ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

Featured CGS: Regular Reserve to be called up to augment Army

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jim30, Sep 11, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. @Auld-Yin Hang your ToS/Glengary up in shame. Tsk. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Yup. We were supposed to be. (Snigger.)

As was said on the 8 day jolly to Germany: "What are they going to do? Lock me up for a week?" However, we were shambling along quite haphazardly until we approached a Yank base. The way we went past their barrier would have made the London GSM weep with pride: tick tock, tick tock, tick. Meh...

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. That would be quite the achievement - just how many pairs of hands have you got?

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. I added the word you left out o_O

Extra points if you remember the badge man as a scrawny crow. Double if you have decent blackmail on them, or recommended them for their first tape.

(I can't go near my old mob, I remember the CO when he was a UOTC OCdt and I was a visiting Coy 2ic... and there's an SSM in the Yeomanry who I remember as a rather differently-shaped Pte in our platoon...)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 3
  5. Due to my current state of fitness and weight, I would make a well-trained sandbag.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. The Somerset levels would benefit from your skills during the next MACA flood response!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. You wait - its coming in all its Glory - i reckon (in fact have heard discussed by various Army types) that we will get to the stage of pension dependent on maintaining currency and competence.... When i pointed out it would require an act of Parliament the answer was a very straight faced ' it has been discussed'........................

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Care to extrapolate

9. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

What is needed to cure all this is a good ******* war.

• Like Like x 1
  10. well it can't be retroactive- but then I don't get one:D

11. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

A war that involves us being on the defensive and EVERYBODY having to pull together. Not some piss arrse expedition to a sandpit where we might reasonably expect to win because it's on our terms.

• Like Like x 6
  12. Why not if they are going to change legislation - keep in mind the current financial state of the country and the fact that some 37yr olds are currently receiving £13000 per year for the rest of their lives (an income of just over £1/3 M until pension age (and not including all of the RPI uplift shenanigans at 55 - for honestly doing the square root of bugger all). I dont think that many would see it as an unreasonable ask - the rest of the country (outside of the City) has been told to tighten their belts because of austerity- i don't think there will be much sympathy...........

Sun headline of ' Army asks Ex Soldiers to keep skills in return for £400K' wouldn't upset too many people (apart from those of us whom it applies too).

:(

13. It might be a fair exchange, money for skills, if the government had actually given the indexed linked pension they had promised.

Having been in receipt of my pension for 25 years I now estimate that it would need to be increased by 20% to bring it to the correct level to have actually have been properly linked to inflation.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Fcek me! You just could not make this stuff as fiction.

Ah but I is forgetting:
    * don't do as I do, do as I say
    * one rule for them and one rule for "us"
    * if you can't take a joke....

15. Well there is a pecking order isn't there. Bankers first. 99% of all people who recieve a pension pay into their pension pots. It is actually not a requirement to do bugger all. Just be where they are supposed to do for which they are paid. No there won't be much sympathy, but there are now fewer Soldiers Police FF's or Border staff to fulfil their functions. When there are none they won't be able to moan. The other 1% don't require a pension, they own the lot.