Discussion in 'Gunners' started by irlsgt, Sep 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We have a battery of 25 pdrs for ceremonial use.

Those the light gun have a blank round??
  2. Surely you just not load the shell?
  3. When they have their open days at MOD Shoeburyness there's always this team who turn out with their 25 pounders which fire blanks.

Basically, they used a cut-down shell case which is further adapted to take a 12 gauge blank. The kids enjoy it, but it would also be sufficiently loud for ceremonial purposes too.

I have plenty of pictures, but can't be posted to arrse them...
  4. Whose round is it?

Aw, **** Off, I'll get me coat
    • Like Like x 2
  5. My bad, that is a truely shocking sentance.

What I meant to ask was...

When firing salutes and what not on ceremonial duties, could the gunners load only the charge? Omitting the shell and thus firing, what is essentially, a blank?
  6. I know f all about arty so I'm not sure.

Just wondering is it worth maintaining the 25 pdrs? (I think you use 18 pdrs?)
  7. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

Bum, I was going to post some photos of the shoebury gun carriage rigged out for a funeral but they were not on this hard disk . It was outside the co-op in Great Wakering .
  8. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

the gun from shoebury RA assn

Attached Files:

9. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

the gun landy outside the Anchor pub . gun landy.jpg

blimey i am getting the hang of this after all .
  10. The 105 light gun has a blank cartridge for saluting purposes. If you'd have taken 2 minutes to use Google, you'd have known that. Idle ****.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Wouldn't want to tow a "Light" Gun with a Horse though and that's a big part of what KT do in ceremonial role.

25 Pdr on roof of Edinburgh castle too I reckon.

105 wouldn't just fire the cart, with no shell - too excessive to give blank effect.
  12. Which is why you get rid of the expensive horses as well?!
  13. We had a 25 pdr in cadets, many decades ago. Given to us because the barrel had a slight crack, so not even safe to fire a charge with no shell.

We "fired" the thing (once a year, when the parents came to gawp at their offspring prancing about in ill-fitting berets) by inserting some electrical fuse wire into a banger, inserting that into a thunderflash, connecting a length of cable to the fuse wire, lowering the whole lot down the barrel and covering the wire in scrim. This all done "offstage", of course.

When "Fire mission one gun" was given (or whatever), one of the gun bunnies connected a 90V radio battery to the wires, the fuse wire burnt out at speed, ignited the banger and hence set off the thunderflash. Usually.
  14. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

any of you from north London may recall a 25 pounder outside a pub in Alma Road ponders end up to the 2000d ish .
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Funny you should mention that...

On a bi-annual inspection I had the delight of informing a CCF (badged navy, RM and Arty, so needless to say a strong 29 bent) that there was no way in gods earth they could have a 'gun run' (navy stylee) between teh three sections consisting of 'guns' made of tyres, actual metal 'axle' (pipe about 5mm thick5 inch dia and 3ft long, a sawed of telegraph pole and some sort of purchased 'scarer' device.

It was metal, had a bolt and you secured a shotgun style cartridge in to it, pulling a string released the bolt. This was screwed on to the top of the telegraph pole 'barrel'...

Their protestations of 'we did it last year' were met with indifference by the OC CTT, Training Safety Adviser and myself (lastly).