Certificates not issued because of Covid19

Cheshire police, and lots of others, say they can't do home visits because of Coronavirus and therefore won't be doing any new SGCs until whenever.

Given that the legislation says no such thing, what is the view of shooters on here, current or aspiring, about this? Is it another example of police forces beiing anti-SGC?

Hampshire Constabulary wont progress any new FAC applications, which is pissing off younger bro at the moment.

Didn't stop them taking the money.

Tyk

LE
Cheshire police, and lots of others, say they can't do home visits because of Coronavirus and therefore won't be doing any new SGCs until whenever.

Given that the legislation says no such thing, what is the view of shooters on here, current or aspiring, about this? Is it another example of police forces beiing anti-SGC?
It's reasonably easy to assume that the issuance of Shotgun Certificates is regarded as appreciably lower priority than other tasks requiring police time. It's quite hard to argue that you absolutely must have a new Shotgun Certificate as a matter of priority if you don't already have one and don't own a shotgun, quite easy to argue that you can wait a bit.

Must have vs nice to have.

It's reasonably easy to assume that the issuance of Shotgun Certificates is regarded as appreciably lower priority than other tasks requiring police time. It's quite hard to argue that you absolutely must have a new Shotgun Certificate as a matter of priority if you don't already have one and don't own a shotgun, quite easy to argue that you can wait a bit.

Is taking punters fees a 'must have' or a 'nice to have'?

Just interested in the legalities and practicalities.

I worked in a firearms licensing team myself for a couple of years... not a single person in the team was a serving copper or in any way tasked outside the team.

In that model dealing with SGCs, which iirc is a statutory duty, would have no effect on other police work. (That comment is @Tyk ).

Tell them if they don't issue it by next week you will gun down a copper every day until you get it.
There's a flaw in this admittedly attractive idea.

I haven't got a SGC yet, so I would clearly be committing some sort of conspiracy/planning offence, as using a shotgun without a cert is quite serious.

So is shooting coppers, obviously.

Tyk

LE
There's a flaw in this admittedly attractive idea.

I haven't got a SGC yet, so I would clearly be committing some sort of conspiracy/planning offence, as using a shotgun without a cert is quite serious.

So is shooting coppers, obviously.
That's easy, self identify as black traveller, apparently that's a get out of jail free equivalent.

Just interested in the legalities and practicalities.

I worked in a firearms licensing team myself for a couple of years... not a single person in the team was a serving copper or in any way tasked outside the team.

In that model dealing with SGCs, which iirc is a statutory duty, would have no effect on other police work. (That comment is @Tyk ).
Was the person on the team who checked the security of your house, the suitability and fixture of your cabinet, asked a few searching questions and developed an impression of the applicant - not a Police Officer ?

As I understand it, that is the most important part of the process. The rest is just making sure the paperwork is filled in fully.

Was the person on the team who checked the security of your house, the suitability and fixture of your cabinet, asked a few searching questions and developed an impression of the applicant - not a Police Officer ?

As I understand it, that is the most important part of the process. The rest is just making sure the paperwork is filled in fully.

Most/many forces use support staff rather than uniformed bobbies to carry out the physical checks. That was my job, as i say, and I wasn't a constable.

That's why I can't see how continuing to carry out this fuction could be seen as affectong the policce in a time of crisis.

It's not as if the 8-15 strong visit and admin team in a typical force's firearms licensing department are trained in any other functions.

stantheman

Old-Salt
I'm an FEO in Avon and Somerset, and we are doing loads of grants both shotgun and firearms. All over the phone. Email photos of your cabinet bolted in correctly and the decisions are taken as if we'd done a physical home visit .

I'm an FEO in Avon and Somerset, and we are doing loads of grants both shotgun and firearms. All over the phone. Email photos of your cabinet bolted in correctly and the decisions are taken as if we'd done a physical home visit .
Amazing what was never necessary in the first place...

Blogg

LE
Taking an approach dangerously close to common sense there.

One of the guys in my club was initially told by an ignorant muppet that no renewals (and his was a bog standard renewal after 25 years of holding an FAC) were possible. Nope. Not a chance.

So will have to sell or lodge all firearms with an RFD. Or else.

That lasted for about as long as it took for the letters and emails to the Home Secretary, his MP and Chief Constable to work their way through.

stantheman

Old-Salt
A physical home visit on grants and some renewals is obviously best practice, but needs must. We take the money and provide a service as best we can. I'm an ex cop, did my full time, and now 11 years as FEO. All renewals done on time so at present the system is working.

Pretty good work that force, good attitude. Cheshire are acting like I'm a borderline criminal for even asking the question.

But, there's no reason not to do home visits.

It's perfectly legal.

Some companies are already offering basic online certification

www.safertrader.co.uk

I recall the police H&S crew when i worked at Leicestershire being basica retread ex-Sergeants with a week of training and no real idea.

Taking an approach dangerously close to common sense there.

One of the guys in my club was initially told by an ignorant muppet that no renewals (and his was a bog standard renewal after 25 years of holding an FAC) were possible. Nope. Not a chance.

So will have to sell or lodge all firearms with an RFD. Or else.

That lasted for about as long as it took for the letters and emails to the Home Secretary, his MP and Chief Constable to work their way through.

You'd think a police force, of all organisations, would take the 15 minutes to look at the actual law.....

You'd think a police force, of all organisations, would take the 15 minutes to look at the actual law.....
You've not interacted with many FEO's I take it...

FEO's are not normally cops, but civilian employees with that one task. So it's not taking up any actual police time.

Latest Threads