CFT Training

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by pvthell, Dec 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, need some help...

I've always struggled with my CFT's i hate 'em, but now i've got a tour looming so it's time to pull my balls out and get it done.
    So i was just once a week going to do a lovely forced march with the pooch. :puker:
    So how fast should it be?
    How far is it? (see how long its been since i've done one!)
    Whats the weight needed? :strong:

Anything else i've missed? (no smart arse answers)

2. How fast and what weight did you have to do for your last CFT?
  3. Depends what cap badge you are, I think its 6 or 8 miles and weight varies quite a lot... ask your PSI?
  4. With a tour looming you need to be able to complete the full 8 mile CFT (2hrs), weights already stated are correct.
  5. Cheers lads
  6. msr

msr LE

This is from the MATTs pdf:

1 All Arms Para/Cdo trained personnel serving in Para/Cdo units. RLC (Pioneer only) - REME (Regt Spec only). SASC. 25kg

2 H Cav - RAC - RA - RE 20kg

7. Realistically it should be one weight & distance for the CFT. We had loads of guys attached to us on tour from sigs/rlc/aac who all had to patrol carrying 30kg plus. With Afghanistan the main theatre these days, and the primary method of movement being the issue Lowa, the standards need to be upped to meet this.
  8. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

What, did you leave some kit behind? :wink:
  9. lol, that was being kind. Carrying Blue, UGL plus full scales was never fun
  10. Meindl?
  11. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

You get a choice at Chilwell these days. Well, depending on availability in your size. You can opt for the Lowa, Mendl or Magnum.
  12. Simply? Learn to walk again. That isn't a pisstake answer, I'm serious. Look at the techniques used by speedwalkers, and go out and practice.

Start without weight, keep your body upright, keep your head up and look ahead at all times, suck your stomach in to help support the base of your spine. Swing your arms,to keep the air pumping in, and to help provide drive. Don't clench your fists, just keep them loose and keep your shoulders up.

When walking, use the whole foot, heel first , roll through the foot and drive off with the toes. Do NOT overstetch your stride. You'll tire easily, start footslapping, lose rhythm, including breathing and then the whole thing falls apart leading to getting ragged>>out of touch>>dropping behind exhausted>>Biff Bus.

The key is foot turnover, keep your strides short and powerful, using the whole foot, drive off with the foot behind you, and concentrate on getting more steps down per second as it were. You'll know you're getting there when the PTI tells you to "slow the fcuk down" :D

Keep strides short , (Front foot just ahead of the hips, don't stretch/overreach) , drive off as the foot passes under the hips. Open your stride going uphill, and keep the turnover per second going, and keep those arms swinging.

The pace is just over 4 miles per hour , It can be done marching it out. I've done CFT's with regular PTI's , who go spare if the group starts to run or does the concertina thing. You will run when they want you to, and that's normally for a spot of leg stretching over 100m bursts.

Conversely I've done CFT's with TA PTI's who have been just w*nk. You'll know you've done a good CFT, when you feel warmed up and pretty bloody good afterwards, not staggering in like the last survivor from Iswandahala.

Before you put 1kg of weight on your back, go and re-learn how to march fast properly first, then start to add weight, start off with a Mile, twice to 3 times a day, just get that technique perfected, then put the weight on.

Remember, whatever you are using to carry weight when you train, is sitting as high up your back as you can get it.

Well that's my advice anyway , good luck :)
  13. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

And exactly the opposite of that suggested by most who know what they are doing when it comes to the points on stride length.

On the flat, concentrate on opening your stride. You then cover the ground at a comfortable pace, and getting in step with the pack helps to keep the rhythm. Whenever doubling, short stepped shuffle, only lifting feet as far off the ground as you need to - no high stepping required.

Up hill, shorten the stride but increase the step frequency and attack the hill.

There endeth the tabbing lesson.
  14. do female medics attached to the infantry carry the arms weight of 25kg or the RAMC weight of 15kg?