CGS:upgrading challenger and warrior.

Yeah it didn't work, though it was a 105mm they used, the Stryker Platform was too small/light. They had more luck with the Centauro which is where they got the idea from. The Centauro was a purpose built Wheeled Tank Destroyer that was later developed into the Freccia IFV, whilst with Stryker MGS it were the other way around.

Boxer as a bigger, more substantial vehicle all round shouldn't suffer the same issues, they've even slapped a 155mm SPG module on it.
The Italians signed off on a Centauro upgrade last year, Centauro II will mount a 120mm high pressure gun.

Merkava was

Merkava designed in late 70s
I can’t speak as to the accuracy of this video but it appears to make good points
The fuel, engine etc in effect is spaced armour and Merkava appears to be protected against HEAT rounds.

The Israelis possibly have a different definition in the triad of protection.... they care about the crew not the vehicle itself.

?

I can’t speak as to the accuracy of this video but it appears to make good points
The fuel, engine etc in effect is spaced armour and Merkava appears to be protected against HEAT rounds.

The Israelis possibly have a different definition in the triad of protection.... they care about the crew not the vehicle itself.

?
As a country with a small population, getting the crew back is a priority, yes. Merkava was also originally designed to be used a lot of the time in prepared defensive positions. Hence Israeli interest in Chieftain, I guess.

Bit of an assassination job that video, like...
Yeah I've watched a couple of his videos and seem to be more "I can google or read Janes" than actual knowledge. Generally comparing apples with oranges to get an answer of how the "Insert Russian Tank name here" would be better than anything else regardless of how they are employed or the skill of their crews.

Does this mean we're getting the RHM turret and Smoothbores? Or is there another step to go?

Unfortunately the AIB just ensures that the Army has the money available - which in this case probably includes their preferred option.

As a Cat A procurement, this will still need Main Gate approval by the IAC and HMT - which as one of the Twitter comments suggests, would be later this year.

This is still good news though - it means that even in these difficult times, the Army still sees this as a priority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why hasnt it been cancelled if its unachievable?

Too scared of political backlash? Or they've spent that much money on it they have to keep going?
Ive heard the big problem is too many of the aluminium hulls are delaminating and falling to bits, so no-one bothered to actually go and look to check it was cost effective to upgrade what are effectively 30 year old shagged vehicles.

The plan was to extend them to 2040 when some of the hulls will be at least 50 years old, im not sure whoever put that plan together put enough thought into what condition a 50 year old IFV would be in.

Ive heard the big problem is too many of the aluminium hulls are delaminating and falling to bits, so no-one bothered to actually go and look to check it was cost effective to upgrade what are effectively 30 year old shagged vehicles.

The plan was to extend them to 2040 when some of the hulls will be at least 50 years old, im not sure whoever put that plan together put enough thought into what condition a 50 year old IFV would be in.
£1B wouldn't be far off buying 200 AJAX IFV, and we would have new vehicles.

Bulldog is a nightmare and that is only a APC, would hate to see what a WARRIOR would be like at that point.

£1B wouldn't be far off buying 200 AJAX IFV, and we would have new vehicles.
That would imply that the unit cost of Ajax IFV would be £5m each, when the average cost across the programme thus far is £6m, averaged across turreted and unturreted vehicles. The latter being much cheaper.
Why hasnt it been cancelled if its unachievable?
Because unachievable doesn't mean what you think it does? Perhaps it is dependent on a bunch of parameters you aren't aware of that can be addressed?

Unachievable within current time and cost parameters...

And yes, doing **** all with a flakey 30-30 year old hull before trying to mate it with a 21st century turret probably wasn’t a far-sighted decision....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest Threads