• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

CGS: Regular Reserve to be called up to augment Army

A war that involves us being on the defensive and EVERYBODY having to pull together. Not some piss arrse expedition to a sandpit where we might reasonably expect to win because it's on our terms.
You mean like a war of national survival? One with proper food rationing, conscription and the like? It'll never fly; it's against our 'umin rights, innit.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Why not if they are going to change legislation - keep in mind the current financial state of the country and the fact that some 37yr olds are currently receiving £13000 per year for the rest of their lives (an income of just over £1/3 M until pension age (and not including all of the RPI uplift shenanigans at 55 - for honestly doing the square root of bugger all). I dont think that many would see it as an unreasonable ask - the rest of the country (outside of the City) has been told to tighten their belts because of austerity- i don't think there will be much sympathy...........

Sun headline of ' Army asks Ex Soldiers to keep skills in return for £400K' wouldn't upset too many people (apart from those of us whom it applies too).

:(
So are you saying that I could have to successfully complete MATTs (or whatever they're called now) once a year in order to keep my receiving my pension for the next year?

it would be interesting to see how the Army justifies making delayed payment for work already completed (which a pension is) contingent on future performance. I suspect this is smoke, mirrors and bullshit from a group of people who are trying to make a shitty plan work and are grasping for classic leadership threats to achieve it.

it would be interesting to see how the Army justifies making delayed payment for work already completed (which a pension is) contingent on future performance. I suspect this is smoke, mirrors and bullshit from a group of people who are trying to make a shitty plan work and are grasping for classic leadership threats to achieve it.
Is this idea an Army thing though? I'd have thought it would be applied across all three branches.

Is this idea an Army thing though? I'd have thought it would be applied across all three branches.

whatever - I doubt it'd pass muster.

and if it did, if I were crock, and couldn't pass my 2 annual firefighting test, would the RN place me on remedials, offer me access to a physio if my knees didn't work, and pay me to be off work to attend all of this?

I genuinely think this is a "strawman" proposition - which has probably been triggered by the delayed payment of stock options example - which really hasn't been thought through.

Back in 1989/90 the recruit selection process was being reorganised with Sutton Coldfield closing and the Selection Officers moving out to Districts.
Someone obviously had a sense of humour as the re-organisation was called Plan X.

I think you are absolutely right - when i questioned the detail (for example if i injured my self training to meet this mythical yearly competency how would i get fixed - the answer was lacking (as i suspect is all the practical detail).

But it does show the increasing desperation to fill the ever growing void of manpower.........

Mach

I all seriousness, I think it's down the concept of not having a job for life and pension pots are expensive. Moreover the state does not want to have to pay even an OAP. It worked on a Ponzi system when the average life span meant you wouldn't collect. That was 106 Years ago before we lost 2 million odd people in two punch ups. Unfortunately if the Government determines it wants to provide certain services, it has to have the facility to run them. The key issue is they do have a recruitment problem and the life of any particular piece of hardware has the approximate life span of a serviceman, some less. It's also why the Blair Government tinkered with CS/ Serps pensions as one of it's first actions.

I couldn't help but smile at CGS assertion that a highly successful exercise was conducted and it would be followed by a full exercise on calling out the Regular Reserve next year.................... About minute 31 in his RUSI speech. I personally cant wait.........

I couldn't help but smile at CGS assertion that a highly successful exercise was conducted and it would be followed by a full exercise on calling out the Regular Reserve next year.................... About minute 31 in his RUSI speech. I personally cant wait.........
Ooooo....I think my dodgy ‘non-specific back problem’ is about to play up again.

Unless my work & the Army are both paying me and work giving me free leave too; then it’ll suddenly clear right up.

Ooooo....I think my dodgy ‘non-specific back problem’ is about to play up again.

Unless my work & the Army are both paying me and work giving me free leave too; then it’ll suddenly clear right up.
As a friend of mine said when we discussing this - 'never mind the PFA - I couldn't walk to the gym........'
Im sure it would only be a paperwork exercise as the cost of any actually mobilisation exercise is likely not included in the massive Army budget..........

Latest Threads