CGS: Send your employees to the TA

Perhaps CGS would like to get the Shit Online Application Section of the Army Jobs site sorted, it's fucked and has been for two weeks.

Perhaps the CGS should do a survey of what people's civvy employment status actually is. Significant numbers are self employed, temping, students or unemployed.

Of those who are conventionally employed (is it even the norm now?) how many work for companies large enough that they won't be missed for an extra couple of weeks leave for training let alone a mobilisation?

The problem the CGS has here is that he's never had to work in civvy street so can not possibly have any idea of how it really operates. I'm reminded of the late Labour MP Tony Banks once asking a senior officer why troops couldn't do something useful when not at war like providing security at football matches etc.

Was nominated to be part of that syndicate thing where we met up to discuss the fr 2020 document (think that is what it was called) there was a officer from 2 royal Irish who also ran his own company in civiy street, said he would not employ somebody in the TA, granted he runs a small company and the loss of somebody who went on ops would be keenly felt, but if a serving TA officer wont employ ta soldiers then they can't really expect other company's to higher ta soldiers

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

I work for a company that directly supports the Army, essentially doing what I used to do as a squaddie except I am wearing civvies now.....even this lot are not especially happy about some of us being/thinking about going TA.

The problem the CGS has here is that he's never had to work in civvy street so can not possibly have any idea of how it really operates. I'm reminded of the late Labour MP Tony Banks once asking a senior officer why troops couldn't do something useful when not at war like providing security at football matches etc.
I'm sure he has an inkling of the issues but has to make the best of what he's been given to work with. Not sure I understand why the deluded ramblings of a labour MP has to do with the insight of a senior military officer.

Your "point" about understanding how civvy st works is so trite and bone that it sits very well in the TA forum - I wonder what the reaction would have been if DCLF said pretty much the same thing?

My employers have never had an issue.

I've been self employed too.

If I had an employee who wanted to deploy I'd support him. It's about valuing people.

If I had an employer that blocked my deploying I'd have left: either the job or the TA.

That's just me of course.

Really ...... since CAPITA took over .... what a surprise!
I also phoned the turds at CAPITA twice they didn't even know the site is having serious server issues and yep, you can't do the application over phone. The local AFCO lads think they are shite also but can't help. It's prob cost them a few potential recruits already, ex regs are used to being fucked about though so I'll wait out...the turds.

I also phoned the turds at CAPITA twice they didn't even know the site is having serious server issues and yep, you can't do the application over phone. The local AFCO lads think they are shite also but can't help. It's prob cost them a few potential recruits already, ex regs are used to being fucked about though so I'll wait out...the turds.
I take it you never needed to 'warm' to a job? It's only been a couple of weeks, there are going to be teething problems.

I'm sure he has an inkling of the issues but has to make the best of what he's been given to work with. Not sure I understand why the deluded ramblings of a labour MP has to do with the insight of a senior military officer.

Your "point" about understanding how civvy st works is so trite and bone that it sits very well in the TA forum - I wonder what the reaction would have been if DCLF said pretty much the same thing?
As you say: "deluded ramblings"

The TA soldier does not Jump cheerily onto his bicycle for a mass exit from t'factory gates when the shift finishes at 4pm, cycle half a mile to his terraced house where his wife has his tea ready for him before getting the bus two miles to the town Drill hall for a couple of hours of rifle drill and a few pints in the bar with the rest of his Company.

It's far more likely that he's working long hours with a disjointed life style as a result, has to travel a good way to his TAC because they are now so thinly spread, has to pick up something to eat on the way but doesn't get his TEA any more. Rocks up to find there's twelve people there of whom most are hiding in an office or the stores. Does some bone lesson for the grillionth time and then has a half in the bar because he's got to drive home.

I think the CGS is looking at a civilian work pattern that is very much different to reality. No doubt many civilians think that the Regular army spend all their time bulling boots, blancoing webbing, shouting and whitewashing coal.

The TA is going to need a bigger rethink than this for FR2020 to work.

Would I be correct in thinking you're a Regular Army soldier?

Really ...... since CAPITA took over .... what a surprise!
I take it you never needed to 'warm' to a job? It's only been a couple of weeks, there are going to be teething problems.

Not being able to even fill in the application form two weeks down the line is bit of a Teething Problem that's for sure and the lack of info from staff is pretty appalling. I'd heard some pretty damning stories about CAPITA, but I hoped they were just ill founded rumours. I have to say so far I'm not very impressed with them.

is bounty in yet ?

If the quotes are correct, I'm not sure that he has such an inkling. More likely he has been briefed on the relationship between the TA soldier and his employer and that briefing has been given by somebody who either has inadequate knowledge of the subject or has massaged the facts to provide an easier report. It's too easy for somebody to relate in detail their personal experience while ignoring the relationships that others enjoy (or otherwise).

If you don't understand the relevence of the comparison of Tony Banks with the CGS, let me explain (though it should be obvious). To the end-user, they're both spouting rubbish. You view the attitude of Tony Banks as "deluded ramblings" because you know that he hasn't a clue about the workings of the British Army (though, once we're out of Afghanistan, you may just appreciate (if you can lose your indoctrination) that he just may have a point). He didn't know that and I doubt that anybody has ever unemotionally educated him so he'll still be none the wiser.

The CGS isn't stupid, he's a Sapper after all. But civilian workings are outside his experience. I've Googled his bio and there's nothing in it that even remotely suggests that he has had any involvement as a civilian employee. The chances are that his personal knowledge is limited to acquaintance of ex-officers who have places in civilian firms - and those ex-officers may well be gilding the lily about how companies respond to having TA soldiers on their staff.

You certainly don't appear to have a clue about civilian life. Your comment about "so trite and bone that it sits well in the TA forum" shows not only that you are uneducated in the subject but suggests that you despise the TA. Beneath you? Well, it's that attitude that dooms the "One Army" concept to failure. Until soldiers of all ranks, Regular and TA, look to the benefits of what each can give, use those benefits to best effect and make honest efforts to harmonise the two Armies by fully understanding their capabilities and limitations, we're still going to have two isolated Armies.

Your comment "I wonder what the reaction would have been if DCLF said pretty much the same thing?" emphasises that you don't understand the workings of the TA soldier's mind. We have not been indoctrinated from immaturity. It matters not whether the words were spoken by the CGS or the DCLF. It wouldn't matter whether HMQ or Santa Claus uttered the words, we would recognise that they're neither appropriate nor relevant to the current situation. We do not have to convince ourselves and our subordinates that our superiors are correct except when we're in uniform and, thankfully, that's a relatively small proportion of our time.

I have the utmost respect for you Regulars and your ability to think common sense and speak utter bollocks. But then, it's a requirement for promotion, I suppose.