CGS:upgrading challenger and warrior.

Can we do a clean sheet of paper job for the turret and gun replacement of the Challenger 2 - instead of fannying around trying to put a bigger gun in the turret used at the moment, and keep the current hull, or is that idea a non-starter? I mean, if the running gear and power pack are fine, and the hull still works, then we don't need to scrap the whole tank if we can just plug another turret into the thing.

In short, yes.

But don't mention it to Meerkatz because he'll have a stroke.

Balarus getting the T-72B3
A question, what's with the modern trend of protecting only the fighting compartment with ERA and skirts? While the engine compartment gets largely ignored?

Optimum usage of weight?
It’s not really a modern trend - appliqué armours have always been prioritised over the frontal arc to protect crew and ammunition.

There’s only so much weight available, and designers have to prioritise the facets of the tank that are most vulnerable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A question, what's with the modern trend of protecting only the fighting compartment with ERA and skirts? While the engine compartment gets largely ignored?

Optimum usage of weight?
It looks like there is slat or bar armour on the sides of the engine compartment in that one, and also on the back of the turret.

You tend not to get people in the engine compartment........except in Ukraine

bmt72-21l.jpg

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Balarus getting the T-72B3
I thought they got them in June last year? These seem to be the ‘better’ version of the B3 (not B3M/B4) with bar armour on the engine compartment sides and rear with more ERA towards the turret rear and bar armour on the rear turret.

No APS such as Shtora?

Meanwhile, a promised and much needed fleet of new tanks and armoured vehicles is years late, over budget and beset by technical problems....

M60 base armour is actually pretty good, albeit it's monolithic.
1597781_10201663419852038_686178326_o.jpg

There are up -armouring kits for the M60, some offering pretty decent improvement