CFT morning nutrition

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Flash_Eliminator, Jan 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've got a CFT coming up soon and it's bound to be in the morning, but, I'm rubbish for eating on a morning.

I've done plenty of CFT's in my time, but we only do about 1 per year unless you have a course with one incorporated. You'd think by now, being an adult I'd have figured out a morning meal that's well balanced enough to get me through and I usually snack to keep going through to lunch, but I don't think this will cut it for a CFT.

Last time I had the standard Army breakfast and I felt like it was coming back up the whole way round!

Anyone got any good healthy ideas?

2. 2 tabs and a brew. It's only 8 mile.

Sensible suggestion - toast and cereal or porridge

• Like Like x 1
  3. and fluids the night before, hydration...

4. wedge_cadman

wedge_cadman War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

Everyone is different, what works for one won't work for another.. fried breaky makes me barf on a good day.
    Try muesli/granola type cereal with yoghurt instead of milk, or cereal bars. It works for me. Also think about your Hydration. In the past I've used the maximuscle Viper active before and during exercise..

5. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Preparation is essential:

A skin full of Guinness and a kebab the night before, making sure you get to bed several hours after you intended to having just "popped out for a quick pint".

In the morning of the event, make sure you get up late, slashing your throat with your razor as you shave bleary eyed. Gulp down a full fry (exta beans) and several mugs of stewed sweet tea for hydration. Search desperately for the crushed, white, flaky Mars Bar that you know is hidden somewhere in your kit ready to gulp down at a water stop.

Then take a very large dose of man the **** up and enjoy your nice walk in the countryside.

• Like Like x 24
  6. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Notwithstanding that some showboaters on this site thinks she's a wimp, the fastest female runner on the planet over 26 miles swears by porridge with a dab of honey in it as preparation. ( a number of the wimpy Arrse Marathon/Ultra runners on this site have also tried it - and it works) .

The science behind this revolves around slow-release energy rather than fast burn sugary foods

q.v 'Glycaemic Index and Exercise ' Compeat: Carbohydrates? They aren't that simple!

years ago, I was told that when the Royal Marines complete their '30 miler' across Dartmoor in <8 hrs, they are made to eat an Oggie half way round.....not sure if this is true or not but it makes sense .

Anecdotal: On a shorter distance I' ve run 10K (6 miles ) having snarfed a Sausage and Egg McMuffin (550 cal) an hour beforehand - and felt terrible ....and done the same race on a bowl of porridge and a banana and been fine ....whatever works for you I guess.

Nice to see the 'all you need is testosterone and a positive mental attitude ' brigade having their two pennyworth....they'll be the ones climbing on the biff wagon half way round
    ( and going down with heat stroke on Ops and short-touring because they are A) legendary hardmen B) haven't taken onboard what they've been told....)

7. Bananas,
    and a fag at the half way point,
    never failed

8. Duke do you know me?? I've done that before. For some reason that knocks at least a minute off my PFT time, but a CFT in that situation is never enjoyable.

I think I'll give a few practise runs this week with some of these suggestions, but there's no way I'd get through it without eating. My civvie job is in an Office and sometimes I'll get stuck fixing a fault and before I know it the clock says 1400 and I'll have clean forgotten about lunch. I'll stand up and fall like a girl all dizzy back in my chair. It runs in my family, I've been checked for Diabetes etc... they don't know what causes it.

9. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

To add into the mix - it is supposed to be a representative Combat Fitness Test, not a stand alone sporting event.

Why not go crazy and make sure you can do it after a gently wamed boil in the bag of beans and sausages, a couple of biscuits brown and a brew of ration pack tea? Or are you planning on putting an indent in to the CQMS for special dietary requirements before you are willing to pick up your kit and move by foot on exercise or operations?

• Like Like x 4
  10. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

It is a technique I have perfected over the years, although I admit that age is catching up and I can no longer go from bar to start line anymore. I have become more sensible and try to stick to no more than a few pints.

It really isn't an ultra fitness event, and as long as you have had a reasonable amount of food that does not upset your stomach too much, it is really up to you what you have. Other peoples opinions are merely that, and we all know a phrase about opinions...

11. Mmmm biscuit browns... I don't think I've eaten a rat pack in years!

12. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

That explains a lot!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, particularly before arduous training, that's why I recommend the isotonic combination of.....

[​IMG][​IMG]

....Faxe beer and cold kebabs (fresh, bought on the way home from the boozer), suplemented of course by five Park Drive (the true breakfast of champions)!

[​IMG]

14. At least 15 bottles of herfy the night before, and polish off the doppel currywurst mit pommes und mayo that should be congealing on the radiator in your room in the morning, worked for me.

15. Ha - I know that feeling!

I remember as a fresh-faced 19 year old OCdt, doing my Nijnmegen march preparation in an almost permanent state of intoxication or hangover. Which was lucky, as the marches themselves were nothing but a giant piss-up with some walking thrown in between!

My mate and I were the only 'Army' (if you can call UOTC that) types on our team - the rest being 'orrible RAF UAS cadets and POs. They were utterly disgusted when we stopped the minibus en-route to the final qualifying march to pick up a slab of lager from the NAAFI...how we laughed when they started to fall behind halfway round.