Certificates not issued because of Covid19

You've not interacted with many FEO's I take it...

Lol. Not recently, but I was one 20 years ago.

I was surprised at the differences between various County forces in approach to the service; Leicestershire where I was, the retired Superintendent running the team took the view that unless you're outside the defined requirements, it's your legal right to hold shotguns, firearms, whatever, and the team was there to help.

Other forces seemed to take a different view, along the lines "we're here to keep weapons out of private hands".

Had a certificate since I was 19 and just joined up. Never had a problem. Moved from Hants to London, and after Dunblane shed my pistols.

Just coming up for renewal and in July as per reminder went on line to renew. Unfortunately the bit about the medical form being completed by the GP didn’t register until the very end, never done that before. It had always been permission to contact GP.

Printed the GP form and sent it on to them. My practice has embraced lockdown tighter than a f*ing barnacle. You have to somehow obtain an appointment to ring...to obtain an appointment! As for seeing, visiting, or getting examined, better luck winning the Euromillions.

No they were not familiar with the form, that will be £45 before any action will be taken.
No you may not collect it.
No we haven’t done it yet, are you not aware of the COVID crisis?
No we still haven’t done it. Dr/s have all been busy.
No we cannot send it back to you its for the Police.
No we haven’t sent it it hasn’t been done yet.
No we can’t send you a copy ask the police.

Capitulation, they email me a TIF which cannot be downloaded and tell me it has been sent. To who and with what reference God alone knows, I certainly don’t.

Have contacted Fet Lon with a request, if possible, and the renewal is not completed in time for an extension as per sect 7 to just retain possession, until Permit renewed or denied. I had applied in good time, however any delay may not be due to the team, but my Local GP?

My home visits have always been with some really nice guys so no apprehension there. Shoot locally at Sporting Targets, the urge to kill died a while back even though they were consumed. The thrill now, smoking a clay. Rarely do more than 4 boxes at a time now, but still enjoy.

Wondering how much time I will need to lodge guns in case extension not possible?

Friend of mine had his Aviation ME complete his form, permit was sent, but now enquiry as to why it wasn’t his GP?

Jim_diGriz

Old-Salt
SGC/FAC expired at the end of July, renewal was put in 12 weeks before.

Rang them on the day it expired, oh it's ok you're in the system, they are reusing to issue a temporary cert as that shows up on the statistics and makes them look bad.

So I currently have a load of firearms and ammo, no licence and the police are happy with it.

Blogg

LE

Rang them on the day it expired, oh it's ok you're in the system, they are reusing to issue a temporary cert as that shows up on the statistics and makes them look bad.

So I currently have a load of firearms and ammo, no licence and the police are happy with it.

That I regret to say is the very worst type of cynical self serving bureaucratic bullshit and leaves you in a very bad position:

"It is an offence for anyone to be in possession of a firearm without the appropriate authority. Any advice that it is acceptable to continue keeping your guns without a valid certificate should be ignored, even if your renewal has been submitted.

If your certificate should expire before a valid replacement is in your possession, you should ask for a temporary permit, issued under Section 7 of the Firearms Act 1968. It should be granted in the event of an administrative delay."

4(T)

LE

What Blogg says.

The police cannot make up the law as they go along. You are in illegal possession of firearms and ammunition; you really ought to get them into RFD storage asap.

Insist on a temporary permit, and make sure all correspondence with the police is in writing.

Jim_diGriz

Old-Salt
I have the club certificate which covers most of the ammo and some of the firearms, the rest is with a friendly RFD.

The FEO rang one of my referees and went through the normal waffle, 2 days later she rang him back and started to go through the same questions, when she was told that this had already been done she stated that there were problems uploading stuff or she may have lost the information. She was told to go away and find out which it was and get back in touch if the information had in fact been lost.

This renewal is turning into a comedy of errors.

It has taken every single day from the time the reminder landed on the mat.

The GP/medical practice were less than helpful, but eventually after constant polite badgering sent the form.

The team member from FetLondon who did the inspection could not have been nicer and more helpful in expediting, and my Certificate arrived this morning a day after the previous one expired.

The man who inspected premises, security safe and guns had very kindly sent me an email to say that it had been approved and signed but if it was late in arriving not to take the guns out but that I could keep them at home.

Obviously the lockdown has effected approval times but am just glad its all be done again. Till next time.

Obviously if they can't visit due to' using covid as an excuse' ,they won't be able to smash in your back doors in and seize all your now unlicensed fire arms due to covid.

Latest Threads