Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CGS:upgrading challenger and warrior.

Read a few days ago* that there was a shortage of Challenger drivers as theyre over tasked and retention is an issue.

I dare say this will (agan) be met with shouts of reduce MBTs then to the number of hulls we can crew.

I cannot be the only one who thinks in this case we need to increase numbers eg another regiment

*Apologies I forget where

Read a few days ago* that there was a shortage of Challenger drivers as theyre over tasked and retention is an issue.

I dare say this will (agan) be met with shouts of reduce MBTs then to the number of hulls we can crew.

I cannot be the only one who thinks in this case we need to increase numbers eg another regiment

That sounds surprising given that CR2 driver is a qualification gained at Phase 2 (or ITT as it is known now), and therefore one of the easiest levers to control for the RAC.

There are of course going to be issues for the whole Army during Covid times getting recruits through assessment centres and basic - but that shouldn’t be specific to tanks.

I certainly wouldn’t be surprised if there was an issue with commanders due to retention at that critical senior Cpl level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds surprising given that CR2 driver is a qualification gained at Phase 2 (or ITT as it is known now), and therefore one of the easiest levers to control for the RAC.

There are of course going to be issues for the whole Army during Covid times getting recruits through assessment centres and basic - but that shouldn’t be specific to tanks.

I certainly wouldn’t be surprised if there was an issue with commanders due to retention at that critical senior Cpl level.

Im sure it said drivers - on the other hand it was media generated so possibly sits in tank = driver in the same way painted green = tank

It was Tobias Ellwood as part of the latest Army shroud waving exercise. British Army set to slash 7,000 roles sparking fears of troops shortage– ‘Sheer madness’

ISWYDT...

Here all week...

panem et circenses

Sciences fairs are ultimately very cheap in comparison to funding your equipment programme properly - and the technology evangelists have convinced the gullible that they can have a chauffeured limousine defence capability for Über prices...

The problem is, it’s very easy to put on a show and tell at Copehill Down with some carefully-selected vignettes to make the gadgets look game changing - it’s less easy to demonstrate that you can actually turn the gadget into an integrated capability that can be used day after day on operations, at a cost that pulls its own weight...

@Gassing_Badgers, I couldn't agree more.

I posted it purely out of concern.

The only thing I think we have in our favour is that the spin is often only skin deep - and for all the bluster about them future of defence’, they know there’s precious little evidence for slashing the ‘sunset’* capabilities to make way for the ‘sunrise’ ones.

And so we go on, a light shave off the top of the budget to pay for another round of science fairs, and keep wheeling out the jolly clever entrepreneurs in small and medium enterprises (whose business model is based on “more research required”...) - all of which distracts from the real business deferring, delaying, and descoping the EP...

* as I always like to point out, the funny old thing about sunrises and sunsets is that one always follows the other

And whilst I’m on one, I just read this crock of shite:

Seriously, what does that actually tell anyone apart from the fact that every CSA wants to reinvent the wheel of S&T governance, whilst steering further and further away from military relevance? Still, I’m sure the lovely words and pictures will probably get a few B-grades an SCS1 job in due course, so not all wasted.

potter

Old-Salt
And whilst I’m on one, I just read this crock of shite:

Seriously, what does that actually tell anyone apart from the fact that every CSA wants to reinvent the wheel of S&T governance, whilst steering further and further away from military relevance? Still, I’m sure the lovely words and pictures will probably get a few B-grades an SCS1 job in due course, so not all wasted.

Indeed. This year we're taking a "Challenge Based" approach. I predict next year we'll swing to "underpinning research", the year after "challenge based", the year after that....

Indeed. This year we're taking a "Challenge Based" approach. I predict next year we'll swing to "underpinning research", the year after "challenge based", the year after that....

”My guiding principle is a clear focus on the future”

Oh, the irony...

If we can develop/produce drones . . . we must be able to destroy/immobilise them.

Different sides of the same coin?!

And, I will believe THAT, when they stop closing (major) airports, because some idiot with a cheap Chinese "drone", is flying the damn thing over the runway. :( .

And, I will believe THAT, when they stop closing (major) airports, because some idiot with a cheap Chinese "drone", is flying the damn thing over the runway. :( .

That has been solved. There's a two tier approach, indeed there's a video of some ecohippies trying to use a drone to sabotage an air port out there. Things do not go well.

There's another layer of defence after that one as well.

Essentially, the idea of using drones has flown, and it won't be coming back.

The French Navy has selected the CTAS 40 RapidFire cannon for its future fleet oilers (BRF) and Oceanic Patrollers. It is also likely going to be fitted to the future mine hunters.

This means more orders for 40 mm telescoped ammo and hopefully will lead to a reduction in prices.

This RapidFire promotional video has been uploaded to YouTube yesterday

Latest Threads