Certificate of Good Conduct

otbc

Swinger
Having spent the last three years or so in the US my application for the AR has been stalled until I can provide a Certificate of Good Conduct. The recruiters are ambiguous as to what this actually is and there is no set document as this is a requirement for anyone who has lived abroad for a certain time and all countries are different. The US being the US, the bureaucracy is nightmarish and there is no one national (or often even state) system for many things.

Having lived across two states, my plan is to pay the hefty fee for a the equivalent of a SC DBS check (Criminal Record Check) which I think would suffice for my entire stay as anything would likely be flagged up from the state I lived in before.

In lieu of terrible instructions from the recruitment team and no such certificate existing in the US, I hope my plan is sufficient.

Has anyone come across this before? Any advice or opinion is gratefully received.

Letter from your OC attesting to your good character?

otbc

Swinger
Letter from your OC attesting to your good character?
I’m a civilian.

It appears to be a ‘certificate issued by the police force in your country’. Even though no such certificate exists in the US! I’ve emailed the PD in the last city I lived to see if they’ll knock one up for me but who knows?!?

There is no set form. They just want the aforementioned ‘certificate’!

otbc

Swinger
Google is your friend:

Are you a dual national?
Ive already had a look. I’m not a US citizen and the embassy page says that such things are only available to citizens and that foreign nationals cannot apply for one.

Ive already had a look. I’m not a US citizen and the embassy page says that such things are only available to citizens and that foreign nationals cannot apply for one.
Presumably you had legal residence in the US? I would throw to problem over to the US Embassy in London. I would send a polite enquiry for the attention of the both the Defense and Legal Attaches explaining that you are attempting to enlist in the UK's armed forces and that you would appreciate their assistance in certifying that you have no criminal record in the US.

otbc

Swinger
Presumably you had legal residence in the US? I would throw to problem over to the US Embassy in London. I would send a polite enquiry for the attention of the both the Defense and Legal Attaches explaining that you are attempting to enlist in the UK's armed forces and that you would appreciate their assistance in certifying that you have no criminal record in the US.
Good advice. I was there legally on a study visa.

Having spent the last three years or so in the US my application for the AR has been stalled until I can provide a Certificate of Good Conduct. The recruiters are ambiguous as to what this actually is and there is no set document as this is a requirement for anyone who has lived abroad for a certain time and all countries are different. The US being the US, the bureaucracy is nightmarish and there is no one national (or often even state) system for many things.

Having lived across two states, my plan is to pay the hefty fee for a the equivalent of a SC DBS check (Criminal Record Check) which I think would suffice for my entire stay as anything would likely be flagged up from the state I lived in before.

In lieu of terrible instructions from the recruitment team and no such certificate existing in the US, I hope my plan is sufficient.

Has anyone come across this before? Any advice or opinion is gratefully received.
I wouldn't pay for anything. Point out to the recruiting team they are demanding a certificate you cannot provide as you're not a US citizen.

Good advice. I was there legally on a study visa.
So you are in the system because DHS hold your fingerprints, etc. In my experience, the State Dept are usually pretty helpful, more so embarrassingly than our own FCO in many cases.

otbc

Swinger
I wouldn't pay for anything. Point out to the recruiting team they are demanding a certificate you cannot provide as you're not a US citizen.
It’s a certificate they require from everyone who applies and lived abroad in the last 5 years. It’s just hopelessly ambiguous as to what it actually is as each country is different! I imagine in some countries you can just pop into the local nick and make an exchange in return for a piece of official-looking paper!

otbc

Swinger
So you are in the system because DHS hold your fingerprints, etc. In my experience, the State Dept are usually pretty helpful, more so embarrassingly than our own FCO in many cases.
Oh I dunno mate! American bureaucracy is hellish 9 times out of 10. Having come home every time I’ve dealt with the DVLA or any government departments I’ve marvelled at British efficiency. Even things like Direct Debit are unthinkable luxuries to the American. The very fact that the DMV continues to function as it does is remarkable!

otbc

Swinger
A letter of reference from the college or university administration or president?
They’ve asked for it to be from ‘the police force from your country’. The US is a country where even the local shopping centre has it’s own police force so it’s anyone’s guess how to interpret that!

I’m a civilian.

It appears to be a ‘certificate issued by the police force in your country’. Even though no such certificate exists in the US! I’ve emailed the PD in the last city I lived to see if they’ll knock one up for me but who knows?!?

There is no set form. They just want the aforementioned ‘certificate’!

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
They’ve asked for it to be from ‘the police force from your country’. The US is a country where even the local shopping centre has it’s own police force so it’s anyone’s guess how to interpret that!
Drop into your local PD with a catering box of Dunkin Donuts and I'm sure they'll oblige.

otbc

Swinger
It would appear that as sourcing a certificate has been put into the ‘too difficult box’ I’ve been told not to bother and that it doesn’t matter! On I go...

Last edited:

Latest Threads