CGS interviewed on BBC1 @ 0900 Sunday

Has he been on yet, did I miss him?

Not yet. Interesting that Andrew Marr didn't mention him at the start of the programme, when he introduced all the other guests. I hope he wasn't gagged at the last minute.

Don

George Osborn has just been talking about Defence spending = separating the war in Afghanistan and the defense budget overall. Perhaps a decrease in overall defense spending then? Though he did say matching future commitments with capability, so it really depends on what the Tories envisage for the future.

Donny said:
Not yet. Interesting that Andrew Marr didn't mention him at the start of the programme, when he introduced all the other guests. I hope he wasn't gagged at the last minute.

Don
Andrew Marr is one of the most useless Tawts on TV, nothing more than a New Labour mouth piece, Can't see him doing anything contrervesial, Like telling the truth, and Mathew Paris, well, what can you say, A Military Genius and Oxy theif

Perhaps he had a heavy night on the p155 and rang in sick?

Listening to Patrick Hennassy and and Doug Beattie on R4 Pm in the week, it seems that former military guys seem better at elucidating the realities of the mission, than any of our current pliticos.

Beattie particularly mentioned that for every hour in contact there is 4 hours on CIMIC type activity.

The Prince of Darkness has left his sweaty prints all over this, Marr wouldn't have the balls to upset Mandy and Cyclops

spike7451 said:
Is it just me or is the Times journo a smug cnut talking outta his hoop?
Nope he is a throbber.

He seems to be propsing we do what we did in Iraq, which was perceived by journos and the US as down scaling in numbers and just guarding our own camps.

So we lose all credibility as an armed force.

As with NI, we can only get to the peace table when the Taliban, in this case, are no longer a viable force. We can only bargain from a position of power.

To do that we have to provide security for the average Afghan to have some stability and normality in life. We have to invest in building an infrastructure in the country, which is never going to be what we envisage in the west. As someone said, we may get Afghanistan to a level of modernisation similar to what Pakistan is in now, in 10 years or so.

We can only do this by fighting Terry and forcing him out of the populated areas. Addressing the problem with the Pakistan border, but that is more SF work and Pakistan army stuff.

With reference to more helicopters, that ex-Para officer summed it up, when he said they went on a mission and the first 3 loads of troops were on the ground for 45 minutes before the second wave arrived, as there were only 3 helicopters available

But i think we all know this on this site anyway.

Just before the website gets conveniently "edited" here is what it still said at 10:30

On the programme
Guests appearing on The Andrew Marr Show in 2009

Sunday 19 July 2009

General Sir Richard Dannatt
Alan Johnson MP, Home Secretary
George Osborne MP, Shadow Chancellor
Newspapers reviewed by Jane Moore, Columnist, The Sun; and Baroness Helena Kennedy, Lawyer and Labour Peer
another quiet weekend for the PM's Strategy Unit.... :wink:

Edited for Post Script By 11:18 the BBC AM websited had been edited to expunge the miscreant from the guest list

Crunchie said:
spike7451 said:
Nope he is a throbber.

He seems to be propsing we do what we did in Iraq, which was perceived by journos and the US as down scaling in numbers and just guarding our own camps.

So we lose all credibility as an armed force.

As with NI, we can only get to the peace table when the Taliban, in this case, are no longer a viable force. We can only bargain from a position of power.

To do that we have to provide security for the average Afghan to have some stability and normality in life. We have to invest in building an infrastructure in the country, which is never going to be what we envisage in the west. As someone said, we may get Afghanistan to a level of modernisation similar to what Pakistan is in now, in 10 years or so.

We can only do this by fighting Terry and forcing him out of the populated areas. Addressing the problem with the Pakistan border, but that is more SF work and Pakistan army stuff.

With reference to more helicopters, that ex-Para officer summed it up, when he said they went on a mission and the first 3 loads of troops were on the ground for 45 minutes before the second wave arrived, as there were only 3 helicopters available

But i think we all know this on this site anyway.
Agree. Parrish was so wrong it fecked up what could have been a useful debate. " Pull in our horns", "retrench", "less troops" etc. is just what we did in Basra. It was a disaster for the UK's international standing and wholly against the Army's ethos. The Iraqi/US surge succeeded where we were seen to fail.

johnboyzzz said:
spike7451 said:
Matthew Parris - another failed politician
For the love of God how is it possible to be a failed politician? How bad would someone have to be?