CFT training

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by polar69, Feb 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok so I'm in training for a course, I'm mixing up my usual training regime and throwing some practice CFT's in there. Going on the theory that I stand a good chance of been one of the oldest on the course, time spent in training is never wasted etc. Now my question is - how come if I carry the weight as "dead Weight" ie a bag of sand, it seems to weigh more than if I carry useful kit ie Helmets, spare clothing, water, etc.

Is it psychological or is there an element of physics involved.

Yes I do have nothing better to think about on a Friday night

2. Dead weight is just that mate, dead weight. If you think of a 25 kilo bag of sand and go to lift it, it will be bloody heavy. But stick 25 kilo of gear into a bin bag and you will see it is still heavy but a hell of a lot more manageable.

Plus the weight is spread out over a larger area therefore not loaded on the bottom of your lower back.

3. I tend to use normal kit with a couple of house bricks to make the weight. I place them towards the top, that works best for me.

4. In terms of simple physics (the lever principle), you ideally want the load to be small in volume and as close to your back as possible.

The higher the load and the further away from your back, the less stable you will be (as the bergen will exert more leverage).

The lower the load and the closer to your back, the more stable you will be (as the bergen will exert less leverage), therefore put the heavier gear against the spine of the bergen and then fill the gap with a dossbag and then tighten the bergen to make as small a volume as possible.

If you need over 15kg you are best advised to make up the weight with waterbottles and/or sandbags - packed along the spine of the bergen, which contains malleable metal strips to help transfer the load onto your shoulders, back and hips.

Do some press-ups and sit-ups as well, your chest and abdominals contract to counter-balance the weight on your back.

If you're as bored as I am (I'm on duty :( ) here is a cracking read on the effects of load on postural sway http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA433549&Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf

5. I have seen Sherpas carrying loads high up on there backs though..as almost on the shoulder line.

I know some backpackers push their Bergens higher up as well, above the middle of the spine.

I only tab 2 or 3 times a year really so I am not criticising anyones technique just wondering about those that carry a load for a living...

6. Porter loads are supported by the hips and a head-band, which transfer the load down their neck/spine, similar to balancing something on top of your head (no leverage as the weight is directly above your centre of gravity).

Bergens with shoulder straps, waist belts and frames transfer the load from behind onto the shoulders, back and hips, so the principle is still to to keep the load as close to the centre of gravity as possible. Either that or do it himalayan style on top of your noggin :? :D

A trekking porter will only carry about 25-30kg, compared to a local porter who will try and max-out on 40-50kg+ to get paid well, don't know how they manage it to be honest 8O

7. I think it is bollocks about putting the weight near the bottom of your Bergen. I did that once, and it just turned into a pendulum and gave me a very sore lower back. I find water bottles in my daysack with the bottom padded out with a jungle sleeping bag and some other random crap with bottles in the side pouches and on top of the lower padding works well.

8. That study I linked earlier came to the same conclusion: As the pack load weight position moved from high and close to low and away from the body, center of pressure excursions continued to increase and the rucksack became quite difficult for a load carrier to control precisely. This study demonstrated that an increase in load weight and a change in rucksack weight position changes both the individual’s postural sway and the structure of the sway.

I wonder how much money could have been saved if they'd simply asked on here first instead :? :D

9. That can't be right..25KG is 25KG. If you can lift 25KG of kit it's just as easy to lift 25KG of water or sand or feathers.

It's physics. Obviously I am glossing over the ability to get a handhold/grip etc.

Dead weight is the same as 'weight'.

10. You're right REMFQ, but what's easier to pick up: a 25kg kettlebell or a 25kg MFO box?

Whatever you are carrying, you will carry it more efficiently by carrying it as close to your body centre of gravity as possible.

11. Training for a CFT? just me who thinks this is odd? is the very basic of fitness not enough to pass one now then?

12. I use normal kit, with the odd weight (small weights not ferk off dumb bells) wrapped in a towel and placed middlish of bergan.

I was also taught to carry the weight as high up as possible as you are inclined to lean forward into the straps, so the weight should be between the shoulder blades. I have no problem with this and have ran with 80+ lbs before, my own bergan and someone elses clansman man pack radio strapped to the top as he had jacked. The lower down the weight the more likely it is to pull your shoulders back and place pressure on your lower spine. Depends what weight you are talking.

I think it is personal preference, try different loads and vary were the majority of the weight is to see what is more comfy. Just ensure the pack is as tight as possible against your back, without cutting the circulation to your arms. Also helps find where you are likely to rub.

Also try not train too often with weight, does you no good you know. Normal endurance runs, press ups sit ups etc will build stamina and upper body strength.

Its all a mind thing. But if you can square you load away before hand so it is as comfortable as you can get it, it is one less thing to think about.

All the best on your course.

13. It is an annual test, therefore one time each year it is done under test conditions and recorded on JPA, the other times it is 'training' and not a 'test'

14. Call it an endurance run with weight and you don't even have to stick to the girly 15 minute miles either.

Yes it is a basic test, but no harm in training for it and no ridicule for those who feel they need to train for it, better than tipping up and jacking.

Also 8 miles around Larkhill isn't the same as 8 miles over Perham Down trg area, or Tidworth with Sidbury and Engineers hill thrown in, or Brecon.

To be honest i never train for a CFT, but as most reg units do 'green PT' at least once a week we are used to running in boots and with weight.

I believe Polar is TA, so possibly doesn't train as often with boots and weight on. Apologies if i am wrong.

15. Forgive me, My unit did one a month as standard, so to "train" for a CFT to me, is just a TA type load of shite.

Why train to pass what to me is a very basic fitness test?

8 miles in 2 hours? I could walk that now ffs.