CFT Packing Trouble

Im currently coming into week 12, and going into next week's CFT, I'm Having a little trouble trying to pack my burgen to get the correct weight for CFT which is 20K. Does anyone know what I should pack?

It has to only be military kit.

Regards
Week 12 crow. :twisted:

maggot wrapped around some weights. Just make sure you make the back comfortable and get the weight as high and as close to your back as you can.

Ask around the block, I'm sure you're not the only one who's going to be doing it. How much does your current set up weigh?

Im not too sure paal, but we did our 1st proper Tab the other week, without weighing our bergen's and the PTI said it was well over weight...
if i was to pack 9x2 Litre bottles of water plus the sleeping bag i wouldnt be far off would I? hope not anyway, and is it true that 1 litre of water weights 1 kilo?

Pal1984 said:
Im not too sure paal, but we did our 1st proper Tab the other week, without weighing our bergen's and the PTI said it was well over weight...
if i was to pack 9x2 Litre bottles of water plus the sleeping bag i wouldnt be far off would I? hope not anyway, and is it true that 1 litre of water weights 1 kilo?
At room temperature water has a density of 0.998 g/cm3, so yes, one litre weighs one kilogram.

Send someone to a hardware shop to get one of those sprung mass hangers for you to measure your kit's weight accurately. Remember that if you include your drinking water in the total, then you'll be a few kg underweight at the end.

Best of luck mate.

Edited for dopeyness

Wikipedia = "litre of WATER at 4°C has a MASS of 1Kg. Weight is dependent on gravity".

PS I always find that once one of your mates has weighed in, if you sneek his new boogie box, all singing all dancing iron or other such Gucci, but heavy kit into his bergen, repackage as before and tell him half way around the CFT, it goes down a royal treat!

He will thank you for it, really :D

PoGs
www.pocketcomms.co.uk

thanks pal, much appreciated. this website is quite useful. only joined yesterday lol.
ill get hold of one of them hangers if ill need one, no doubt ill be using it more than once :)

POGscribbler said:
Wikipedia = "litre of WATER at 4°C has a MASS of 1Kg. Weight is dependent on gravity".
The earth's gravitational field is unlikely to change during the course of a CFT, so points for being a physics pedant, but don't confuse the poor lad further.

We'll be discussing the viscosity of air next ;)

Now with my sensible PTI head on, any good PTI will encourage 2 things

1. You drink at least 2 litres of water during the test (or more dependent on heat, humidity etc ) so they will not count that water as part of the weigh in process.

2.Provide scales the evening before or in good time prior to the test to allow packing and repacking to get the correct weight. A quick random weigh in prior to the test (and occasionally after) will then take place to ensure that the correct weight is being carried and that no-one is carrying more than the should or need to be.

Packing advice would be to pack the heaviest items high in the Bergan/daysacks, ensure that nothing is likely to move around as you run/march and that all the straps and belts are set to be as comfortable and supportive as possible.

Any water carried in bottles to make up weight should be full completely to the neck of the bottles (2ltr coke bottles for example) so as not to slosh around putting extra strain on the back. My advice would be to follow the Instructors instructions and use only Mil Kit as that is what the Combat Fitness Test is designed to emulate, i.e. a march into battle. Sand/earth/rubble in plastic bags or sandbags is acceptable to simulate ammunition etc but be aware that it needs to be well padded

hope that helps matey

PoGs

www.pocketcomms.co.uk

Bravo_Zulu said:
Pal1984 said:
At room temperature water has a density of 0.998 g/cm3, so yes, one litre weighs one kilogram.

Send someone to a hardware shop to get one of those sprung mass hangers for you to measure your kit's weight accurately. Remember that if you include your drinking water in the total, then you'll be a few kg underweight at the end.

Best of luck mate.

Edited for dopeyness
If you have to do this, then your Sect Comd is being a sod. Ask him for a set of scales, guaranteed either he or the Pl Sgt has some which he can lend you.

in_the_cheapseats said:
...and get the weight as high and as close to your back as you can..
Can this be confirmed about the weight being as high as possible please?

I thought that the weight was meant to be as low as possible to create a lower centre of gravity and therefore a more stable bergen?

techy08 said:
in_the_cheapseats said:
...and get the weight as high and as close to your back as you can..
Can this be confirmed about the weight being as high as possible please?

I thought that the weight was meant to be as low as possible to create a lower centre of gravity and therefore a more stable bergen?
Keep the weight high as already stated mate

Hey Everyone, THANKYOU all so much for helping me out with the packing of a Bergen for CFT...

I have finally got hold of a set of scales, and managed to weigh the correct amount...

so i'm going to put the list of what i packed to get 45lbs (20 Kilo) in case anyone else needs it.

1: Bergen (no side pouches)
2: Small + Large Mess Tin
3: Poncho
4: Webbing with Rifle cleaning kit and 4 empty Magazines
5: Helmet
6: Respirator, Canister and sack
7: Bivvi Bag
8: Sleeping Bag (standard issue)
9: 6 Litre's of water

Once again Thankyou to everyone who gave advice. there is some very informative advice too lol. and thankyou for also mentioning how to pack a Bergan with weight positioning...

I look forward to becoming a Royal Engineer!

good luck for the rest of everyones career.

:)

We had to do a CFT a few months ago. One of the guys was a bit short on weight so I offered him a slab of John Smiths that he wrapped in a few blankets.

Sadly a few of the tins burst on the way round so he had bitter dripping into the crack of his arse for about two thirds of the way.

Of course the funny things were
a/ he failed
b/ I charged him for the broken tins.

Bar £3, Sapper minus £1500 (TA bounty for an ex reg).

CFT weight is 25kg for Infantry etc - including personal weapon & helmet - so the weight you indicate is a bit... ahem... perahps a PTI could confirm?

Pal1984 said:
Hey Everyone, THANKYOU all so much for helping me out with the packing of a Bergen for CFT...

I have finally got hold of a set of scales, and managed to weigh the correct amount...

so i'm going to put the list of what i packed to get 45lbs (20 Kilo) in case anyone else needs it.

1: Bergen (no side pouches)
2: Small + Large Mess Tin
3: Poncho
4: Webbing with Rifle cleaning kit and 4 empty Magazines
5: Helmet
6: Respirator, Canister and sack
7: Bivvi Bag
8: Sleeping Bag (standard issue)
9: 6 Litre's of water

Once again Thankyou to everyone who gave advice. there is some very informative advice too lol. and thankyou for also mentioning how to pack a Bergan with weight positioning...

I look forward to becoming a Royal Engineer!

good luck for the rest of everyones career.

:)
wow...showing my age, totally different way of living , and good for you. We used to train to have that kind of weight on our webbing, in case we lost our large packs.

It was meant to include food (24), all the NBC bollix we had to carry, ammunition, wash and booot kit, water, basha kit, blah blah, i.e, all the kind of stuff you need to live for a day or two if you loose your large-pack/bergen.

I can't honestly remember the weight, but we used to carry all that stuff(other than maggot) on our belt-kit.

Which was kind of cool, because it taught us to never loose our webbing, and only put "luxuries" (such as sleeping bags)into our bergens.

It also was'nt cool, because being infantry, and having taugt us how to keep essential kit around the waist, and keep plenty of spare room in the bergen, when there was a big EX on, the bergens got filled with lots of link, ball, mortar rounds etc.

One of the great tricks of the time was to stuff rocks into the respirator pouch, and dump it later, but the PTIs are eagle-eyed.

A friend of mine is a Sapper in Helmand at the moment, and It is very comforting that young blokes like you want to join the CRE.

I wish you luck, and feel sure that you will become an excellent Sapper.

Bravo_Bravo said:
CFT weight is 25kg for Infantry etc - including personal weapon & helmet - so the weight you indicate is a bit... ahem... perahps a PTI could confirm?
Not a PTI... but the weight for RE is 20kg including weapon and helmet (helmet can go in the bergan).

For my weights, I had four plastic sacks each containing 3.5 kg of dry sand. The sand was spread evenly at the bottom of each sack, then the sack was tightly rolled up, gaffer tape being used to create shape-retaining but malleable "sausages".

The "sausages" were put in the frame compartment of the bergan, two vertical and the other two laid horizontally on top. The two vertical ones moulded to the shape of my back, keeping the load as close to me as possible and preventing chafing against my spine, while the other two came up to about shoulder height - the best height for carrying. The frame compartment doesn't have a lot of room to spare, so there's less risk of the load shifting during the stroll.

I stuffed a civvy Camelbak into the lid of the bergan and adjusted the amount of water in this to bring the weight spot on, according to the temperament of the SQMS's scales on the day. Sometimes this was fine, sometimes I had to add a full water bottle - occasionally two (the scales have seen better days).

Once the mandatory helmet was in the bergan, bungees were used to make the whole issue tight and as narrow as possible - a helmet rolling about at the base of your spine is only suffered once. With regard to the helmet, I fastened the draw cord at the top of the bergan to form a nest for the helmet and held it in place with the bergan lid. This keeps it stationary - plus the rim bears on the "sausages," preventing it from digging into my back.

DO NOT, I say again, DO NOT, use a large jar of pickled onions for weight, no matter how tempting it is to munch on one at the 4 mile water stop.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ted Bear The Intelligence Cell 61
C Army Reserve 14
Bravo_Bravo AGC, RAPTC and SASC 29