CGS:upgrading challenger and warrior.

I'm guessing you need to have exercise types explained to you?
There's accounts on ARRSE of Radio operators on exercise when over the radio comes the chemical attack warning. They then quickly nip to the tent next door and stick their heads in to see if everyone is wearing their Respirator. the Tent next door was their higher command station "several miles" away.
If memory serves, in the good old days it used to be called an "Exercise with out troops" or some such.

Not every exercise requires you to be all tactical out in the mud, which adds quite a lot to the cost I suspect, and would likely irritate the locals.
"TEWT" . . . ?

Tactical Exercise Without Troops . . ?

NEWN - Night Exercise Without Night.
We had one of those when I was attached to a gunner regiment: what had been planned as a demo of a night occupation was moved to daytime to oblige some visiting VSO.
The gunners obliged by tripping over things, falling off things, dropping things and being unable to find them again, and wandering off and getting lost on the "dark" and " heavily forested" gun park.
It lasted about ten minutes before the grown ups got upset and retired to the mess.

We had one of those when I was attached to a gunner regiment: what had been planned as a demo of a night occupation was moved to daytime to oblige some visiting VSO.
The gunners obliged by tripping over things, falling off things, dropping things and being unable to find them again, and wandering off and getting lost on the "dark" and " heavily forested" gun park.
It lasted about ten minutes before the grown ups got upset and retired to the mess.
As safety staff in BATUS did a night illum shoot in daylight as the gunners got lost and did not turn up till after first light.

I remember exercises occupying a car park with several 9x9s and 12x12s all replicating what comms would be occuring between an HQ and outlying dets. Not uncommon for the blokes on one end of carpark to be at cat 4R while 50 yards away we'd be in shirt sleeve order. Then the "gas cloud/fallout" would turn up and we'd be trying to get into noddy suits while flash messages came through and someone knocked the coffee over the exercise traffic.
Meanwhile in the 12x12 grownups supped tea and Jaffa cakes while pushing around imaginary units on a map under the watchful eyes of DS.

Last edited:
Alas, Uncle Dom is going to ask Land the following 3 killer questions

Why do you need them now?
Where are you going to use them?
How did you manage without them this long?

Only a few HAS, the Baltic chaps have been diligently turning their former hardened Russian airbases into very soft ones, see Siaulai, only a handful left out of 50 odd, and the airfield outfield open to the public for things like off-road racing,. In practice, NATO has 3 air bases in the Baltic’s, hardly a major tactical problem for the Russians. But I’m sure the requisite number of armoured bulldozers and runway construction equipment required to fix runways cratered and littered with rocket delivered mines like confetti are pre positioned.

meanwhile, at Lielvarde, NATO does things like make their Russian counterparts shake their heads in disbelief with its idea of a Headquarters deployment.

View attachment 445126

NATO - it doesn't train serious.
I was on that exercise and remember it well. It was a CPX, albeit with some FP measures. In terms of HQ laydown, it was not meant to be representative of crisis deployment to the Baltics. But it was designed to test the staff, the comms and the sustainment.

Politically, it played very well with the Latvian government, to the extent that the President and Prime Minister held an emergency cabinet meeting to which both SACEUR and COMARRC were invited.

I was on that exercise and remember it well. It was a CPX, albeit with some FP measures. In terms of HQ laydown, it was not meant to be representative of crisis deployment to the Baltics. But it was designed to test the staff, the comms and the sustainment.

Politically, it played very well with the Latvian government, to the extent that the President and Prime Minister held an emergency cabinet meeting to which both SACEUR and COMARRC were invited.

Son et Lumière pour encourage les Balts

I was once asked by my boss at the time to simulate prodding and excavation of buried mines on a paved area. I sarcastically asked said boss if they’d like me to wave a metal detector over the area too. They didn’t catch the cynicism in my comment:

“That’s a good idea Bob, can you wear the PPE all day too?”

They seemed most surprised by my reply, which they seemed to regard as rather churlish.