CFAV Fitness Motivation/Challenge

Smelly_Tiger

Clanker
As part of a county-wide initiative to get our Cadets more into fitness and healthy living, I've suggested a Phys competition for Staff to our CTO and been told to write up a plan for it. Although there is Physical Rec in the APC syllabus and cadets are held to fitness standards, there is nothing for Instructors. Now, I'm not saying the ACF should adopt the APFT and everyone should start having to run sub-11 minute 1.5 milers, but I think there should be some way for CFAVs to act as an example for the Cadets to look up to and follow - as CFAVs should be in all subjects. "To Inspire, To Achieve" and all that.

I'm proposing we run a 'CFAV Challenge' on our Annual Camp this year, military themed but not set to military standards or restricted times - something that Adults participate in and Cadets support, based around their Companies.

The rough plan I had in mind involved each Coy entering up to four Staff with the competition based around points - I'm iffy on events but I was thinking of it centering around a run (possibly in boots) for which Cadets can line the route and support Staff from their Coys (which is the bit that makes it an example for the kids) and some strength events (Jerry can runs, maybe incorporate some Obstacle Course elements). Awards are presented for best individual and best Company team, and are held until the next Annual Camp.

Anyone got any thoughts/event suggestions/format ideas? This would not be compulsory but on a voluntary basis as I'm aware a good number would not want to or couldn't partake, but I thought this could be a good way to inspire some healthy competition among staff and between Coys, promote a bit of fitness in staff ranks and inspire some of the Cadets to get fitter themselves.

I believe that this whole thing could be run by anyone with an OCS qual - which I'm due to do next month - but if not, does anyone know what kind of staff support and planning this would need?

Cheers all.

As part of a county-wide initiative to get our Cadets more into fitness and healthy living, I've suggested a Phys competition for Staff to our CTO and been told to write up a plan for it. Although there is Physical Rec in the APC syllabus and cadets are held to fitness standards, there is nothing for Instructors. Now, I'm not saying the ACF should adopt the APFT and everyone should start having to run sub-11 minute 1.5 milers, but I think there should be some way for CFAVs to act as an example for the Cadets to look up to and follow - as CFAVs should be in all subjects. "To Inspire, To Achieve" and all that.

I'm proposing we run a 'CFAV Challenge' on our Annual Camp this year, military themed but not set to military standards or restricted times - something that Adults participate in and Cadets support, based around their Companies.

The rough plan I had in mind involved each Coy entering up to four Staff with the competition based around points - I'm iffy on events but I was thinking of it centering around a run (possibly in boots) for which Cadets can line the route and support Staff from their Coys (which is the bit that makes it an example for the kids) and some strength events (Jerry can runs, maybe incorporate some Obstacle Course elements). Awards are presented for best individual and best Company team, and are held until the next Annual Camp.

Anyone got any thoughts/event suggestions/format ideas? This would not be compulsory but on a voluntary basis as I'm aware a good number would not want to or couldn't partake, but I thought this could be a good way to inspire some healthy competition among staff and between Coys, promote a bit of fitness in staff ranks and inspire some of the Cadets to get fitter themselves.

I believe that this whole thing could be run by anyone with an OCS qual - which I'm due to do next month - but if not, does anyone know what kind of staff support and planning this would need?

Cheers all.
I wouldn't just focus on physical stuff; that will put off some of the more, err, 'rotund' CFAV.

Throw a cadet-themed quiz in there, some low-level thinking tasks etc. Think crystal maze/krypton factor - and keep it fun for both competitor and audience.

spaz

LE
I've got one:

• Best effort 50 knees to chest
  • Eat 2 bars of butter
  • Bouncing bomb caterpillar race (150m)
  • Assemble a set of 58 pattern webbing with your elbows cable tied together
  • 50 knees to chest wearing webbing in bouncing bomb whilst eating 2 bars of butter with your elbows cable tied together.
The winning CFAV gets a free bar of butter.

Smelly_Tiger

Clanker
I've got one:

• Eat 2 bars of butter
  • Bouncing bomb caterpillar race (150m)
  • Assemble a set of 58 pattern webbing with your elbows cable tied together
  • 50 knees to chest wearing webbing in bouncing bomb whilst eating 2 bars of butter with your elbows cable tied together.
The winning CFAV gets a free bar of butter.
Reckon we could substitute Margarine for Butter for some people? We have a few lactose intolerant Staff.

Or lard?

I suggest you approach the APTC staff at your regional brigade HQ and seek advice as i suspect, like the SASC, they may be a bit precious about their part of the train set.

dwills

War Hero
Cadets don't have to have a fitness level, nor do they have to pass any physical tests, turning enough times gets you passed....

Talon

Old-Salt
Cadets don't have to have a fitness level, nor do they have to pass any physical tests, turning enough times gets you passed....
Yes and no. Ideally they are supposed to reach the fitness standards laid out in the syllabus. If they are unable to reach that standard after a few attempts at the exercises then they can be allowed through on participation points, but it should not be an auto-pass as soon as they have turned up enough times.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T ACF 5
Solitaire97 OTC and ACF 11
Bigcsm22 ACF 38

Latest Threads