CFTs and age..

One for the Muscle Busters..

Whats the score with the age bar to CFTs?

I know that the >50 coffin dodgers aren't allowed to do a CFT unless warned off for Ops - but what about "tagging along" for the route, coincidentally carrying the same weight?

TIA

BB

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
An over 50 died while doing some PT - therefore blanket ban. Thats my understanding anyway

Its not a blanket ban; you can do CFTs if warned off for Ops.

Youngsters die on CFTs too; on saturday I drove past the spot where, some years ago, a 17 Y-O died of a heart attack while doing a CFT. The vehicle driver was there at the time.

Whats the score with the age bar to CFTs?

I know that the >50 coffin dodgers aren't allowed to do a CFT unless warned off for Ops - but what about "tagging along" for the route, coincidentally carrying the same weight?
Assuming that you are of an higher rank than the PTI then by 'tagging along' you are putting them in an invidious position, undermining their authority, and should show a greater sense of understanding of the 'rules'.

At least if you snuff it, you won't have to deal with the administrative fallout.

As mentioned over 50's are except the AFT ( formally known as the CFT). All those that need to conduct them a medical and build up programme prior to testing.

mso makes a very good point. If you really want to do it for fitness reasons get your kit together and take yourself off with another "oldie" away from the group. The last thing the PTI needs is someone obviously flouting the rules in front of the squad. On a personal note I am not looking forward in any way shape or form to doing it next month because at my advanced age I know it's going to hurt.

Assuming that you are of an higher rank than the PTI then by 'tagging along' you are putting them in an invidious position, undermining their authority, and should show a greater sense of understanding of the 'rules'.

At least if you snuff it, you won't have to deal with the administrative fallout.
I agree fully - I'm aware of exactly that, and agree with it. My lot did a rather cheeky CFT in Brecon on Sunday, and there where some senior ( 50+) gentlemen with a six-digit Army Number who, as you say, tagged along.

I can fully appreciate the leadership / example this shows, but if they'd tipped over, the PTIs - very good lads, btw - would have been, as you rightly say -in an invidious position...

FWIW, and to prevent the obvious, my last PFA score was 278.

and there where some senior ( 50+) gentlemen with a six-digit Army Number who, as you say, tagged along.
Then a man of your position should have had the wherewithal to have a quiet word.

Then a quiet word in his boss's ear would not go amiss...

ACAB

On ROPS
On ROPs
Its not a blanket ban; you can do CFTs if warned off for Ops.

Youngsters die on CFTs too; on saturday I drove past the spot where, some years ago, a 17 Y-O died of a heart attack while doing a CFT. The vehicle driver was there at the time.
My last HERRICK outing as a Contractor ended in May last year. I was informed that Servicemen over 50 were not allowed on 'Combat Roles' in theatre.

The rules for cft's are there for a reason - health and safety.
The officer concerned who made the decision would not accept responsibility or accountability if something did happen by blaming the PTI's. The PTI runs the show and should have insisted you do not take part.
The officer concerned has given tacit approval to health and safety breaches, and it would be interesting to see him squirm in a witness box if something did happen to an over 50 and they faced criminal charges.

With PFAs and AFTs (CFTs), 45 is a more realistic age to call it a day - the whole system needs an overhaul. There is no sense in using over 45s in combat roles.

Think you're missing the point, Y_S - a L/Cpl running the CFT is going to have a hard job if a Major insists on coming along, regardless of who is deemed to be in control.

Thats why I started the thread - I'm trying to get the definitive answer, ideally with source.

B_B

I would imagine that as long as the risk assessment is clear, and the 'O' 50 has been advised he should have completed the build up and is not required to complete the AFT, the PTI is covered.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Tartan_Terrier Health and Fitness 3
F Army Reserve 35
Cymru_am_Byth Army Reserve 59