CGS and sideburns

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by goatbagthedruid, Dec 2, 2009.

?
  1. Yes - they will bring the Army down

55.0%
  2. Maybe - it shows the state of the organisation

45.0%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whilst reading this month's (December 2009) Soldier magazine, I read (on page 59) that CGS had been commenting (in a letter to the Army) on the length of sideburns.
    I believe that is is pretty irrelevant as I remember that QR's states that sideburns are not to descend below the mid point of the ear and are to be trimmed horizontally.
    It should not take the Head of the Army to point this out. Surely it should be done at unit level.... or are there more important things to worry about?

GBTD

2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

All general officers have a bug bear - looks like this could be his. No big story - unit RSMs to deal as always!

3. Is this for real? Blimey! You'd have thought the man would have more burning issues on his plate to tackle.....

However, Hurrumph hurrumph standards mumble mumble etc etc

4. CGS is right. Long sideburns will eventually lead to defeat in Afghanistan.

5. Hopefully, whilst he is in such a reflective mood, he might decree that those wearing a beret start to ensure that they are sported correctly, ie with the capbadge over the left eye and NOT above the left ear!

6. Who wears cap badges over the left ear then? Paras certainly don't any more. That's old school.

You are correct though. Incorrect wearing of berets will lead to the fall of the Government.

7. Ok - taking it on slightly, how about male soldiers are allowed long hair as long as they wear it up at work; in our modern era of equality and diversity?

/me ducks

8. has anyone actually found it on QRs as after asking a ALS senior chap he says its an illegal order and that it doesnt exist.

Could someone clarify it, before I spend my hard earned on hair nets.

9. Ah, remember the good old days when military debate was about serious issues, like "tapered" or "straight" hair at the neck?

10. Ah, remember the good old days when military debate was about serious issues, like "tapered" or "straight" hair at the neck?

11. CGS wrote to the Army just after he spoke on the issue to the RSMs' conference in hte early summer. I don't know whether he got a stiff ignoring from the RSMs but it certainly appears to have got his goat.

12. IIRC this was covered a while back in Soldier magazine and I seem to remember that QR's don't specifically mention sideburns.

May be wrong, these days I normally am.

Glad to see CGS is focusing on the important issues though. :roll:

13. For sideburns - QR's Chapter 5, Part 9, Para 5.366 a.(i)

I need to get out more! :oops:

GBTD

14. :)

15. QRs Para 5.366

a. Hair.

(1) Males. The hair of the head is to be kept well cut and trimmed, except where authority has been granted otherwise on religious grounds; style and colour (if not natural) is not to be of an exaggerated nature. If a moustache is worn, it is to be trimmed and not below the line of the lower lip. Beards and whiskers are only to be worn with authority, which will usually be granted only on medical or religious grounds, or where tradition permits. The appearance of the beard and whiskers is to be neat and tidy. Sideburns are not to descend below the mid point of the ear and are to be trimmed horizontally.

(2) Females. The hair is to be neat and worn above the collar. Combs, grips etc., if worn, are to be plain and similar in colour to thehair. Style and colour (if not natural) is not to be of an exaggerated nature.