CGS: : put Britain on a war footing to win in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by msr, Jul 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

“What [a confusion between operational effectiveness in the field and financial efficiency] has done is accelerate the trend towards pulling decision-making ever more towards the top. Fine if the top can take decisions, but over-centralisation is the antithesis of mission command,” General Dannatt said.

2. Well Said General D. A suitable parting "up yours" to the current administration.
  3. Bob Ainsworth with an accutely developed ability in hindsight and stating the obvious. It doesn't mean anything will actually change, unfortunately.
  4. ..... or perhaps he is actually going to surprise us all, grow a pair and start to do the job he is actually paid to do .... ??

The jury is out on this for the moment but if he has been reported correctly then lets cut him some slack and see how it goes.
  5. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Don't be so nieve, he's a second rate nobody who has a history of second rate underachievement, a few mealy mouthed words will change nothing.
  6. Mate.... I am far from Naive and I am certainly the last person to be an apologist for the present government. All I am saying is that those few mealy mouthed words could develop into a man if we give him the room to move.
  7. From naivete to wide-eyed optimism in one move. :D

This Minister has shown himself so detached from public opinion, military necessity and reality that I [irony]somehow doubt [/irony] whether he's up to the sort of sea-change CGS is looking for.
  8. Actually I am quite impressed. This is the first time I can recall of a government minister admitting mistakes while still in office. Good on him. If he tries to do the right thing I reckon our PM will sack him.
  9. Ainsworth: “They were out there in Iraq, they were out there in Afghanistan, they were doing hard yards and putting their lives on the line — and nobody back here was nearly as interested as they ought to have been.”

My bold. There were plenty of people sufficiently “interested”, just not the government.

However, trying to give the man a chance, I welcome (generally) what he’s said and hope his limited time in office is used to fight the Forces’ corner despite the opposition (by which I mean his own cabinet colleagues and party). We’ll see…
  10. A better man tried to fight our corner before him and got nowhere, why would Bob?

Give us televised mea cupla from Brown/Darling and we might be getting somewhere, until then this is news management by the government of an issue they are growing to fear - having woken up to the fact that they haven't 'changed' the British public quite as much as they thought..
  11. Merely a calculated move (probably calculated by No10's propaganda unit and dictated to the political unit in question, too) to impress the naive... :)
  12. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

No wonder they think they know what they are doing when people are so easily swayed. If you believe anything this second rate loser says you are an idiot. I'll bet 100 quid nothing changes, anyone want to take the bet, put your money on Bob Ainsworth?
  13. You are right, he should be given a chance to prove himself. He needs to be politically astute, able to blackmail and play the refined beggar to get more resources out of the government, rather than be a great war leader (those roles go to the PM and CGS). The army taught us all to work with what we had, unless it was obviously not enough, at which point speak up. Bob is what the MOD have at the moment, so those still serving will work with him, and if he flops, then they can depend on those of us who are out to speak up.
  14. How do you know that? I am not swayed by his words, but do believe that admitting to past mistakes might be an indication of better things to come. I will wait to see what actions happen before deciding.
  15. Aintworth must be regarded as Guilty until proven Innocent. :evil: