CGS:upgrading challenger and warrior.

Back when the sappers had the M2 we had 15 to a troop. However we weren’t established for enough crew in peacetime.

Thus 3 rigs from each troop were placed in light preservation, which in this case meant putting them in a BFO bag and filling it with nitrogen.

. M2 Rigs | British Army in Hameln
DRY Clad, it was a failure which is why WFM went for dry air storage, much better but still had it's problems mainly because the project team refused to accept that armour, particularly, needed to move every so often and they didn't consider electronics & optics thoroughly enough (IMO).

One of the reasons DRY CLAD failed was because it was used in Unit Lines and equipment managers couldn't follow instructions and leave it alone.

Just like CHE you'll get out what you put in or sh1t in sh1t out so a managed pre-storage regime will be needed. Seemingly potential cost savings in periodic inspections if you leave equipment wrapped for years, (unless you need it) or unless you accept the cost of periodically unwrapping and re-wrapping is part of the programme.

Does sound interesting though and I'd love to know how things like fuel, coolant and windscreen/sight wash fluid deteriorates over time, or doesn't. Also be interesting to know how long seals take to dry out in key components like engine, gearbox/steering unit etc.

I can see the potential for big savings over dry air storage as you should be able to store the vehicles in their normal hangars with no added cost for CHE machinery.
"I'd love to know how things like fuel, coolant and windscreen/sight wash fluid deteriorates over time, or doesn't".

Surely all fluids would be removed/drained/emptied, first ?!

Like what you do, when you (are supposed to) "lay-up" your motorbike for the winter ;) .

DRICLAD, it was a failure which is why WFM went for dry air storage, much better but still had it's problems mainly because the project team refused to accept that armour, particularly, needed to move every so often and they didn't consider electronics & optics thoroughly enough (IMO).

One of the reasons DRICLAD failed was because it was used in Unit Lines and equipment managers couldn't follow instructions and leave it alone.
FOC;-)

"I'd love to know how things like fuel, coolant and windscreen/sight wash fluid deteriorates over time, or doesn't".

Surely all fluids would be removed/drained/emptied, first ?!

Like what you do, when you (are supposed to) "lay-up" your motorbike for the winter ;) .
In CHE the oils remained, as did fuel. Washer bottles were emptied as it adversly affected dry air (duh :) ) and would dry out over time leaving a residue. Also eqpt needed to be dry before being placed in the CHE sheds for the same reason.

In CHE the oils remained, as did fuel. Washer bottles were emptied as it adversly affected dry air (duh :) ) and would dry out over time leaving a residue. Also eqpt needed to be dry before being placed in the CHE sheds for the same reason.
I'm sure there were cases of platforms being dragged out to be put into use again after Telic and were found that the foam in the fuel tanks had melted/degraded for a better word because of the JP fuel used from the Americans.

QRK2

LE
I'm sure there were cases of platforms being dragged out to be put into use again after Telic and were found that the foam in the fuel tanks had melted/degraded for a better word because of the JP fuel used from the Americans.
Equally likely due to 'Diesel Bug' beloved of marine diesel engine owners worldwide.

Now seen two videos on this, both seem to mix CR2 with Leopard. It doesn't show whether an autoloader is fitted (although it does in the twitter bit) for the 130 like RM suggested previously but at least it appears RM are well advanced on their 130 unlike the French 140.

2.05 onwards, you can see the autoloader in action

Equally likely due to 'Diesel Bug' beloved of marine diesel engine owners worldwide.
When we pulled CR2 out of their hangar at TFSU(G) for the Duty REME Bn to work on or when the shed needed re-arranging, those that were runners started with no real problems. Before I left TFSU(G) the IPT were talking about conducting oil health monitoring, not sure if they ever did, but can't remember if any checks on fuel were carried out. ISTR talk of fuel degredation/contamination when the higher ups visited and it was certainly mentioned in the DRICLAD* manual an old mate from 1 Div copied for me.

* @Bubbles_Barker thanks for the correction, I thought that was the spelling but the passage of time rots the brain and I only came across the term when at TFSU(G) so wasn't aware of it when it was getting used.

One of the reasons DRY CLAD failed was because it was used in Unit Lines and equipment managers couldn't follow instructions and leave it alone.
Well we certainly weren’t guilty of that :) Never touched the things - didn’t have enough bods to maintain and operate the 12 we had.

CHE in all it's flavours is another example of how the British Army can take a perfectly sensible idea and shag it up completely.

I worked on the WFM project for 2 years, another example of the army's reverse midas touch, and we got to see some of the back ground evidence gathered to support moving to stored equipment. The Swedish store most of their armour and managed to reduce running costs of the whole fleet to 25%. On the evidence given here we seem to have managed to not only increase our costs but actually failed to maintain a stored fleet in usable condition.

Amazing

CHE in all it's flavours is another example of how the British Army can take a perfectly sensible idea and shag it up completely.

I worked on the WFM project for 2 years, another example of the army's reverse midas touch, and we got to see some of the back ground evidence gathered to support moving to stored equipment. The Swedish store most of their armour and managed to reduce running costs of the whole fleet to 25%. On the evidence given here we seem to have managed to not only increase our costs but actually failed to maintain a stored fleet in usable condition.

Amazing
Best I saw was the US operation in Luxembourg and was the model I thought, and firmly believed, we should have adopted. Very similar setup to what we had at TFSU(G) but they had shipments of knackered stuff shipped back from Ops to go through a thorough programme of repair then brought up to the very latest mod state and losing units would have their knackered kit replaced by stuff in storage. Following this in depth repair and modification, if they weren't allocated to an active unit, they'd be placed into storage. For this they had a comprehensive workforce of Stores/Wksp/Mngt personnel.

Unfortunately WFM started as a simple trial but quickly evolved into an evolving mess with LAND and 1 Div arguing over the process and funding and with REME being one of the major opponents of WFM it was a monstrous battle to get manpower.

After a 6 month battle to get the Wksp decontaminated (thanks RAW) whilst robbing ES 1 Div of their underused Contract Repair funding and personally getting Christmas Trees of vehicles inspected and repaired I was allowed to conduct interviews for 2 x German civvies for my inspection dept and 1 for the shop floor, 1 x civvy for the MT (which at that point I was running as well), 1 x German civvy for Wksp clerk and a Tech Stmn. For my military workforce LAND provided the FTRS SSgt I had at Ashchurch and REME MCM/1 Div gave me a Regular Artisan SSgt and 3 x inexperienced Class 2 Craftsmen, all of which were trying to sign off!

Eventually, after much effort by LAND WFM REME 1 Div agreed to supply manpower on a Duty Bn rota, but this was supplied on a when Bn work and duties allowed.

Ah, still runs on the original oil , there's quality....
Eh ?...I'll get me coat...

Out of interest, am I right in saying that there is problems with WR’s chain gun (think I saw it mentioned here before)?

will those issues be fixed with WR2?

Out of interest, am I right in saying that there is problems with WR’s chain gun (think I saw it mentioned here before)?

will those issues be fixed with WR2?
I think its the same Magic Bullet chewing box that is on the Challenger 2. There's something very similar looking to the top left of the gun mantlet.

Latest Threads