CFT training

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by merriman, Jan 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I used the search function but couldn't find any similar posts... anywho...

I'm currently going through my TA training, now after all the abuse I get is over I need some pointers on how to train for my 8 miler.

I do a run which is nearly 9 miles long and its rather hilly the only problem is that I finish the run with weight (15 kg) in around 1hr 40 mins, I give myself quite a hard warm up before I start. Running on the spot, press ups, sit ups, and the usual stretches.

I have to complete the run in 2 hours and im coming in way ahead of the mark am I doing something wrong? I just want to make sure I'm training correctly so when I attempt the run in March I know what to expect.

Cheers

Merriman

*Edited for mong spelling*

2. The CFT's a TAB , not a run mate. You'll be walking, honest. Sounds like you're already fit enough.

3. can anyone supply the pre training requirements prior to the actual CFT. Is there a compulsory training prior to the CFT?

I am not after the normal remark its your fitness mate blah blah..... I am after the official traing regimen and advice. This is to prevent guys getting injured unnessarilary.

4. TA wise, im pretty sure that the only pre-requisite is to have completed the Risk Reduction Run, ie the 1.5 miler in under 14 minutes. From what I know, if you're in uniform and you don't have a sick chit, then you are presumed to be fit enough to attempt the CFT.

I prepare to be corrected by someone officially in the know.

Prae.

5. cheers prae took me five minutes to read your post, four minutes staring at your avatar, 1 minute to read the text.

6. I did the CFT on CIC last month before christmas. You'll be fine.
    Might be an idea to stop running and up the weight a bit though. Find some hills as you'll be getting a few of those when you do CIC.

7. What? he wrote something?... where I can't see it between those.... *dribble dribble*

8. If you’re going inf up the weight to 25kgs or combat sup its 20kg check with your unit if you’re not sure,
    there is a warm up.... or should be which is the normal run around my beautiful body x amount of times side stepping arm rolling getting you nice and warm for the 8 miler, make sure you pratice in boots as it does make a difference, running in trainers then tabbing in boots are totaly different things,

9. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

IIRC, there should be a few light marches to get the bodies used to it. 2/4/6 milers with increasing weights.

But there is a problem there, your bergan's about 10KG too light!

10. As I'm RSigs its 15KG but I'll give 20KG a go and see how I get on, and yes I've been running in boots.

Cheers! :D

11. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Then stop it - you'll hurt yourself! The 8 miler is conducted in just under 2 hours, so approximately 15 minutes per mile pace. This equates to a brisk walk, with the odd bit of doubling to ease the legs off and change the muscle groups being used most heavily.

If you want to see if you are prepared, get your bergan to the correct weight and walk 8 miles in two hours. You will find that you are probably plenty fit enough for the country walk already.

12. Right ok then, up the weight and pace myself to 15 minute miles.

Cheers!

13. I find that the most difficult bit is the pace. I reckon it's easier to jog than to march at the pace ours are conducted at. Of course we all have to take our watches off so we never know what pace we are really doing. :Roll:

14. Ah yes, but the world would end if heaven forbid we fall over and draw blood because of our watches 8O

15. I don't think you are required to take a watch off due to the danger of wearing one, but on events where your are timed you could check yourself and cruise in if you are ahead of time.

Not quite as relevant on a squaded march but similar logic probably applies.