CFTs (or whatever they're called now. Are Helmets and weapons included in the weight

Evening All

Yes, I know it's a super new site, but I can't find what was on here before. I know it was here, I know the question's been answered before, it's probably looking at me, but....

Simple question. For the purposes of performing the CFT, for any arm, is the weight of rifle, helmet and water-bottle included in the weight to be carried.

That's your lot.

Thanks

Old Rat

It’s currently called the AFT (this week)

From MATT 2:

Test Standards:

The load carried for the test (see Table 6 below) is inclusive of personal weapon and all ancillary items of equipment (helmet, Combat Body Armour (CBA) etc).

Dress and Equipment:

6 Dress for the AFT is boots, CS 95, PT vest/sweatshirt, combat jacket (dependent upon
weather), wearing Personal Load Carrying Equipment (PCLE), carrying personal weapon (SA80 or LSW).

7.The configuration of PCLE to be carried may be Combat Order, Assault Order or Bergen and is to be determined by local commanders.

8Personal equipment and weapons are to be carried by individuals throughout the test and are not to be shared amongst the group.

I did my CFT last week and it was 55lbs not including helmet, weapon and 1 bottle of water. However before we started the 2 pti's were debating wether it was or wasn't inlcuded so we just cracked on with what we had packed already.

The helmet and rifle are included in the weight but water is not. It's normally a case for me to put 15kg in my daysack/bergan and 6 kilos in my webbing and the then that leaves the rifle which is about 4 1\2 kgs.

IIRC I was always led to understand 'infantry weight' was 44lb + helmet & IW with attached arms is 24lb but that was a while back,

And for two PTI's not to know the proper official weights require pulled to the side for a refresh and wake up lesson!

The weight doesn't include the water - apparently in case some fly types tip it out to save a whole kilo.....
A few lads who were struggling on my CIC went down the shop and bought about 4-5 big 2 litre bottles of spar cheap and nasty orangade. got about 3 corners in, and with no PTIs looking, tipped the whole lot out into the road.

Lucky for them, we weren't weight checked at the end, they did well out of that.

I have to admit, I may have 'topped up' CFT weight on a few occasions with some disposable rocks.

IIRC I was always led to understand 'infantry weight' was 44lb + helmet & IW with attached arms is 24lb but that was a while back,

And for two PTI's not to know the proper official weights require pulled to the side for a refresh and wake up lesson!
Infantry, All Arms Para/Cdo trained personnel serving in Para/Cdo units, REME (Regt Spec only), SASC – 25Kg

H Cav, HAC, RAC, RA, RE – 20Kg

R SIGNALS, AAC, RAChD, RLC, RAMC, REME, AGC, RAVC, INT CORPS, QARANC, CA Mus, RADC – 15Kg

APTC personnel are to carry the load applicable to the Arm/Service to which they are attached

AFT should be a minimum wieght of Osprey, ammo, water, weapon and helmet for all. I guess that will be around 25-30Kg min. Its what we carry on Ops and we should get used to it. At least we wouldn't have to worry about 45+ degree heat...

AFT should be a minimum wieght of Osprey, ammo, water, weapon and helmet for all. I guess that will be around 25-30Kg min. Its what we carry on Ops and we should get used to it. At least we wouldn't have to worry about 45+ degree heat...
No, it shouldnt. The test is entirely relevant as it is.

A few lads who were struggling on my CIC went down the shop and bought about 4-5 big 2 litre bottles of spar cheap and nasty orangade. got about 3 corners in, and with no PTIs looking, tipped the whole lot out into the road.

Lucky for them, we weren't weight checked at the end, they did well out of that.

I have to admit, I may have 'topped up' CFT weight on a few occasions with some disposable rocks.

Block of ice thats what you need, or a giant leaking 15ltr water bladder

No, it shouldnt. The test is entirely relevant as it is.
Would you care to elaborate on that? I agree with WhiteHorse. The standards for the CFT require revisiting or at least there should be an extra test conducted in the training cycle leading to a deployment. That test should be based on weights carried in theatre.

Would you care to elaborate on that? I agree with WhiteHorse. The standards for the CFT require revisiting or at least there should be an extra test conducted in the training cycle leading to a deployment. That test should be based on weights carried in theatre.
But not everyone carries said weights or patrols or fixes and engages with the enemy. They never have nor ever will.
It is an annual fitness test to keep individuals up to the minimum required standards (Arm & Corps dependant).

You are correct. Pre deployment training CT1 through to CT5 will/should prepare soldiers for their specific roles both physically and mentally dependant on the job they are deploying to do.

cft's should be a joke for any light role infantryman, unless you do them in brecon or somewhere like that then 8 miles in 2 hours is nothing, if you ask me the weight should be 80lbs then it would actually be a decent test

cft's should be a joke for any light role infantryman, unless you do them in brecon or somewhere like that then 8 miles in 2 hours is nothing, if you ask me the weight should be 80lbs then it would actually be a decent test
No one was asking you, so shut the **** up and get the brews on.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Tartan_Terrier Health and Fitness 3
F Army Reserve 35
Cymru_am_Byth Army Reserve 59