CGS:upgrading challenger and warrior.

Those are Cambodian numbers on the plate: 0387. In all my time working out there I only ever saw T55/T59 or PT76. They never moved. Never, ever saw one of these!

When they had their little scuffle with Thailand a few years ago they made a big thing about their first live firing of BM21 in 19 years! I don't think a top trumps list that includes Cambodia on a list of 'who has the most tanks' means anything.
That's sort of my/our point. It's a half ased and utterly stupid Negative news story. Instead of say 'New toys for the Army!" its' a case of 'We're abotu to be beaten by the Cambodians!', and thus gets roundly mocked by everyone.

Again, I point to the thousands of tanks held by the Iraqi Army in 1991 - which did them a fat lot of good against superior technology and training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again, I point to the thousands of tanks held by the Iraqi Army in 1991 - which did them a fat lot of good against superior technology and training.

What do you, a mere tanker for most of your life know, when compared to her work as political correspondent, and her role of author of a book on a Suffragette? Look she's backed up by some lass from Sky TV as well:

It's amusing to watch how the story evolves though.
Lucy: only 148 tanks will be upgraded.
Deborah: 148 tanks will be upgraded, while the others are to be scrapped.

I wonder how this is going to propagate.

148 tanks is what

2 x Type 56 regiments - which is what is required to equip the 2 x Armd Inf Bdes

Plus about 36 spares

So that would be 2 x squadrons (Trg, BATUS, etc)?

How compatible will the "new" tanks be with the "old" ?
Creating two separate lines for spares could be fun.
What low cost ( ok, advisedly ) upgrades could be carried out on the "old" tanks that would still keep them going for a few years ? I'm thinking upgrading the TI, and possibly getting them APS.

How compatible will the "new" tanks be with the "old" ?
Creating two separate lines for spares could be fun.
What low cost ( ok, advisedly ) upgrades could be carried out on the "old" tanks that would still keep them going for a few years ? I'm thinking upgrading the TI, and possibly getting them APS.
You mean the 79 remaining (current 227 CR2 minus the 148 being upgraded) ?

None!

That is why the 148 are being upgraded to keep them going a few more years.

The remaining 79 should be filled with concrete and used as targets

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
What do you, a mere tanker for most of your life know, when compared to her work as political correspondent, and her role of author of a book on a Suffragette? Look she's backed up by some lass from Sky TV as well:

It's amusing to watch how the story evolves though.
Lucy: only 148 tanks will be upgraded.
Deborah: 148 tanks will be upgraded, while the others are to be scrapped.

I wonder how this is going to propagate.
Haynes was Defence Correspondent at the Times before taking the Sky Job earlier this year.

At RAC 80 earlier this month, the most senior officer in the RAC stood up in front of the packed hall and announced CR3. It is the CR2 hull but with a brand new turret housing the Rheinmetal 120mm smoothbore gun. He did not say how many we are getting but it looks like circa 150. This information is not street corner gossip, or rumour. The top man himself, stood up, microphone in hand , and announced it! We even have photo's of it.

Attachments

At RAC 80 earlier this month, the most senior officer in the RAC stood up in front of the packed hall and announced CR3. It is the CR2 hull but with a brand new turret housing the Rheinmetal 120mm smoothbore gun. He did not say how many we are getting but it looks like circa 150. This information is not street corner gossip, or rumour. The top man himself, stood up, microphone in hand , and announced it! We even have photo's of it.
Rheinmetall smoothbore is a good start. Any idea of the length of the gun - considering the Yanks have to play with the L/44 peashooter version, I'd very much like it if we had the same one the Boxheads use, namely the L/55 gun.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Rheinmetall smoothbore is a good start. Any idea of the length of the gun - considering the Yanks have to play with the L/44 peashooter version, I'd very much like it if we had the same one the Boxheads use, namely the L/55 gun.
L/55 all the way, it's what's on the prototype

And we are back at the top of the food chain when they arrive, well bar the small numbers issue.

The L/55A1 high-pressure version, as used on Leo 2A7V.

Hopefully they’ve also signed a deal to use US DU ammunition, which would make the combination the most powerful tank armament in the world...

So, when taken in context with new armour and APS, Chally has LEPt* from being the special kid at the back of the race, to a full-on Olympic medalist! Quite something given the many on this site who claimed the Army were deliberately neglecting their heavy armour.

* see what I did there?

Hopefully they’ve also signed a deal to use US DU ammunition, which would make the combination the most powerful tank armament in the world...

So, when taken in context with new armour and APS, Chally has LEPt* from being the special kid at the back of the race, to a full-on Olympic medalist! Quite something given the many on this site who claimed the Army were deliberately neglecting their heavy armour.

* see what I did there?

More on the L/55A1 from this (now rather old) post on Below the Turret Ring.

Below The Turret Ring: Leopard 2 projects

Including piccies of the new 130mm version for some reason!

More on the L/55A1 from this (now rather old) post on Below the Turret Ring.

Below The Turret Ring: Leopard 2 projects

Including piccies of the new 130mm version for some reason!
The 130mm was supposedly designed to be directly upgradable from 120mm, in the same way as 30mm Bushmaster can be upgraded to super 40...

* see what I did there?

[COUGH!]

Most powerful tank armament . . .

. . IN . . . THE . . . W O R R R L D . . .!!

;) .

Last edited:
Given the main theatre of operations that the UK is likely to use MBTs is in Eastern Europe, surely 150 tanks are an umbrella in a hurricane?
Following that logic, if the main theatre is Eastern Europe, then the U.K. certainly isn’t going to be fighting alone.

In which those tanks will play a very useful part in the NATO plan, and will be more than capable of holding their own alongside the latest Abrams and Leopard models.

Latest Threads