for concerns.

This is still research, but it seems likely that this will be the direction major land platforms will go in. The tank of the future will likely be at least as sophisticated as contemporary fighter jets in terms of the sensors and software they will contain. I expect that price tags will climb accordingly, and only the major powers will be able to afford the R&D required to develop a new tank.

If the army are putting that sort of kit into tanks they they will be expecting the commanders to use it.

Mmmm, i wouldnt tell that to the boom operators on the new KC46 aircraft. Considering if anything shouldnt be replaced with a camera system, this you would think would be high on the list.

its not hard

Latest Threads