CGS:upgrading challenger and warrior.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
3500 spare MBTs?

F--k me. That's a lot of armour to have up your sleeve in case someone gets punchy.
I hope they've been kept in CHE and properly maintained...and that they have 14,000 spare trained crew sitting about!

Bluenose2

Old-Salt
I hope they've been kept in CHE and properly maintained...and that they have 14,000 spare trained crew sitting about!
I suppose by the time they've shipped the kit somewhere useful, they could mobilise enough veterans and train newbies to fly out and crew them.

Especially as they'll have a decently capable current and former National Guard pool to draw from too.

Different beans!

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
IIRC the incident you are both referring to was in August 2004.
B Coy 1 PWRR or certainly elements of B Coy where operating out of the Shat Al Arab with Warrior as part of the Cheshire Battlegroup
IIRC 2 Warriors were penetrated by what was being referred to as RPG 22 (not sure if that was the correct term but it was being banded about)
The two warriors were parked on the tank park at the Shat Al Arab waiting to be returned to the UK for inspection

IIRC (again it's ben a while) OC B Coy was wounded when an RPG struck the turret of his wagon and the shrapnel hit him.
I don't think this was part of he 7 RHA rescue it was when it all kicked off when Al Sadir's lot had an "uprising" in the summer
The OC was heads up and the mortar hatches were open, hence his dismounts also getting a good sprinkling of shrapnel. And it was during the rescue.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
The OC was heads up and the mortar hatches were open, hence his dismounts also getting a good sprinkling of shrapnel. And it was during the rescue.
BW, in his recollection doesn’t mention the mortar hatches open, maybe for dramatic effect before the retelling of Danny boy, on a podcast, however he does mention the infantry getting the good news inside the wagon.

3500 spare MBTs?

F--k me. That's a lot of armour to have up your sleeve in case someone gets punchy.
The advantage/disadvantage of having a political system that frequently ignored the requests of the Army & USAF and votes for more money to build more of something. The US Army started sometime in the mid 2000s to request no more new builds for the M1 and the politicans just cheerfully voted more new M1s..

Ok... but how are these going to hit targets at 10km? Also how are you going to get 64 of them on target within a few seconds of each other?

I have a cunning plan.
What if we got a lot of tubes and worked out the angle we'd have to point them up so as to land in the area of those targets ? course they'd have to go bang over a wide area, so maybe load with explosive or a bundle of munitions ? Cluster sounds good

.can I finish me pint ? I did pay for it...

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
The advantage/disadvantage of having a political system that frequently ignored the requests of the Army & USAF and votes for more money to build more of something. The US Army started sometime in the mid 2000s to request no more new builds for the M1 and the politicans just cheerfully voted more new M1s..
Which while laudable in some respects is also immensely wasteful. The US war machine was already winding down M4 production many months ahead of the end of WWII, for instance, as it had done its sums as to how many were needed.

I wonder how many of those M1s smell of pork.

not_observed

Old-Salt
Why yes! You have to train the crew in new TTP's to use a revised model of the fuel tank!

Now, being as how there isn't a single tank crewman concurrent with handling, stowing and loading one piece rounds in the British army… that's a rather big training burden just with the bullets - and lets not start on the new super clever natures that are the stuff of science fiction to the RAC steeped in the lore of HESH
Just when I thought you had been permanently banned and I wouldn’t have to set sight on any of the shite you post, here we are…

Unfortunately for you sweetheart, you’re wrong about that so….unlucky.

There is actually an exchange programme with the Yanks whereby one of their gunnery instructors comes to Lulworth and we send one of ours over to what their equivalent of the gunnery school is. Both have to do a conversion onto the other platform as they teach recruits and 1 pips so technically, we do have a Tank Crewman in the British Army who knows how to handle, stow and load one piece ammunition.
Maybe you could google what I’ve just told you and see if you can find anything to come back at me with?

Just when I thought you had been permanently banned and I wouldn’t have to set sight on any of the shite you post, here we are…

Unfortunately for you sweetheart, you’re wrong about that so….unlucky.

There is actually an exchange programme with the Yanks whereby one of their gunnery instructors comes to Lulworth and we send one of ours over to what their equivalent of the gunnery school is. Both have to do a conversion onto the other platform as they teach recruits and 1 pips so technically, we do have a Tank Crewman in the British Army who knows how to handle, stow and load one piece ammunition.
Maybe you could google what I’ve just told you and see if you can find anything to come back at me with?
I have tried to resist responding to the posts of PhotEx but occasionally things do require comment.

In this case whilst he may be close to the mark what he does miss though is the point that the handling of cased ammunition natures is not exactly rocket science, it is somewhat simpler with one piece ammunition so not really a problem at all.

I believe it maybe the new systems that require a bit of thought, but the RAC managed the conversion between CR1 and 2 without problems I believe so I wouldn’t worry about that, in fact I wouldn’t be surprised if things were simpler given the ISD of CR2 and the advances in technology.

I do agree that PhotEx posts rubbish and that he pontificates upon subjects that he knows of little, he is a very tedious individual.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
It's a realistic ready reserve in case of major conflict, versus our "Shít, we're 24 hours in and we don't have an army left!"
Hello, the early 1940s want you back....

Anybody who thinks we can afford a heavy armour force, with stored reserve, that can operate independently of Allies is, well, has, been ignoring reality.

3500 spare MBTs?

An issue as I understand it is they cannot for political reasons turn the various production lines off and unemploying workers, which in standard successful US Defence doctrine are spread around states represented by Congressmen / Senators, all of whom sit on key defence committees.

Latest Threads