CGS:upgrading challenger and warrior.

gafkiwi

War Hero
As I've said before, I don't know what Australia's defence strategy is. Looking at the geography however, I suspect that the Australians would be concerned about an enemy gaining a foothold on the northern coast and then using that as a base from which to expand either around the periphery or overland. From an Australian perspective it would be important to prevent the enemy from gaining that foothold in the first place. The same goes for places like PNG by the way.

Inaccessibility works both ways.
I guess the Northern Territory is would be part of their contingency plan/delay operations. What ever the RAN and RAAF can't stop crossing or approaching from the north would have some delay imposed on them by the ADF and the USMC rotational force until wider forces incl the US could be deployed to the region.

That being said the ADF has PNG and Timor Leste as buffers or early warning not to mention Singapore and Malaya further out. There are very few nations that could move the required forces to Australia safely and protected whilst maintaining sea and air links back home.

I guess the Northern Territory is would be part of their contingency plan/delay operations. What ever the RAN and RAAF can't stop crossing or approaching from the north would have some delay imposed on them by the ADF and the USMC rotational force until wider forces incl the US could be deployed to the region.

That being said the ADF has PNG and Timor Leste as buffers or early warning not to mention Singapore and Malaya further out. There are very few nations that could move the required forces to Australia safely and protected whilst maintaining sea and air links back home.

The basic geography hasn't changed much regardless of who the Australians are worried about.
Coming_South_%28AWM_ARTV09225%29.jpg

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
The basic geography hasn't changed much regardless of who the Australians are worried about.
Coming_South_%28AWM_ARTV09225%29.jpg
That’s all assuming a convenient landing on the Northern periphery.

Easier to sail a bit further and hit the Eastern populated strip directly.

The conversation started with the Australians themselves saying that they need to base their main armoured force in the Northern Territories. Perhaps you have alternative ideas on how to go about invading or defending Australia, but I'm just working with what the Australians themselves are planning, as stated in the articles that kicked off this particular digression.

The question is why would anyone want to invade Australia ?

The straight forward answers are to seize control of something of value or to deny.

So that would suggest either the mines or the food crop areas.

Or to prevent Australia from being used as a base against your actions.

Which points to wherever a military base could be constructed and supported.

TamH70

MIA
The question is why would anyone want to invade Australia ?

The straight forward answers are to seize control of something of value or to deny.

So that would suggest either the mines or the food crop areas.

Or to prevent Australia from being used as a base against your actions.

Which points to wherever a military base could be constructed and supported.

Uranium. Lots and lots of uranium. Lots and lots and lots of uranium.

If the Chinese ever made a move to try and grab it by force, everyone and their mothers would be dropping everything they've got that made the World's Biggest Mushroom all over the Continental Chinese mainland.

Cromarty

War Hero

And we and our allies ignore the military build up, embarkation and transit of an invasion force? There aren't that many suitable landing sites despite our extensive coastline. Just keeping a force large enough for an invasion supplied with water would be a massive undertaking. We don't have large reserves of fuel to capture.

riksavage

Old-Salt
If I were the PRC and smoking crack I would invade Western Australia. Ignore the rest of the county for the time being. Take a leaf out of Stalin’s playbook, displace the current WA population, send it East. Big up indigenous rights in WA and claim you’re liberating the poor bastards from white colonialism/oppression. Ship in a million Chinese to work the mines, cattle stations and farms. Distance between WA and the rest of Aus provides you with a nice buffer zone.

Cromarty

War Hero
If I were the PRC and smoking crack I would invade Western Australia. Ignore the rest of the county for the time being. Take a leaf out of Stalin’s playbook, displace the current WA population, send it East. Big up indigenous rights in WA and claim you’re liberating the poor bastards from white colonialism/oppression. Ship in a million Chinese to work the mines, cattle stations and farms. Distance between WA and the rest of Aus provides you with a nice buffer zone.

Haven't they already done this? Ops normal.

The only good thing to come out of WA was.... mmmm no, never mind.

The situation you are describing could only happen after a big war which the Chinese had already won pretty decisively throughout south-east Asia.

I imagine the Australian defence plan runs along the lines of making getting a foothold on the continent difficult enough that it would require a big invasion force. If the required invasion force was large enough, then that might deter the attempt until the war was decided elsewhere and the resources could be spared. Note that this could apply just as much to Indonesia as anyone else.

There is a huge amount of territory to cover and a small army, so mobile armoured forces would seem to be appropriate.

The question being posed though is whether too much mobility has been sacrificed in favour of protection.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
And we and our allies ignore the military build up, embarkation and transit of an invasion force? There aren't that many suitable landing sites despite our extensive coastline. Just keeping a force large enough for an invasion supplied with water would be a massive undertaking. We don't have large reserves of fuel to capture.
Hey, I’m not suggesting folks are lining up to invade Australia. Just that any sort of invasion that lands up north has an awfully long way to go before they reach anything strategically vital (stand fast the Rorke’s Drift Bar in Darwin). More likely to be a enemy inspired insurgency by Westies fighting for a free Parramatta.

gafkiwi

War Hero
Hey, I’m not suggesting folks are lining up to invade Australia. Just that any sort of invasion that lands up north has an awfully long way to go before they reach anything strategically vital (stand fast the Rorke’s Drift Bar in Darwin). More likely to be a enemy inspired insurgency by Westies fighting for a free Parramatta.
I contributed a fair amount of time and money at the Rorke's Drift coming through Darwin during our Timor rotations. I too would consider it vital ground probably more so than Roberston Barracks.

All this chat about our Antipodean cousins is extremely interesting, but what has this got to do with our botched armour procurement?
Shite roads in the Northern Territory won’t fix Ajax or resurrect Warrior!

All this chat about our Antipodean cousins is extremely interesting, but what has this got to do with our botched armour procurement?
Shite roads in the Northern Territory won’t fix Ajax or resurrect Warrior!
It's relevant (or at least some of it is) in that it provides a foundation for discussion of the balance between protection and mobility.

gafkiwi

War Hero
It appears the Venezuelan military also contracted GD/UK Mod for their AFV upgrade. Tinnitus anyone?

RALee85 (@Rob Lee) Tweeted: Video of a Venezuelan modification of a French AMX-13 light tank with 6 106mm recoiled guns from a M50 Ontos and a M2 HMG. Have fun with the tinnitus fellas.
Уголок Ситха
I guess the only saving grace for the dismounts (and crew) was they didn't do a co-ord shot with all 6 at once.

Latest Threads