Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CGS:upgrading challenger and warrior.

I put this in here and of course feel free to move elsewhere, just to show what "others" are doing. Now from the start ill say if Carlsberg did Land Warfare Firepower Demos then this maybe it. Not been to any of our recent ones but the Serbs I have to say do put on a good show. But interesting to see upgraded M84 MBT's, wheeled APC's and even some Unmanned Ground Vehicles. The katushya things maybe old hat but I certainly would not want to be on the receiving end. Finally some good shots from their Gazelles.

TURN THE SOUND DOWN WHEN HITTING PLAY!!!

meh! I laugh at Your lethality - and unleash the awesome power of...

TRANSFORMATION!

I wonder if that's the version with the pop out spike Launchers on the turret sides.

Another thing that I find curious. All modern IFV's seem to have really thick skirts on, but not one of them adds any armour upgrade to the front hull. Yes, you have the engine block and transmission to provide protection to the crew, but a mission kill still seems relatively easy to achieve from the front.
Ajax is the same, at best I've only seen a strip of bar armour on the front. Although in the case of the skirts, interestingly, you have the lower part acting as storage lockers.

I wonder if that's the version with the pop out spike Launchers on the turret sides.

Another thing that I find curious. All modern IFV's seem to have really thick skirts on, but not one of them adds any armour upgrade to the front hull. Yes, you have the engine block and transmission to provide protection to the crew, but a mission kill still seems relatively easy to achieve from the front.
Ajax is the same, at best I've only seen a strip of bar armour on the front. Although in the case of the skirts, interestingly, you have the lower part acting as storage lockers.

Both Warrior and Bradley have glacis armour fits of various types.

It’s often limited in coverage for two reasons:

1) Available weight for appliqué armour
2) The need to access the engine and transmission for daily maintenance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both Warrior and Bradley have glacis armour fits of various types.

It’s often limited in coverage for two reasons:

1) Available weight for appliqué armour
2) The need to access the engine and transmission for daily maintenance

On a Warrior at least the addition of appliqué was all part of the design. Equally, if you've only got a limited budget for Appliqué armour, then how low is the AJAX one as the lower part of the armour is storage lockers?

nicely profiled hull and turret to reduce the radar RCS...

now about the massively Radar reflecting turret we’re fitting.

View attachment 512821

A turret that makes up what, 20% of the vehicle? I would venture the honking great big box that is the hull might have a significant part of the signature.

On a Warrior at least the addition of appliqué was all part of the design. Equally, if you've only got a limited budget for Appliqué armour, then how low is the AJAX one as the lower part of the armour is storage lockers?

A turret that makes up what, 20% of the vehicle? I would venture the honking great big box that is the hull might have a significant part of the signature.

armour is often hull down.

At which point it’s radar signature is significantly reduced.

not by a turret that seems to have been designed as a radar reflector it isnt.
Warriors new turret breaks every RCS reduction principle.
90 corners are very, very bad, a perfect reflector.
DFD96565-8F01-4541-9A1F-BE668437E31A.png

Last edited:
not by a turret that seems to have been designed as a radar reflector it isnt.
Warriors new turret breaks every RCS reduction principle.
90 corners are very, very bad, a perfect reflector.
View attachment 512851

Yes it is. Being dug in reduces your overall signature more than the boxy turret increases it.

But even you can see that.

Rarely has the phrase “when you’re in a hole, stop digging” been more appropriate.

Radar signatures all very well, but it's one of the factors.
If you're on the move, your thermal footprint is going to be the bigger issue.
If you're dug in, then it's camo nets up to cut down on thermal and radar signatures. Some of modern nets are pretty awesome.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
If you're dug in, then it's camo nets up to cut down on thermal and radar signatures. Some of modern nets are pretty awesome.
Agreed. On the other hand, everything helps.

Camo nets! Good point

But still, a good trihedral reflector can give you a very large apparent signature.

Add to that - if you’re on the move, Doppler effect will probably make you stand out from the background more than detail on the turret, and it’s also pretty hard to shield the key RCS return off the exposed track and running gear.

Latest Threads