Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by lilylow11, Feb 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. First off, i'm a real shortie and i find CFT TA too overwhelming. I cannot increase my stride enough to keep up the pace and find that i have to break into jogging within a minute of starting. Can anyone give any tips on lengthening my stride?
  2. Practice opening your legs wide, this will also have the added advantage of making you very popular with the lads.

Hope this helps.

3. Get longer legs :dwarf:

No seriously, when I was doing the Reg CFT I had the same problem. I found it easier to stay on one of the outer ranks toward the rear and take quicker smaller steps - make sure that you give others enough space as you'll have to break stride with this method.
  4. I am also short and have this problem, it is just a case of biting the bullet for a couple of miles IMHO jsut try to exsarate your stride in your normal walking where ever possiable.
  5. try and get up front, were the pace is steady

at the back, all you'll do is run the distance at the back of an elastic snake
  6. Sarastro

Sarastro LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

There's a RGJ Cpt. (now Rifles I suppose) at Westbury who wasn't more than 5ft TomCruise inches, and he could march like the bloody clappers, easily outpaced all of us behind him with legs twice as long. So it can be done, somehow!
  7. I have the same problem, its a f**kin b@stard! But I have just decided I will have to live with it unless you can get your legs stretched you have no choice. The only thing you can do as Bedpan2zero said is get right up the front it's the best place to be for short arrses.
  8. Agreed with the above. Get yourself to the front. Without question it is the best place to be. At least you won't end up running to catch up with the rest of the squad.
  9. Being a bit of a drag arrse myself I find the best place for me is near the front where the pace is steady but not right at the front where my invisible string tactic doesn't work. Did the TA-CFT yesterday and passed without any major dramas (although blowing out of my arrse going up the first hill, Hameln say no more) :D
  10. Did the 6 miler yesterday and I enjoyed it loads more than the 4-miler. Get used to marching with weight on your back and it'll get easier.

On another note, you'll all be pleased to know I got 8.51 on the PFT run. A PB no less!
  11. I have the same problem. I'm 5'6 and have very short legs. The best place would be in the 2nd rank away from the PTI as they really dont like people doubling during the CFT (that is until you hear the dreaded "prepeare to DOUBLE....). Does any one else hear peope who incidently are about 6" tall say to you " Its easy, just open your legs and stride it out"? Dont you just feel like knocking ten bells out of them??? Perhaps the best people to ask for advice would be the Gurkhas? average height - 5'5 i think and they dont seem to be troubled by the CFT.
  12. Thats true....but they're all fit as fuck!

Look at it this way, if every recruit had to sit the Army's GURKHA entrance test, how many would get in in the first place?

Thats why they have no problems with the CFT.
  13. Ah, the Brecon Shuffle....
  14. well i'm 6 ft and utter crap at them think the answer is just practisce.
    Often find the pace either two slow to run but too fast to march too .
    my ambition is to be fit enough to be grey man in the middle.
  15. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Back in the glorious days of The_Duke being an "A" MFC, my bravo was all of 5' and a fag end to my 6' plus.

The result was a hilarious double act of me striding out while he jogged along beside me. Good job he was as fit as fcuk!