CGS:upgrading challenger and warrior.

It was raised because if it were a warmed-over Leopard 2 turret, the coaxial mount would be an MG3 (or a 7.62MM NATO MG42 if you prefer)

(/nowah)
Beat me to it, that’s what I was alluding to.

Tt has a dual purpose. And Admit it, that armoured cover on the barrel of the Vickers gun on the A.12 Matilda Looks cool as anything.

Ahhh, good point.
Another thing which I'm wondering about is that gun mantlet.
Armoured Vickers MGs are cool? Only because they might, for a nanosecond, fool the enemy into thinking you have a real gun.

In other news the US are pursuing 50mm cannon......

Armoured Vickers MGs are cool? Only because they might, for a nanosecond, fool the enemy into thinking you have a real gun.

Sod it. Co-ax Polsten...

Oh, hang on. 1944. Remind me... :-D

...more seriously it's interesting that a 'meaningful' secondary is being considered. There was a RUSI article in 198? which looked at the Israelis' use of over-barrel .50s, mortars and both commander's and loader's .50/.30cals.

Which is a massive waste of well everything. Especially weight. Remember many tanks have tried mid tier cannons, and yet we keep on defaulting to rifle calibre MG. Why? because of Weight, ROF and a whole slew of other considerations, not limited to the humans operating it.
Apprently measured response isn't something solders in tanks buy into, they just default to whacking it with their biggest weapon to make sure it's dead as fast as possible.

Sod it. Co-ax Polsten...

Oh, hang on. 1944. Remind me... :-D

...more seriously it's interesting that a 'meaningful' secondary is being considered. There was a RUSI article in 198? which looked at the Israelis' use of over-barrel .50s, mortars and both commander's and loader's .50/.30cals.
The Polsten was judged to be a right shit show, mainly for its performance inside the tank. Where as the 15mm BESA was dearly loved, and when asked to design their own tanks the 15mm made a reappearance as a bow gun, and the Polsten was never even suggested.

Looks a bit wider though? and there's that funny box around the upper gun?
The latter was what my memory was suggesting was a mantlet.
What's left of the TOGS barbette. follow previous link for a similar angle shot of the regular CR2

The US 50mm comment is not about an MBT coax/ secondary but main gun for a STRYKER platform or perhaps PMF or whatever its called, US version of AJAX/PUMA, which might also have a 105mm.......

For @Listy .....

Here it is - no other photos, no model.....

No reduction in number of rds carried over CR2. Capable of upgrade to 130mm with autoloader.

View attachment 373260
I do like the way that whoever produced the photo managed to misalign the two pieces so the toe plate has a notch in it, though it could just be the size and curve distorting the display.

Looks good though.

ETA this is what I was trying to say before my fat fingers hit post too early.

Last edited:
Quick question from those that know. Assuming the companies that put these things together using CH2 chassis, is there spare ones knocking around that the MOD allow them to have or do the companies themselves have a few lying in the back of the factory?

Quick question from those that know. Assuming the companies that put these things together using CH2 chassis, is there spare ones knocking around that the MOD allow them to have or do the companies themselves have a few lying in the back of the factory?
I would imagine some of the nigh on 200 CR2's taken out of service would serve the purpose adequately? I don't think there is a shortage of spare hulls unless they've all been chopped up?

BAE and RM were both given a couple of tanks as I understand it....and the ability to call off on the spares inventory I should think.

Latest Threads